1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The HD DVD clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by effmaster, Dec 1, 2007.

1. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

ALREADY 32 PEOPLE HAVE CONFIRMED THEIR HD DVD Support

The only requirement is that you cant support both formats or Blu Ray (We need a format winner already people). If you wanna support blu ray create a Blu Ray clubhouse then because Im certainly not going to lol:laugh:.

Just state that you support HD DVD and i will put you on the list

[​IMG]
    and also if you have any HD DVD hardware do tell us though you don't have to have any to be in the clubhouse, just show us your support.:toast::toast:

I hope to see many HD DVD supporters on this website :rockout::rockout::rockout:

Members from TPU currently enrolled in the HD DVD Clubhouse:

1.) Effmaster
    2.) Dr. Spankenstein
    3.) Wile E
    4.) 0elemental0
    5.) JC316
    6.) Freaksavior
    7.) tdamocles
    8.) AsphyxiA
    9.) WhiteLotus
    10.) SSXeon
    11.) kieran fletch
    12.) RaZrSharp
    13.) CrasHnBuRnXp
    14.) erocker
    15.) cjoyce 1980
    16.) bassmasta
    17.) Lemonadesoda
    18.) HookeyStreet
    19.) Panchoman
    20.) Dangle
    21.) SK-1
    22.) department76
    23.) mak247
    24.) gtc954
    25.) EastCoastHandle
    26.) Regeya
    27.) Mussels
    28.) Halcyon 68
    29.) imperialreign
    30.) Water Drop
    31.) 15th Warlock
    32.) Hawk1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  2. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Count me in!!!

I am a BIG proponent of HD DVD! I bought a Toshiba HD-A1 when they first came out and although it had it's "growing pains" (not unlike Blu-ray) it still blows my mind how wonderful it is to see so many great movies in High Definition today.

I'm contemplating getting a XBOX 360 HD DVD drive in the near future for "backing-up" my HD DVDs which include: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Batman Begins, Seabiscuit, Enter the Dragon, The Polar Express, Shrek the Third, The Searchers, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Transformers (and some others I forget right now!)

I am viewing it on a Sony 34" KD-34XS955 widescreen CRT. The picture is nothing short of stunning. I challenge most Plasma, DLP and LCD displays to thow a more detailed picture. In fact, most fixed pixel displays suffer from "screen door" effect. Only the Sony SXRD displays come close.

Ask me anything about HD DVD and I will gladly help/educate anyone!

Great idea, effmaster!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
    effmaster says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Why can't we have both? No Blu Ray is a silly requirement.
  4. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen the ugliness that can raise it's snarling head! On many AV forums, they have to have segregated forums just to keep the "Us" and "Them" at bay.

It's not so dissimilar from the ATI/NVIDIA thing! Hope you understand.
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    But I'm not against one or the other. (With either video cards, or HD formats. lol) I just have both because I really wanted HD, but I didn't want to trap myself if one format does win. I'm well aware of the pros and cons of both formats, and thus, I don't have a preference.
  6. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    True! Highly competitive products make for a "Buyer's paradise"!

But as seen in all markets, support via purchases is what gives one side or the other the momentum to "win" the format "war".

Netflix is cool and all, but when you're talkin' 25-50GB on a disc, one small scratch has just wiped out a few hundred megs of info that the player may not be able to hobble though like it could on standard DVD. I buy mine and keep them in pristeen condition.

Puchases will win the war, not gleeming testimonials.

So c'mon kids! Get on out there and start livin' the HD life!!
  7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, very true.

I just wanted to say that both players are some of the best purchases I've made. I love my HD movies.

Transformers looks amazing, btw. lol
  8. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know! I know! I can't help myself from trying to turn people on to this stuff!

I've got my parents finally enjoying a 55" Mitsu rear projector that they bought 5 years ago. They are like: "Good grief, it should have been like this all along." I just smile and nod!

I actually have less eyestrain when watching HD content. My mind doesn't have to work create detail and ignore compression noise! Ah!.....Sorry, I just took a trip to HD land!
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    lol. I just popper Transformers in.

Any other recommended titles?

My HD DVD collection isn't that big yet.
  10. Dr. Spankenstein New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, baby! Where..to...start!

If your an animation fan check out Corpse Bride. Not Tim Burton's best, but seeing all the fine detail and texture really make you appreciate the effort that went into making these. He has come a long way by stepping up the number of frames per movement. Really smoothes the motion compared to say Nightmare Before Christmas. Shrek the Third looks incredible. I can't wait for the complete set to be released. HD DVD really picked up some access to some great titles when Dreamworks came on-board. Polar Express is pretty jaw-dropping too. I regret not seeing it at the IMAX, but the way I'm seeing it AND hearing it takes quite a bit of the sting off.

I don't know your interest in Kubrick films, but 2001: A space odyssey will never look better. Apart from the hairstyles and clothing aesthetic, you'd be hard-pressed to tell this movie was made in 1968! In the futuristic vein, Blade Runner is comming soon. Whoops! Pooped my pants on that one!

Going way back, The Searchers with John Wayne has incredible detail and depth. 2001, Blade Runner, and Searchers all serve to prove that good film stock (like these great directors:Kubrick, Scott and Ford) has more detail than even HD can produce. Read about the 4k transfer process. 35mm film has approximately 4 times the resolution of 1920x1080: or around 12 million pixels (if film actually had pixels)!

A Scanner Darkley had quite an amazing visual style that I think came across better in HD for color and sharpness.

I could go on, but i shouldn't...
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Huge Kubrick fan. 2001 is now on my "to buy" list. Blade RUnner is on there as well, as soon as it releases. I can't wait for more classics to come to HD. I'm looking forward to it.
  12. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    God and Generals is now out on HD DVD great movie great HD to look at for me;)

P.S.

Wile E if you want I will add you but if you don't like it then you can always create a "We support both HD formats clubhouse" if you wish. Im not going to stop you. Same as Im not going to stop anyone from creating a "The Blu Ray clubhouse" thread from appearing.

And there I just added you and Dr. Spankenstein
  13. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i supposs someones gonna be making a blu ray dvd clubhouse now? :shadedshu: if this was just the HD clubhouse, fuck yeah i'd be in. High Definition is basically an orgasm for your eyes
  14. 0elemental0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have the hda2 and the whole planet earth set...i have yet to send in for my freebies.. hddvd ftw
  15. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    i want a hd-dvd for my 360...i just haven't bought one. i want a ps3 for blu ray like Wile E said, if one loses your still good.

i do plan on purchasing one so can i join anyway even though i don't have one yet?
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't hsve to purchase one to support HD DVD heck I was gonna buy the 360 add on till I had some money issues at home, instead I choose to buy the combo HD DVD formats to still show my support, Right now I watch HD DVD movies in High Def at my neighbors house now till I get some things sorted out

I added you OelementalO:toast:
  17. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    :roll:
    nice :rockout:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the add, effmaster. Glad you looked past me owning a Blu Ray (PS3). :laugh: :toast:
  19. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its awesome. I buy the movies, he supplies the room and board along with the popcorn:laugh:

Hey is anyone good in Photoshop that can comme up with a good banner for us to put in our sigs for the HD DVD clubhouse?
  20. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just promise to buy the HD DVD version of a movie whenever you see that you have a choice between the two please thats all we ask here at the HD DVD clubhouse:toast:
  21. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Count me in, I think that Blu ray is pretty much worthless. HD DVD FTW!
  22. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Youve been added:toast:

Congratulations you are our 5th official member JC316 and as such you get official kudos from me

[​IMG]
  23. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    :cry: i wanna join :cry:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive added you but please do subscribe to xbox live already would you please:ohwell::ohwell:

Freaksavior please:shadedshu
  25. tdamocles New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for HD DVD. LOOK here.....I don't want to be forced to pay the high price for a Blu-ray player. I'd like to have a choice between the lower priced player and if need be the more expensive player later....All this crap with storage this, bandwidth that, is making my ears bleed....If it gets a superior picture compared to SD DVD and is priced right than I am for it. By the way I have had an A1 and now own an A3 connected to a Mitsu wd57731 DLP.