1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The magic of Siri

Discussion in 'General Software' started by qubit, Nov 27, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I've played around with it for a bit on a friend's iPhone and I have to confess there's definitely something to it. It's ability to understand you is uncanny. Given the incredible difficulty of designing such a system and the resources that have been poured into it over the last 40-odd years, who'd have thought it would be Apple that would make an advance like this in artificial intelligence?

Hence, this editorial of someone that uses it daily is interesting.

Now we just need the competition to catch up.

PC World

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried Siri, but it doesn't recognise "Asian English". Unless they can finally recognise my speech pattern, Siri is quite useless to me.

KieranD says thanks.
  3. jlewis02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use it all the time

4. N-Gen

N-Gen

Thanks Received:
    Well, there's Iris.

5. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Apple didn't man, another company did and Apple bought them, siri was for sale IN the app store before :laugh:

I've had a play with it as well and found it to be a combination of a chat bot and voice activations nothing amazing/ground breaking.

qubit says thanks.
  6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    It cannot comprehend a Scottish accent either.

Mostly seems the same as shouting at a Kinect except with an iphone there isnt any real need to use voice commands because your not far away from the device; example: i could tell my xbox to shutdown but with an iphone in my hand id just be aswell pressing the button.

Id feel like a wally if i used Siri on a bus :laugh:

EDIT: Speed dial and leaving voice recordings might be handy but nothing "OH WOW I MUST HAVE THIS" because i can already do everything.

7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but not even humans can so its a moot point.

Siri seems cool, I've never witnessed it in person, but it looks like it can really bear the title of voice recognition software.
    However it only works well in English, for example the German version has its fair share of troubles, related to grammar and syntax.

Nevertheless, its a cool concept that seems to work well, and they should continue perfecting it.

theJesus says thanks.
  8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Ah, that explains it. I thought it was unlikely that they would develop something like this.

Well, it might be a trick, but it's a damned good one and good enough to be useful.

9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Pffft not all Scots talk like teuchters. Im sorry but my experiences with Siri have been rubbish, Apple fanboys tout it up and i cant think of many practical applications. Someone please prove to me its usefulness in the setting of a smartphone and prove its not a gimmick.

10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I know you didn't direct your comment to me, but for the record, I'm about as anti-Apple as you can get, yet I was impressed with the way Siri worked. It might be a trick, but it's a very good one!

11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Handy in a car, but then again there's other apps you can get for voice controls in car.

12. 1freedude

1freedude

Thanks Received:
    I asked Siri "what is the best android phone?" She said, would you like me to search the web, I said "no, just tell me," and the bitch ignored me.

13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I would have loved her to have said Samsung or something! :laugh:

1freedude says thanks.
  14. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that was a question in general to anyone.

Lots of cars have voice activated commands with bluetooth built in and there are hands free kits. I dont see how Siri is special in that regard. Voice commands have good uses but in regards to a smartphone i think the uses are limited, i dont think the software is all its touted to be. I dont know the general user experience so i can only go by my own feedback and it cant really understand my Glaswegian accent.

If it works great for you and you find lots of uses for it then its 'good value' for you but not me. Its not really artificial intelligence either its just things mapped to a certain function, it doesn't make its own choices.

15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    That last bit there is the crux of it, isn't it? It sounds like a very clever trick, but one that works well enough to be useful.

It's a shame about the accent problem. I guess that's where a true AI would have faired considerably better. Mind you, I often stumble with strong accents, Scottish included, so that must make me... :eek: