1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The game that ruined all others for you

Discussion in 'Games' started by Champ, Apr 13, 2010.

1. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    for the DotA guys, have you tried League of Legends? DotA/LOL are made by the same creators. it suited me much better than Heroes of Newerth did. Oh, did I mention its entirely free?
  2. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I'm 33 and I still say ff7 was the best game ever made..lol.
    This is preference not age discrimination. I think he had a great list. I didn't want to go as far back as FF2, because most of you likely never even saw it.
    I have a close tie with ff7 and ff2.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    FF3 was better than FF2. But if I remember correctly (I may be wrong) but I think FF3 was FF4 or 5 in Japan. For some reason I remember them skipping a number in the US and renaming it 3 to make up for it.
  4. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    strategy : Fallen Haven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyVVAJi9PY the corny music, crappy graphics etc, but back then i played this game for MANY hours, must have thrown in hundreds of hours on my old 486 with my voodoo card, thats like 15 years ago, god i feel old

FPS, HL2, and all COD games, i personally think they have som nice storys, but especially COD4 got me from the start, and i play it almost every single day. and the singleplayer is nice, and the story is just awesome, almost dropped at tear in the end when CPT Price is "dead".

RPG, Dialbo2 and exp, nothing better than that, no words needed. cant wait to D3 comes

Racing, NFS Underground 1-2 is prob the racinggames i played most.
  5. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi

Duke Nukem

CoD WaW

Guitar Hero 3 Legends of Rock

Mass Effect 1

Zelda
  6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Yea they did that with like all of them..lol.
    Really made it confusing to know what game you were "really" playing.
    I never did play 3 I think. Makes me want to go get 3. I bet it'd just look to bad for me now a days being spoiled as I am. :(

I kind of lost FF until 7 came out after 2. Then I got everyone after wards. Even played FFonline for years..lol. Totally a God killer character. I still have it actually, just sitting there in Lakshmi, poor fellah. :(
  7. reverze

Thanks Received:
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein anyone?
  8. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
    HL2 and it's Episodes
  9. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    ugh, i knew this thread was gonna pop up somewhere. Friggon World of Warcraft ruined all other games.. not that i'd know if they were good or not, i dumped so much time into WoW i never played the... such a bummer looking back now.

good news is battlefield bad company 2 ruined wow, so things are better now lol
  10. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know...Oblivion is a terrible bore of a game yet everyone is mad for it. I do wonder sometimes if it is a Euro V US thing. For example, I think the very best RPG's ever are Gothic 1+2, and now Risen is also damn good. (British) Friends that I have who are into playing RPG games have all tended to totally love the Piranha Bytes RPG games, whereas they have all found Oblivion totally shit, without exception.....and rightfully so. Yet the mass consensus seems to be that Oblivion is the best RPG of all time, whilst the Gothic 1+2 and now Risen receives a lukewarm response from gaming community and media alike.

The same rule applies to Mass Effect....everyone I know who played got bored quick including myself, yet it's a 'classic' apparently.

It's like a totally upside down world to what it should be.

On the topic of the thread, BFBC2 ruined BF2 for me. After a few rounds on BFBC2, I was totally aghast at just how 'off' the infantry game in BF2 is and how nerfed the guns all are. This is a great shame as BF2 is still definitely the better game overall.....if only I could get back into it.
    Frick says thanks.
  11. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    dragon age origins + awakening is the best game i have ever played
  12. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Japan-anywhere else
    FF1-FF1
    FF2-not released
    FF3-not released
    FF4-FF2
    FF5-not released
    FF6-FF3

Starting with Cloud & Co. the names are the same already. The previously unreleased games were re-released this decade. If you want to play all the main characters (and "main antagonists") play Dissidia. :p
  13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'm not a huge fan of Gothic, but you sir are correct! :)
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its obvious that some people like different styles of games... myself, i completed oblivion several times, and may replay it now i have a more powerful machine.
  15. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I'd have to say that my favorite game experience of all time is Final Fantasy 1 on the NES, in my mind no other games can compare to how awesome that game was the first time through. There are still plenty of games out there that I love and enjoy, but I wouldn't put them above FF1.

I still have my NES and the original cart, all fully functional. I'm going to play through FF1, The Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior again sometime soon.
  16. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Shame though that nobody's mentioning Suikoden I & II. Even with the arrival of 3D RPG's in the Playstation the two Konami games more than held their own against what Squaresoft has to offer, even with the latter having a 3D advantage. The great characters, in-depth plot and the fact that there are 108 characters to recruit offset the 2D graphics and effects (although there were 3D rune effects in II).
    DannibusX says thanks.
  17. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reminder! I think one or both of those games are available for download from the PSN. I may have to look into it.
  18. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    i've been planning on playing it for the first time, as i purchased it when my pc sucked and now want to play since i can run it lol.
  19. Dazzeerr

Dazzeerr New Member

Thanks Received:
    Platform | Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2

FPS | Half-Life 2

FPS Online | Tribes 2 / Counter-Strike 1.5

Strategy/Simulation | Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Hospital

RTS | Warcraft 3

RPG | Borderlands

Racing | Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Sandbox | Grand Theft Auto 3

Found it hard to think of RTS/RPG, I've played barely any. :S
  20. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    As a hardcore nerd for Civ series, HL2 really turned me into a FPS style psycho killer, unfortunately the cheating and shit of so many other games has turned me off until something of the GTA, or HL3 class comes along.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  21. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Elder scrolls 3 morrowind. 'nuff said. Even ruined oblivion and FO3 for me, and they were amazing.
    JC316 says thanks.
  22. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Someone else that shares my Morrowind opinion.
    Papahyooie says thanks.
  23. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would have to say:

Total Annihilation. This game rulez.
    Mussels and MT Alex say thanks.
  24. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    It was epic in every way. Graphics werent top-par even for the time, but with the modding system, you can make morrowind look just as good if not better than stock oblivion, just need texture replacements. NO game even comes close to rivaling the scope that morrowind, even stock with no mods, offered. It was buggy as hell... it looked terrible, and looks even more terrible today (stock)... at times it was even comical how bad the voice overs, text, and animations were... but even with all that, IMO it is still the best game ever made.

And bethesda games are the only games that I actually buy a new disk when my disks get worn out. Especially morrowind, they are so good that I do not mind buying another disk to support them and thier games. And to reward me, they don't even put DRM on most of thier games (at least they didnt until recently, and even then its not very invasive.) Proof that non-DRM games can be great and make money, if they'd just take the time to make the game worth paying for, which sadly, most game studios do not.
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ohhh yeah.