1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Mass Effect 3 Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by killarobot, Mar 12, 2012.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    meh beat the game not impressed,

gameplay 8 / 10
    story 8 /10
    Replayability 1 / 10
    Ending 2 / 10
    Prothean DLC 9 /10 hes a badass everyone knows this

Gameplay, itself was fun fantastic even, story up to the last 15 mins was pretty damn awesome, those last 15mins killed Mass Effect for me,

for those wondering giant spoiler warning about the shitty endings lol
    you will notice no matter what ending you pick the mass effect relays explode, when they explode they destroy the entire cluster its based in, this is according to information presented in Mass Effect 2 DLC Arrival where you destroy a relay to delay the invasion, this destruction destroys the star system its based in, this means no matter what ending you pick Earth, Palaven, etc would have been destroyed along with Sur'kesh, Krogan DMZ etc etc, giant plot hole right there, in the end all choices you made in Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 are negated they mean nothing at all, best ending requires 5000+ Effective military strength, which requires Online play, even then its Shepard taking 1 breath thats it, doesnt matter because oh yea all mass relays got blown up remember? The only difference between any of the endings is the COLOR of the explosion yes thats right the COLOR thats it roflmao, regardless every other aspect of the game was fantastic.
    an example for those that dislike reading my posts
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Bioware said back when they released ME that it was going to be a trilogy. Bioware/EA could have changed their minds though. EA will always want to mine a profitable resource regardless if it should be buried or not.
    lilhasselhoffer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  4. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    the only way another ME game happens
    is if it takes place during the same timeline as Mass Effect Trilogy aka a nearly 4 year in game span OR a prequel something based on the first contact war maybe etc, after all bye bye mass relays means its gonna be 100s if not 1000s of years till galactic civilizations recover and have the ability to travel to each other regularly if they survived at all again boom mass effect relay explosions.
  5. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Heh, that might happen if you didn't complete the Shadowbroker DLC in ME2.

The thing that irks me the most is that on my entire play through, I only had one biotic (Liara). I always had to take her with me for her singularity. I wish they went back to ME's character development system where you choose what powers everyone has based on 3 basic categories.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    I wish i could equip them with armors.... so they dont look all the same, i miss that from ME1 the full customization was fantastic,

anyone else notice upgrading weapons in ME3 is worthless? damage etc doesnt increase at all, weight doesnt drop blah blah blah,
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Best ending for Mass Effect 3:

After a large explosion, the game cuts away to Columbo. Telling the story to a sickly Fred Savage in bed, finishes with the words "The End" and closes the book.
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    beat it, hated the endings, and thats that, its not a bad game but the endings are really really poor to me, first time through I had two choices, which were both bad endings(to me they were bad) with over 4000 fleet.
  9. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    you need 5000+ Effective Military Strength for the best ending,

also find it hilarious started a new game+ and my paragon / renegade / reputation bar dosent move, because i was 75% paragon and 25% renegade i couldnt choose the paragon option, new game + beat it a second time also couldnt choice Paragon ending either, pretty BS honestly, with DLC info being leaked with further appearance and weapon packs etc coming Im not that impressed. most content is on the disk from the looks regardless.

eitherway doesnt matter i bet a DLC pack with different endings arrives later on. much like Fallout 3 etc
  10. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    So, what happened at Bioware?

They introduce a galaxy that is living. Interesting races, unique story lines, and a reasonable quotient of disbelief. The second game makes two steps forward, three right, and stumbles four back. The atmosphere turned "gritty" (code for we're out of ideas), livened only by the occasional glimpses of good story and character in NPCs. It was a good game, but didn't improve everywhere.

Now they give us this crap. The best ending is
    a huge cock tease that Shepherd lived, which is only begging for another installment.

I can take the depressing endings, the happy endings, and even the WTF endings. What I can't take is EA forcing Bioware to leave openings for a fourth game. A trilogy, as Bioware stated this would be back when ME was an Xbox exclusive, needs to tie everything up. This game left huge plot threads from 2 dangling, had enough ambiguity to create fan rage that is rarely seen without being from 13 year olds who just learned to swear, and doesn't fulfill the basic tenants of good writing. All of these complaints are from the last 15 minutes of the game, so your mileage may vary.

On top of this travesty, EA tries to stick it to our wallets one last time. Day 1 DLC, continuing the controversy about what can be locked onto a disc before it is no longer viably termed DLC, and forcing those who want a rich single player game to suddenly have a tacked on multi player experience crucial to the single player all make this game a failure in my book. Even if they release a fixed ending that isn't so unfulfilling, my money is that EA will want $10 for it. That insult is why I try all EA games before I buy. $60 for a great game is a worthy price, but $60 for rote lather and repeat crap is why EA is garnering so much hate from people. At least they have the NFL license to fall back on [sic].

To sum up my thoughts I need you to imagine something with me. You have a nice ice cream sundae set in front of you. You eat the cherry, take spoon full after spoon full of tasty ice cream. This is good! Then all of a sudden you get a funny taste in your mouth. You look down, and there's a coating of human feces on the bottom of the bowl. That tasty sundae is ruined, and you'll be wary of every subsequent sundae you get at that restaurant. Thanks EA, for making my Bioware sundae taste like crap at what should have been a moment of triumph.
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Seemed a lot like Deus Ex infact totally ripped it off more like. None of the endings really made sense and where all pretty much cut and paste jobs. Some plot holes, contradictions and nothing was tied up. All the endings are really the same thing in principle, same shit happens with a different colour.
    LOL at the total bullshit ending where Shepard is under rubble suggesting he was in London the whole time.

Who and what is the kid/crucible AI? Where did it come from? How can synthetics theoretically end up killing everything when that is contradicted. How can the kid/catalyst AI be so sure that synthetics would end up destroying all organics?

Only option is apparently the cycle but then you are given multiple options? DUMB.

I dont really give a shit about Shepard dying to save the Galaxy but i just dont understand most of it. Needed more closure and answers rather than just everything you did makes no sense or was worth doing at all because any ending is the same in principle. None of the choices you make matter.

Those SLOW MO walking bits got annoying, ESPECIALLY at the ending. On the last mission i too was getting random AI bugs with my squadmates.
  12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I just saw the ending and it made perfect sense to me.
    The "child" is basically an ancient AI (interface for one at least) that doesn't want to be threatened and the only way for it to ensure its security is not allow any species (organic nor inorganic) to become powerful enough to threaten it. So it slaughtered everyone that poses a threat every 50,000 years, learning from them as it goes in order to further guarentee their continued survival.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why the AI would allow anyone to destroy it. It's obvious from your options talking to the Illusive Man that there is no choice to save the Repears and let the cycle continue. The AI may know that its doomed so it puts the options on the table of how to end it.

Virtually all games have a teaser for a sequel at the end but that doesn't mean it's coming. Hell, it could just be a "happy-feely" thing so people don't feel sad Shepherd is dead. No matter which choice you choose, the Reapers are gone so where's the antagonist? I think that's the end of Mass Effect. They'll move on to another project.

Agreed. Those nighmares, even having seen the end of the game, still seem useless to me.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Nothing is ever really made clear.

The AI says the cycle was created to stop chaos, the chaos that synthetics might one day wipe out organics if organics where ever left unchecked.

If it was just repeating the cycle to maintain its survival in my mind it would be easier to kill all the organics, rather than merely maintain a cycle.
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    They need organics to build more Repears and maintain the ones they already got. It's no different than agriculture for humans. They let us multiply so they can feast.

If they wiped out all organics, they would eventual die off because they require DNA.

I believe the whole order/chaos BS is just the excuse the AI has for justifying its actions without exposing its real intent.

...listening to it again, the thing that doesn't make any sense at all is why the AI helps you. It failed by proving organics are superior to the synthetics which leads me to believe that the Reapers, and this AI, is in multiple galaxies. It has to get rid of the Repears and try something new because they're inadequate. If this were the case though, there shouldn't be an option to take control of the Repears.

Yeah, I'll just stick with the authors had some lapses of judgment in this finale. They should have just had you hit a button for "kill all Reapers" (since the plot dictated you can't side with Illusive Man) and get rid of the whole child/AI BS.

Edit: I just finished seeing all three main endings (symbiosis, control, and destroy). As I stated above, I think all that BS should have been removed and have a button just to destroy all Repears. This BS about that AI is unnecessary/poorly thought out and I guarentee you that most people are going to choose destroy anyway. So what's the point? It's like an after thought they tacked on at the last moment.

List here: http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/03/mass-effect-3-endings-guide/

There actually aren't that many major differences when it comes down to it. Shepherd can only be saved with a readiness rating in excess of 4000 though.
    I'm seeing a lot of people commenting that ME3 multiplayer is horrendous. I think I'm going to break out the memory editor to set "readiness" to greater than 5000 on my next play.

At first, I didn't agree with you. Now I do having seen the endings. Deus Ex at least lets you create a save before making the decision. Bioware/EA, of course, aren't so kind.

Yeah, I loved Mass Effect but everything else out of Bioware has been crap in my book. I don't get why people love them so much.

If there is a Mass Effect 4, it will likely be a prequel from before the Protheans that explains how the mass effect portals, and Repears came to be. Though I still think it is unlikely.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    There will be more Mass Effect games. Some of the devs have talked about it, and EA sure as hell won't abandon such a profitable franchise.

EA and its investors call the shots, not Bioware. We're probably going to see a ME mmo or a dedicated FPS series.

You have enough people paying for the all DLC and all the cross-promotional merchandisning to ensure they ride this until the wheels fall off.
  16. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    This explains a lot.
    yogurt_21 and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  17. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Guys!!! How much are you playing/day that you were able to finish the game already????? Really, no school, work, social life at all???!?!? :eek::eek::eek:
  18. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Three days in a row non-stop. XD

It was an ME1 -> ME2 -> ME3 renegade save though so most people ended up dead shortening the length of the game.

You can use a memory editor such as Cheat Engine or Artmoney. I use Artmoney.

1) Create a separate save incase everything goes FUBAR.

2) I recommend doing this while on the Normandy so you can go back to the readiness console to get exact values. You will need at least one "war asset" in the galaxy map. The more the merrier because it will make editing values less risky.

3) Scan planets until you find one and note which group it belonged to. Mine was "Special Ops Team Zeta" which is 103rd Marine Division, Alliance. It is found in the Hades Gamma cluster, Plutus system, Nonuel planet.

4) Load the save you made prior to scanning the planet so that asset is still available, you know what the value of it was before (in my case 103rd Marine Division had 100 points), and the value after (Team Zeta is worth 20 so 120). Search for the value before collecting the asset. It will be a 4 byte integer. You'll get a ton of hits, don't worry (it was memory address 0x36xxxxxx for me both times but very doubtful it will remain that way for everyone).

5) Collect the asset and filter the new value (in my case, 120). You should get less than a dozen hits now. You can either play it risky and change each one to a unique value (e.g. 121, 122, 123, 124, and so on) or you can play it safe by finding another war asset that affects the same group (e.g. 103rd Marine Division) to further narrow down the list.

6) Once you have pinpointed the value and can verify it in the readiness console, add 10000 to it (assuming 50% readiness) to get your 5000 required to make the best endings available to you. You can reopen the readiness console to verify the change is successful.

7) When you are satisfied, save the game and reload it to verify the change is still in place.

8) Continue saving the Milky Way.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps one should look back at the comments from 2007: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/19/mass-effect-trilogy-aims-to-begin-and-end-on-xbox-360/.

For those that missed the wording:
    So for those that missed it, the TRILOGY is over. The story lines should be wrapped up in a pretty little bow. This is not the case. Chalk it up to a new singular writer, EA pressure, or whatever you'd like. This does not make the narrative failure any more acceptable.
  20. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    My friend got shipped two copies and got billed for one so im down loading the game now. I have both ME1 and 2 looking forward to trying this one thou have seen bad reviews so im glad i dident buy it.
  21. Vincy Boy

Thanks Received:
    I played and loved ME1 and ME2. Immediately after finishing the first two games I played them again and cranked up the difficulty, something I rarely do but the story was so enthralling I had to play again and try upping the ante. My ME3 experience was pretty much the same up to the last 10 minutes. Now I was not expecting some grand fairy tale ending but something that did not have me in WTF-mode for the last 2 days. As it became clear that the ending defied all logic that was built around the game and went totally against the theme of being able to shape your destiny with your choices, I was so incensed that I ended the process from task manager! It has been 2 days since I finished it and I have not been able to bring myself to launch the game again.

The more I think of this the more I feel this ending cannot be real. This ending creates so many holes that it just cannot be legit. There's no way that intelligent people who designed these games could so royally fu*k up. I'm trying to comfort myself with this I guess. But I would still be upset if this indeed is the case and there is DLC that "fixes" this ending. I feel insulted and cannot see myself purchasing DLC for ME3. Ah eff this, my head hurts. Serves me right though. I somewhat neglected my morning-sick wife for 2 days to play this thing.

So what do you guys think?
  22. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure they'll put out some kind of DLC that'll have some kind of alternate ending to it.
  23. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yup, just finished it myself - cant help but wonder what the eff they were thinking.

its seriously like they didnt have an ending so they gave us some very vague bullshit so they can DLC the ending in later.
  24. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Haven't finished my first run yet. But I feel worn out by this game.

Maybe due to using an early run of ME2, with Mordin and Garrus dead, and some bad decisions made.

But it just seems they made this one much darker and it feels grueling to get through. A lot more of running around and wearing down of bosses instead the fun skirmishes of ME2.

Perhaps I will like it better with a better game save. The payoff would be a good ending, but from what I hear, that's not going to happen.

At this point I enjoy almost prefer the multiplayer. I get more feeling of camaraderie that I got from ME2.
  25. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Even if they release the complete ending as DLC, I wont buy it. :nutkick: Bioware