• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The hints and tips thread for NVIDIA owners

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
This is a thread for us NVIDIA owners to share hints and tips to help maximize the performance of our graphics cards. This is especially useful where the performance could do with a slight boost to hit a smooth framerate so I'll get the ball rolling with this simple tweak.

By default, the driver balances power and performance when playing a game, which has the effect of throttling the GPU and thus reducing framerate to keep power use down. This inevitably happens just when you need the most power to keep that frame rate up and somewhat negates the money spent on your PC and any overclocking efforts.

To stop this happening and get the maximum framerate from your card, simply change the power management mode from Adaptive to Prefer maximum performance, like in the screenshot below from the current 347.09 driver.

Note that you can get the best of both worlds by leaving the globel setting to Adaptive and then set Prefer maximum performance for games you play the most. This helps to keep heat and noise down when web browsing with hardware graphics acceleration turned on in the browser without significantly impacting performance. Typically YouTube videos will cause the fan to ramp up significantly, which can be unecessarily noisy on some cards.