1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Heatsink with NO FAN...The Sandia Cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cadaveca, Jun 28, 2012.

1. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    well put sir...

In all honesty I would like to see it too... it's time for a bit of a heatpipe revolution.

But having been through the TEC craze and the Danamics Liquid Metal hype, I can't help but be a bit jaded - not at the science - but at the end result. :ohwell: Still if it works... it would be awesome, the scope of application is much more than the initial idea - and that is great thing.

2. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    having put my hand inside pc case before tampering with stuff and catching it on a fan while the pc was on
    i can see this destroying my finger

3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    To be fair, tecs work you just need even more heatsinks/rads than you usually would :laugh:

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't agree more. It sounds like a 90s hard disc with noisy ball bearings and is certainly intolerable. I can only hope that this level of noise is due to its prototype status and that a production model would use quiet FDB bearings.

5. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Considering that this cooler works on the principles of fluid dynamics, one would imagine they would end up using a motor with fluid dynamic bearings on the final product, right?
    Of course, like Dave said, this is a division of Lockheed. They'll probably end up licensing the design out to a few manufacturers and it will be up to the manufacturers to decide what types of motors, bearings, shrouds, etc. are used. Sort of like a video card: Nvidia or AMD designs a new card and sends the design specs to their partners, who then make changes as they see fit.

Even so, I think we're jumping the gun a bit. Sandia is just now getting to the phase where they show it off to prospective investors/partners. It's been almost a year since we saw the proof of concept, now they have a working model. It could be another year before that working model sees production.

6. qubit

Thanks Received:
    It does make you wonder what's so hard about refining this new type of cooler for production readiness, doesn't it? After all, this is just a cooler, not something extremely complicated like an IC design or something.

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    then what are you complaining about???? In anycase when the design is finalised it should come with a shroud that stops people putting their fingers in.

If you look carefully, the design is similar to the squirrel cage coolers that come on the reference coolers of graphic cards.

I dont see any problems with the 'safety' aspect of the design what so ever.

Like Random Murderer said, its common sense unless you feel the urge to stick your fingers in every fan once you got the side panel of your case open.

Either I fiddle with my pc when its turned off or I leave it running with the sidepanel off and dont touch the insides - i.e. look but not touch.

and if i do have to touch then i make sure my fingers dont get pulled into the blades of a spinning fan by its gravitational field the motor might make or the fans sucktion - which less face it. its hardly gonna drag you in as if you were in 300mph winds in a wind tunnel

8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ^^ it probably would work well on a videocard.

9. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    I think in the end, the final production model will have just as many cons to it as a traditional heatsink and fan. At this time, there are just too many variables that will not allow this to be practical.

10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, the video says that it will be enclosed in a cover of some sort, so safety won't be an issue.

11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    still i will question its effectiveness till they release some data.
    i dont think this will work. but then again, i hope it does something, heatsinks are becoming too dull and similar nowadays.

12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Using a set of 5-6 heatpipes in a U formation these could function nicely and some sort of crazy dual tower cooler.

They did mention processors of 150w, if this thing can cool 150w that is pretty damn efficient and up-scaled or with a slightly different design it could easily cool over-clocked processors .

13. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    If this thing is floating on air just barely, but what happens when you actually use it in your computer and its side ways wouldn't it just fall off?

14. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL Yeah I was thinking the same thing. This is kinda lame really, The thing is a accident waiting to happen IMHO.

15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and if you had a horizontal case, you couldn't move it, because it would drift off.

16. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I smell a lawsuit!

17. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is nobody watching the video? lol

18. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    The fin assembly is secured to the motor's spindle, which is in turn secured to the base. When the fin assembly stops spinning, it just rests on top of the base. It was stated in the video(or a previous video/press release, can't really remember but it was mentioned by someone else as well so I know I didn't imagine it) that the unit can be mounted in any orientation without problems.

Delta6326 says thanks.
  19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    If this uses a cushion of air to transfer the heat from the stationary base to the spinning impeller that can't be that efficient. Air is a terrible conductor of heat...

I'd like to see some actual performance numbers compared to traditional heatsinks.

de.das.dude says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  20. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    When acting as a gas, sure. In this case, the air is acting as a fluid.

21. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Oh ok thanks i wasn't 100% sure(I was think it had to be connected some how) I watched the video, but I guess I missed that part.

22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Stationary air is a terrible conductor of heat.

pressurised fast moving air is fairly decent ( what the cushion is)

23. rectifryer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Couple of inconsistencies I see from a practical point of view here:

1)Dust will collect on inside of the impeller. I don't care what they claim. Until they put this in a room with 3 cats for a week I don't believe a word.
    2)It will take far less dust to block the inside of the impeller than a normal setup.
    3)They must comparing efficiency based off surface area of the heat exchanger, that is the ONLY way this could be "30 times more efficient". Even then, Its not smaller than a conventional air setup.
    4)Stationary air is GREAT insulator.

24. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, dust will inevitably get caught on the fins, hair even more so.
    They're comparing it to current industrial heat exchangers for things like transformers and solid-state lighting, not to conventional PC cooling solutions.
    Operative word being "stationary."

25. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    ~Sigh~

1) Dust collects because there is a fouling lay associated with fluids. The slower a fluid travels the larger this fouling layer is. Functionally, you can prevent dust from building up if the fouling layer depth is less than that of a dust particle. Extremely fast moving air can have this small of a fouling layer rather easily.
    2) See 1. No dust buildup means it cannot be blocked.
    3) No. They are comparing a larger heatsink, like the heatsinks you see on higher end cooling (think 212, and similar coolers). As explained way earlier, the increase in conductive and convective cooling is huge when the "bearing" material is a flowing fluid. Not hard to see the volumetric efficiencies being 30 times greater than conventional solutions.
    4) STATIONARY. You make two assumptions when you say this. There is no convective cooling, and there are no fans. Air is a fluid, that moves based upon a large number of factors. Coolers generally have a fan to move air, which brings cooler air into the mix so that the difference in air temperatures (heatsink versus ambient) is higher. Higher temperature differences provoke more heat transfer.

Practicality means understanding the basics. Needless to say, the substantial change in the "basics" of how this cooler works are why it might be difficult to warm up to. Without citing any specifics, I would recommend that you take another look at the assumptions you are working under. A flawed set of assumptions can be interpreted correctly into an incorrect answer. I know I've been guilty of that in the past...