1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The most legitimate end-of-world theory I've seen.

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Yo_Wattup, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check this out:

If you are into science at all, even a little bit, you'll want to read this. It's a long read, but give it a chance. Pause BF3, go put a coffee on, and take your time with the reading.

I have no idea what to think of this.

Thoughts?

Please don't comment unless you've read ALL of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes i manually downloaded, uploaded, and wrote the http code for all those images. It was hard. :D
  2. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    ok, ok, i got to the part where it's said that they detected the jets coming from the black hole in the center of our galaxy. big deal. ANY black hole is going to produce jets as soon as you toss something at it, the size and power of these jets depend on how much crap you toss at the black hole and how much it can swallow (it's size).

the other thing is, let's presume that this "mystical energy" is radiated from our SMBH - it had to reach us already otherwise we wouldn't even know about those jets it's emitting (and their radiation would take a bit more to reach us).

i call bs.
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    BS, simply because there's no such thing as an "end of the world." You have to be more specific, like "end of the world in what is considered 'reality' " or "end of the world in the current timeline that is perceived by humanity."

The most legitimate "end of the world as we see it" theory is the "if the world that we know of ends, we won't know it ended" theory.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    You kind of had me, then you made the comment about underground societies and the creator using this as a way to reprogram the universe.

1) Million degree wave fronts, that are as big as suggested, will barbecue everything on this planet. Having a mile or two of dirt between you won't save you.
    2) If this happened the atmosphere will boil away long before any life will have a chance to restructure on earth. This kind of a thing would mean that all life in our galaxy gets wiped every few thousand years, which seems more like a creationist idea than anything else. Rapture anyone?
    3) Coincidental date? The Mayans stopped making their calendar for this year, but didn't understand black holes or even the structure of the cosmos. Why anyone puts their faith with a Mayan doom "prediction" is beyond my understanding.
    4) What legitimacy. This guy has culled together various works, and cobbled together an idea. There is little more than a goal in mind, that has been retroactively justified. The particular wording relating to NASA denying ETs and this theory rings particularly true of a person who has lost their objective grip on reality.

5) This person has linked crop circles, mass effect, and unproven science to a vague idea of apocalypse from more than a thousand years ago. What makes it any more legitimate than the other theories of apocalypse? Vague science, visuals, or perhaps this person has some credible work on their plate. No to all the above. Please keep the crazies away from my science.
    digibucc, heky and LAN_deRf_HA say thanks.
  5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Well makes for good reading and unless you have a vast knowledge of astronamy then it's hard to really "disprove" what he is saying other than he sounds like all the other doomsdayers out there, and he did kind of lose the plot toward the end talking about ET and crop circles as well as tuning into meditative oneness... I mean really?

Still enjoyed reading it as i do with a lot of dooms day predictions, though I have survived them all before, I'll be damned if this one wins and will be partying come 31/12/12 :toast:
  6. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I read the whole article.

The bottom of page 16 and into page 17 is the standard doctrine from the Blavatsky/Crowley crowd...I'd be very careful here.

I, for one will be enjoying my two-strand DNA just as the Author intended.

Liquid Cool
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It's creationist BS. And no, I don't have to subject myself to the whole lot to be able to tell. I read a bit, it started talking total bollocks, so I skimmed through the rest of it.

For example, it said something about black holes blowing up every few thousand years. You really don't need to read any more than that, to tell. For all practical purposes, black holes are perpetual and will still be around alive and kicking when the universe has expanded to the point that there's nothing more to see in several trillion+ years.

If you really want to learn hard science about these things, here are a few legitimate sites that cover them:

www.space.com

www.universetoday.com

www.newscientist.com
  8. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This shit makes me so angry. I wish these threads were just deleted. When nobody practices even an iota of critical thinking conspiracy theories run amok. I blame Fox's propaganda tactics in large part for the mainstreaming of this mentality. They really fouled things up with that moon landing conspiracy program which did rather epic and lasting damage to our collective sanity. Since Obama has been in office they stepped up with pushing government conspiracies with either Beck or some nut job guest so they could get controversial shit out without taking the heat for it. Which is just moronic. Conspiracy theories set a mentality that just inspires more and more theories, inevitably unfavorably targeting everyone.

It's like rounding up just the people you hate and infecting them with some deadly virus, then being surprised when it spread to you and everyone else.
    the54thvoid says thanks.
  9. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    please read up on how main sequence stars work. the sun is not randomly gonna go into giant phase. and even if it would it would take longer than 1 year for the sun to swell up to have any significant effect
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yes and... the evidence of stars closer to the core of the galaxy getting "bigger" is more anectodal than anything else, yet leads to the conclusion that it will happend to our own sun.

Fun reading

[​IMG]
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  11. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    ^ this.

I think the science and technology forum seriously needs a moderator to filter the BS from the practical.

It's pissed me off from it's very inception that anyone comes on with a piece of spastic science that is based not on science that then starts a 'scientific' discussion revolving around anything from theology to philosophy.

Can i request officially that the Science and Technology section is reserved for such things as are found in well respected scientific/technology journals that deal with pure science/technological innovation as opposed to the OP which is pure, unadulterated, fanciful, non scientific BULLSHIT.

This is a tech website. Many forums have been closed due to their 'non-techiness'. Maybe this thread should be moved to General Nonsense and torn apart there.
  12. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a hard time believing an space article that misspells launched with lunched.....
  13. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Old "new's" theory to me :ohwell:

Man will kill himself long before the sun has a chance to go red giant.
  14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Its mixing up fact with fiction/theories to try and sell you a story.
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    hmm this guy says sun generates this much power every second.

power means the rate of generation of energy per unit time.

so power per second?

this was probably written by a stoned hippie. also there are A LOT of gramatical errors!
    FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  16. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    read it
    wasted my time reading this crap if it had been printed i at least could have had a shit and then wiped my ass with this article
    qubit says thanks.
  17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Most likely thing to occur for 2012-2013 is the consequences of a Sun going through its normal 11 year solar cycle. The cycle is observed by counting the frequency and placement of sunspots visible on the Sun. Solar variation causes changes in space weather and to some degree weather and climate on Earth. It causes a periodic change in the amount of irradiation from the Sun that is experienced on Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle

Look at the graph and effects on Earth

I recall reading from NASA's website that based on how Sunspots were forming we (as in our Earth and Satellites) are going to experience some rough solar storms mid 2012-2013.
  18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I was suddenly getting hungry when reading it... glad you cleared that up. :)
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  19. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
  20. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Meh, our sun isn't gonna doing anything "exciting" till LONG after we're all dead and buried. I'm more concerned with "The Ring of Fire" Our own planet is gonna stomp us long before the sun ever will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire
  21. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The last time I read about the sun becoming a red giant it said it wasn't due to happen for another couple of million years..
  22. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Was it really necessary to post, as opposed to link to, all that?
  23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yup. If the Cascadia fault goes soon (who knows) and goes big (likely) it will be bad for NW USA. If Yellowstone erupts (likely) soon (unlikely) it will be very bad for continental USA and hence the world.

If the volcano on tenerife erupts (likely, long time off) and starts the massive landslide into the atlantic (small chance) then the resulting tsunami might wipe out East Coast USA and parts of Western Europe (teeny chance).

If Iran gets Nukes and goes all Jihady, Israel's screwed then the entire middle east becomes the new setting for Fallout 3.

If the powers that be keep ignoring the CO2 emissions and the BRIC countries want to be just like the West (Yes, Brazil IS in the west) then we're looking at very uncertain and possibly more frequent extreme weather. Regardless of cause the planet is warming (http://www.skepticalscience.com/)

In short, we're little tiny creatures on a giant ball of molten rock with continual environmental upheaval swirling round a debris strewn playing field with a giant nuclear inferno in the middle continually being bombared by everything else that's out there. It's a miracle if we ever see Kepler.
  24. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I found this to be a nice read. It doesn't even matter if I agree or disagree as it really was a good read for me.:toast:
  25. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Someone pass me the bong... :roll:
    EarthDog, Soylent Joe and cadaveca say thanks.