1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The game that ruined all others for you

Discussion in 'Games' started by Champ, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    Which game ruined all other games for you?

RTS, it was Company Of Heroes. I used to like Red Alert 2, but now I wouldn't dare touch it or RA3. No C&C either. I don't plan to get a new RTS until THQ makes COH2. Hopefully Starcraft doesn't ruin COH for me:D

RPGs, it was Oblivion. Well, I have that and FO3 tied at first. I couldn't image a better RPG.

Haven't play any FPS that really blew me away. Halo is always good, but the one that almost did if for me was Black the shooter on Xbox. I thought it was ahead of it's time. Just too damn short.

Racing...almost like FPS. Grid showed me how great graphics can look thou. Don't have one here.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Dragon age for RPGs. as far as gameplay is concerned I havent found a greater game.

poxnora for role-playing turn based strategy. disgaea was good, but pcpox beats it on so many levels.
  3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    RTS - Company of Heroes
    FPS - Half-Life 2 Series
    MMO - Counter-Strike: Source
    RPG - Fallout 3
    Racing - DiRT2

Special Mentions that can't be beaten:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    James Bond: Goldeneye
  4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    RPG's I'd have to say Oblivion too. Fallout 3 was just as good so I enjoyed that equally. Its hard for me to enjoy any other RPG even the great games from Bioware because of Bethesda!

FPS? No game has ruined me from playing any other FPS each have there own unique story line and have all been either really fun to play or to boring to beat. I'd have to say though that my all time fav and the ones I enjoyed playing the most were Uncharted 2 and HL series.

I'm not all that into racing games. I try to enjoy them but just get bored in the end.

I'd personally like to see more games like Flower.
  5. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    RTS - Star Craft
    TBS - Civilization III
    FPS - Time Splitters Series
    RPG - Fallout 3
    Racing -Gran Turismo II

Special Mentions that can't be beaten:

Demon's Souls
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    James Bond: Goldeneye
  6. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Once I played that too, it changed the way I viewed RA2, I couldn't go back to it, but its still a great game for its age.

For rpg's it was mass effect 2, I used to think the witcher was a great game (was mature etc) but now I can't get back to finishing it! I have high hopes for the second though.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    COH2 lol, pipe dream and would not want it just addons please or that will be screwed too most likely haha.

DEUS EX
    Fallout 3
    Bioshock 1
    Dragon Age
    Mass Effect 1
    OFP
    Arma
    Hitman 1/2/4
    NWN
    GR
    Diablo 1/2 LOD
    HL1 and 2 but only the second time around
    FEAR

There are others i'm sure

All made me bored of other single player \ multi player games for a while.
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I think Allied Assault has ruined a few games for me, it set the bar pretty high for FPS games.

Shit i tried playing COD4 and that on xbox 360 but god the good times i had on Rainbow 6 Vegas made it seem like turd in comparison. Just having hardcore Vegas players telling you where the enemy was coming and places that we should rush or go to defend, tactics :cool: it was funny when we had one Canadian guy on the team and another guy was like shit thats cool that your from Canada! then started singing Oh Canada lol.

Prolly Rome Total War ruined the RTS genre for me. Massive 3D battles! Goooooood stuff!

That crap Runescape MMO ruined all MMO's for me, shit there might be a decent MMO out there but i hate them all thanks to that POS!

Mass Effect 2 pretty much is my favourite game of all time.
  9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    nwn1
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nothing has come close to HL2 for me. Great story and the character development really soared towards episode 2. I actually felt pretty sad at the end of ep. 2 especially after listening to the actor commentary.
  11. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Quake 3, end of story.
    johnnyfiive says thanks.
  12. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    After I started playing World of Warcraft I stop playing most other games.
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Quake 1,3 for YEARS. Then BF2 for the vehicles and now BC2 for the destructible environments. I can never go back to a static environment in FPS.
  14. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    This. Damn Solaris, now I want to give Hordes of the Underdark another runthrough.........
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  15. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    dude do it. power word kill everything. halarious. when I get my system back me and you should play some multiplayer I think it would be some fun stuff. They have some pretty sweet modules on the servers. but thanks man. IDK what it is. I just cant give it up I always go back.
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I have stages...

C&C started my love for RTS games back in 95. That continued...Sole Survivor still needs a sequel imo, then C&C 3 did it, and I know many will hate me for this, but after SupCom sucked me in...I really did enjoy both Dawn of war styles...the old and the new. Since then, really not much has interested me since World in Conflict...overall one of my most favored RTS games since the original C&C.

Doom started my love for FPS games waaay long ago...then around 97 Quake changed my mind. Now-a days it's a back and forth between CoD and Battlefield. ATM, BC2 takes the cake, for the last couple years, CoD4 did, before that many FPS games fought for the lead.

As far as RPG's go, Diablo II was the end all at the time. Fallout 3 and Oblivion were badass...but honestly, for fun factor I prefer Borderlands...and I'd rather play a game that's more fun for me.

Racing games, really...Gran Turismo ended my true love for PC racing games and continued that trend through 4. Though I never went "next gen" years ago on consoles...so atm NFS Shift takes the lead, I didn't mind Grid, but the issues led to me deeming it not worth playing anymore. Though Grid 2 should be amazing..and Burnout Paradise is still a true blast! But Gran Turismo 3 was probably my most played racing game of all time.
  17. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    EVE. Nuff said on that one.....:slap:
  18. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Never really liked Power Word: Kill. I'd rather go with Meteor Swarm, Weird or Wail of the Banshee :p
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  19. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Meh; I've never been good with mages. Fighter/Rogue ftw. We will do this multiplayer when you has rigz again.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  20. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Good that I dropped WoW since last september :laugh:
    (stopped joinning bitch fests call raiding for almost a year now)
    No more QQ that you can't pew pew. :nutkick:

"Good" old days that scums starts yelling in Taiwanese and I answer back in Cantonese which we can't understand half of it. :p
  21. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    sweet man it works out because unless im an archer Im not good with anything but a mage. and usually im only good with archers because i multiclass :p but it will be good you crowd control for my weak ass and Ill get the rest haha. because DEF sucks for mages unless I spell buf my phys attributes but those will only last a few rounds.
  22. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    It's easier to multi-class in NWN2, I'm having fun with Fighter/Duelist/Neverwinter Nine. :p

If I want some magic I usually go Fighter/Wizard/Eldritch Knight.

In the first game I mostly stick with one class and make it epic but I've also tried out a 20/20 Fighter/Wizard.
  23. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I've heard so much about it and still haven't played it. I need to get on it:eek:
  24. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    RTS - Star Craft. No RTS to date has caught my interest like Star Craft. Only one that came close is Supreme Commander.

RPG - Morrowind. I had over 150 hours in Morrowind, Tribunal, and Blood moon and I was STILL finding hidden dungeons and stuff to do. While Oblivion was great, it couldn't match the immersion and story of Morrowind.

3rd Person RPG - Knights of the Old republic. Easily my favorite PC game of all time.

FPS - HL2+Episodes. Outstanding is all you can say. If you haven't played it, go buy the damned Orange Box already.

3rd Person shooter - Max Payne. One of the best games ever made. Story, bullet time, narration, and gameplay.
  25. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance - Even with all of it's bugs, and CPU devastating AI, I will never be able to truly enjoy another RTS after this.

The scale of war and complexity of both defense and attack possibilities are fantastic, and SupCom2 is a sad drooling joke in comparison.

Before SupCom FA - It was Starcraft + Brood War - Just add High Res patch and it's still awesome even today.
    Crunching for Team TPU