1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Heatsink with NO FAN...The Sandia Cooler

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cadaveca, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    The only way dust will not collect on these fins is if there is negative air pressure. The shape of these fins is wrong for that. They would need to be more a traditional "tear drop" air foil design and even then there would be some dust gathering.

What they are doing here seems cool but if they are truly using "dead air" then this will suck as a cooler as the heat will not dissipate until the molecules gain enough movement to expand out past the positive pressure. Basically this thing will get SUPER HOT before passive air cools it......slightly in the dead space within the cooler.
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps. But all I can think of is those VGAs that spin the fans in reverse to blow dust out...MSI, i think?

Lie yeah, much of this is, for me "Cool, but..uh...I can't buy, can't see working sample" so I'm not very sure of it either. I just am willing to listen, and then judge a final product, than to denounce something unproven. I'm more than willnig to give them a chance to prove themselves and this technology.
  3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Just because I think that their dustless claim is BS doesn't mean im not willing to give them a chance to prove the tech. - I'm assuming everyone here knows that my prior posts are my opinion, and should be taken with a few cartons of salt.

It's fun to speculate - you have faith that their modeling software and their theory is correct, and dust will not stick to the blades of the cooler - which is valid. I on the other hand, predict that because it spins and has airflow around it, in reality it is destined for dust, and their claims are exaggerated.

It's food for thought, and gives us stuff to talk about while they're bringing it to market.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    There honestly, there is no substitute for keeping your rig clean. Unless you live in a sterile environment, which most people don't.
  5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes only the fins on this are not stationary so there other forces in action.
  6. pabloottawa

Thanks Received:
    static electricity is what makes most fans and heat sinks collect dust. Anyways, this horse is dead guys... Agree to disagree
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i came up with the conter: hair. once hair or debris sticks, the dust will stick to that. if they can prevent that problem, this will be great.

edit: and static electricity has nothing to do with fans gathering dust. no idea where you got that idea.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure it's already been said, but I don't plan on sifting through 3 pages :p

But I wouldn't call this a Heatsink with no Fan. I would call this a Heatsink as a Fan. Unless I'm looking at this wrong. I'm just curious how this actually dissipates that heat as it can only be connected by the drive motor in the center basically. How does the heat get transferred up to the spinning heatsink. Though like I said I could be looking at this completely wrong.

Either way I'm a bit skeptical of the idea itself. With the fins/blades so close together and with that kind of RPM, I don't see how new air can be introduced. I understand they want to expel the stagnant air and that rpm helps that. But with such narrow gaps in there I almost see this thing creating a barrier around itself that pushes fresh air around the outside, rather than into and out of the cooler.
  9. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The heat is transferred through the air bearing it's self, the air moves in such a way that it essentially works as both a constant flow of fluid ( working like a block and water running through it) and a nigh on frictionless bearing.

Regarding air flow, once it starts spinning the air in this thing is forced out, that creates negative air pressure allowing it to draw in fresh air again.

It basically works like a centrifugal pump.

Like others have said this is all technology we already knew works well, they've just put it all into one package.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  10. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    it does. surfaces with charge attract paper pieces and also dust in the same way,

but since the whole thing will be made of metal static electricity doesnt even exist.

@themailman impellers dont have a teardrop or airfoil design. airfoils create lift and a pressure difference. impellers scoop up and fling the air.
    this is very similar to a centrifugal pump.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah me and Dave talked about this in TS yesterday. I was confusing this with a cyclone design where the air is pulled from the bottom. This is more like a vacuum concept.

Also what I said is these would have to be more of an airfoil design IMO to not gather dust. However how they are doing this with negative pressure and blade speed in theory would in fact stay dust free or at the bare minimum dust resistant. The concept is very cool. I was just confused about air flow. I still think the escaping air will pull some of the air "pillow" out from the bottom of the cooler but Dave disagreed with that. I would love to see a thermal image of this thing at work.
  12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

There's a PDF floating about somewhere in the thread that has all the technical information you'd need as well as some thermal images to look at.

As well a design for a condenser for an AC ( instead of weaving pipes through a radiator they just made a spiral out of the pipes and stuck two of these things either side of the coil )
  13. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    there is one in the pdf.
    also... who Dave?
  14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    <------------------

:toast:
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  15. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah. i had forgoten. tired and sleepy.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  16. StanMen New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW Fantastic !! dammm i want that cooling sis ! i'm prity sure that this going be the future of CPU cooling ! amazing thanks for sharing this info with us bro ! Cadaveca! thanks !
  17. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    sorry to destroy your hopes and dreams... but this is not the future of cooling.
    StanMen says thanks.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Do. Want. As long as it has a long life span and doesn't become a projectile should it fail.

Then what is? It's about time someone uses CAD to reinvent the fan. XD
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    this is just a cooler with use only in places were space is limited. think servers and HTPCs
  20. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Dude, this thing can replace the condenser in a Air Conditioning unit.

[​IMG]

That's a condenser! ( albeit a fairly big one)
    FordGT90Concept and qubit say thanks.
  21. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
  22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not according to it's URL!

URLS don't lie man :laugh:
  23. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
  24. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    ?

I understand, what I hope to be, the sarcasm. The issues are:
    1) Water cooling in a car is done by simple heat transfer. There is no condenser, as no phase change occurs.

2) The energy required to spin this thing will prohibit it from being used in larger applications. Maintaining that kind of velocity with a higher moment of inertia would require substantial motor power, which would make the cooling system less efficient.

3) Radiators provide a surface so that heat can be ejected into the surrounding environment, rather than circulate within the fluid loop. Condensers shift the phase of a material (usually gas to liquid in cooling), so that the cooling loop can use the subsequent phase change back to remove energy from the system.
  25. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Waaaaahhhh?

1. Why are you talking about radiators on a post about condensers.
    2.This thing doesn't require all that much power, after all once it get's going it supports it's own weight so will be spinning like a regular fan surely. ( and thus use the same amount of energy as a fan spinning at the same speed, did you see how long this thing can coast for? so long as once upscaled they still support their own weight they would likely use the same amount of energy. Considering some air conditioning fans use silly amounts of amps already this shouldn't really be a problem,)
    3. Yes I know this, I'm so confused man lol.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with what I said.

Sandia have a condenser type design within their PDF ( it's basically two Sandia coolers and copper piping)
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012