1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Good ,the bad the ugly and your reasoning

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by craigo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    So a member took a poke at the make of my mainboard....I poked back.

The guy has a nice rig/board just not what id do....WORDS ON A SCREEN PEOPLE!

anyway with everybodys requirements differing slightly i got to thinking...i run what i run according to my logic...what about yours???

I have no alliegence to any particular brands i was on amd 939 hen the athlons where the smarter buy last build...i started with the asus a8ve-deluxe (via wi-fi) then sold it on to go sli...asus a8n32-sli (nv heatpipe 939 sli)...i stuck with asus cuz the via based board was good and the a8n32-sli was a brilliant board

at the end of its time with me i sold it on and started looking for a c2d solution...i sussed em all out...it was a tos up between the abit crossfire 975 board...(W1zzard was running one at the time) and my badaxe2....after much research and thought i settled on the badaxe and what for my requirements/logic at the time was the better buy....so how do you guys make your purchases i tend to stalk my prey look at the spec the numbers and then the feedback in that order????
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I first decide how much I want to spend on it, then I look for numbers and when I find something that looks interesting, I read reviews.
  3. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    Yes price...I often get the impression people think intel boards are super expensive...not the case!the abit 975 was the same price as the badaxe for me and the new x38 based "bonetrail" that i suggested to a member earlies is cheaper than most of the asus "enthusiast" gear...for instance i paid less for my badaxe than i did for my previoous a8n32-sli...
    people get some strange ideas sometimes

the tj-09 case cost more than my mainboard
  4. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Define a budget > Choose a primary platform > Chalk out the features that you'd be needing > Read reviews > Decide.
  5. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    I - Choose the brand > Fix up a budget > Sum up the features > See what I have already and what I have not > \Reviews\ > Calculate performance and capability based on them > Decide 'n' Buy.
  6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to "calculate performance", reviews do that for you, every component is compared to others in its genre already there.
  7. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    duh, it's like a preassumption about how will it sum up my 'build' since it's not always the same as the reviewers have :rolleyes: :p
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I buy economically not by brand or by price.

For components i first think well do i need what i want, do i need that extra ram do i need that other hard drive, sometimes its simply coz i want a performance boost and i have to decide is it worth the boost or not.
    Then i have a look at what is available from top end to low end, just a look.
    I look at mid range mostly i look at stuff that is cheap but is really good.
    I think that there is no point in buying top range or dear products coz its only gonna decrease in price and get outdated really quick.
    Generally Palit and company like that i buy from coz there is no need to buy from XFX or whatever if there is a card just as good if not better for a lower price.
    I dont skimp tho for example i hardly by no name brands, never buy no name psu hard drives mouse motherboards or cases but that dosnt mean i have to buy top range either.
    I would buy no name for my old rig like no name ram coz its an old rig and it makes more sense to concentrate on the rig i use most.

Top range is all about spec better the spec better the buy.
    Mid range is about a balance between a good spec and price to boot, if its worth another £5 then so be it.
    Low range is about getting the most out of your money or just going totally money saving and buying ultra cheap.

Oh i would by a reputable psu tho spec for psu comes after is it going to be reliable.
  9. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    No allegiance here. I want performance with compatibility and maybe a hint of future-proofing.

Although I at one time did prefer AMD's architecture/engineering designs, but it's old hat now, and it's proven that while advantageous on paper, it's not in actual practice.
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I read reviews and if its a board/chip,i look on xs forum to see how well it overclocks.
  11. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    there is nothing wrong with the badaxe its one hell of a mobo and with some massive voltae does 500+ on the FSB even the current super P35/X38 are still only pushing 550-650mhz.

people need to realize that you should purchase what works best not what looks best. hell i got this set up because it was good for its time and it still is going strong!
  12. TechnicalFreak Guest

I choose whatever I need the system for. Often it is not for gaming, the latest system that I bought from a friend (combo-CPU/mobo/memory) is just what I need to continue my musical work without the CPU starting to hog when 4 apps or more are on at the same time i.e. compressor(s), various synth's, drums, pianos etc.etc.

I don't know why, but gaming just doesn't fit in my life at the moment. However, I find it very interesting to read how & everyone else do when they overclock their systems. Also I find it interesting to both see and read peoples "projects" on how they have modded their case, lapped their HS etc.etc. I hope that one day, by reading what all the "veterans" in here write I will also be able to join the overklocking club..

The system I am currently using served me well, and as soon as I get my case and graphics card, this will be a dedicated F@H system...until the day it "dies".
  13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is madness to my methods . . . .

When choosing a board - I first look through my primary choice, which is ASUS. Knwoing what socket I intend to go for, and chipset, I look primarily at expansion slot layout - trying to determine how it would allow me to install my current hardware, and how the layout would affect future upgrades. If the layout isn't the greatest, but the board offers onboard capabilites to match something I'd have to give up (i.e. wireless network capabilites), I'm willing to work with that.

If ASUS doesn't have anything that I can work with (which is rare), I'll look to other brands. But, yeah, I'm willing to pay over $300 for ASUS equipment - they've been good to me over the years, and haev never had any of their mainboards fail . . . ever.

Any other onboard capabilites are typically overlooked, as I don't make use of most crap, but having the capability is nice for testing out problems with expansion hardware and all.

Memory type is of little concern, as long as I feel confident that I can get the board and CPU to run at my standards. Besides, I tend to prefer to run a jacked up SYS BUS over a stoopid fast CPU clock.

I recently purchased a new motherboard, an ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi board through newegg - not cheap, but covered everything I was needing.
  14. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i have a tendency to leave asus alone vdroop annoys me especially considering my el-cheapo machspeed not only doesn't have that issue even at insane volts like 1.8-2v (yes those are for the cpu) but it also has a lifetime war!
  15. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    I go through a fairly simple process.

Check budget, looks at the reviews for products i'm interested in (which i do all the time anyway), pick out a couple of different brands ie: intel + nvidia/intel + ati/amd + nvidia/amd + ati and compare the performance between them all. Buy the rig that is the best deal based on price to performance. I built my current rig with intel + ati because it would have cost me an extra $130 after the motherboard and such to go nvidia.
  16. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i get told i buy three of everything.. and get laffed at.. he he

my last "upgrade".. three motherboards.. three cpus.. two grafix cards so far but when i most likely buy a 3870 x 2 it will be three grafix cards..

luckily i only go thru this mad phase every eighteen months or so..

i also have three motor vehicles.. one normal car.. one 4 x4 and one errr fire engine.. only one boat thow.. he he

trog

ps.. the good.. initially i try and save money.. the bad.. i end up saying f-ck it wasting it.. there aint really any ugly..
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  17. Skrabrug

Skrabrug New Member

Thanks Received:
    I Choose you pickachu..ehhh I mean ummm.. Socket>Brand>Cost Value.
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I try cutting new tech when it's promising, and proven tech when I need something to work.

I'm intel and ATI. I will probably be intel and NVidia with my next upgrade. For a chipset - if you are going Intel CPU... go Intel. It's proven, it's supported, and you are mostly limited to silicon rather than a poorly written bios.

The 975 chipset is VERY proven, soon on it's way out. I would go for the X38 at this point - unless you already have the badaxe. Oh, wait you do! :)