1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Myths Of Graphics Card Performance: Debunked, Part 1

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by qubit, Feb 10, 2014.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This is an interesting article even though an old hand like me knew everything in it anyway, but did it help any newbies? Makes for a good reference, I think.

I do like the bit about the wife being impervious to the supremacy of the writer's graphics cards, lol. Just how true is this?!

Read the rest at Tom's Hardware
    erixx and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    when you start having problems gaming, you do have problems, not when the latest benchmarks obliterate your videocard. ;)
  3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    So contrary to everything W1z has posted there is no benefit to overclocking a 290X they say......seems questionable.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    If we're talking about the stock cooler, then I think it depends somewhat on the particular sample and they all throttle. To me, if the bloody thing reduces its clocks anyway, what's the point of clocking it faster?
  5. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
  6. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    This article was useless it's for people who have no idea what they want(console gamers).

Fun fact reaction time has little impact on your KPD.
    I have an average 290-300ms(much worse than average human) reaction and yet I stay in the top 5 for insta kill Cube2:Sauerbraten game modes when I'm in a good mood.
    I can't see beyond 45FPS but I do tend to get better accuracy the higher the FPS is even if I'm on a 60hz monitor.
    erocker and Steevo say thanks.
  7. jormungand

jormungand

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^ what he said, i think on a excuse of a console gamer , no way im picking a shit&&//y console over a pc never, the article has its points like throttling cuz heat , but there are a lot of aftermarkets solutions agaisnt heat!! so what OC is out years ago and will keep that way. Wizz have probe it lot of times ocing gpus here and he get significants gains on it. Seriously that article doenst help no one, is just justifying a point of view useless!!! IMO
  8. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Fast at shooting everything but the enemy still fails.

I have been playing console as a peasant with friends and they no longer let me have the pistol, or always use overcharge shields. Running riot + headcase with a controller, sniper riles are fun too.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  9. jormungand

jormungand

Thanks Received:
    this wont stop people from oc their gpus and less entusiastic gamers like are a lots of them here!!!! there is a huge difference between console "noob" gamers and pc gamers. thats why pc gaming isnt dead already
  10. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I tried the click test AVG 268 wireless mode on my Logitech G700 Wired mode AVG 236
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    why does this sound like a bunch of excuses, rationales to justify an existing opinion?
    WhiteLotus and marsey99 say thanks.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They certainly do not all throttle. Overclocking is more than setting a frequency. It's also about validating the overclock with temperatures and doing things like checking GPU usage.

Because that is exactly what it is.
    heky says thanks.
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes they do. It was all over the tech press at the time, with graphs to demonstrate it and statements from AMD about it. The card would throttle all the way down to 727MHz at its most extreme. If the card can't maintain its stock 1GHz due to an inadequate cooler when it warms up, then how is it going to maintain anything higher?
  14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So you're speaking about a specific card (290/290x)? Cooling goes hand in hand with overclocking. Don't bother if you don't have the right tools.
  15. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Back when the 290x had the throttle issue, a quick driver fixed it, which bumped the fan slightly, by 7%. My 290 didn't throttle on air even with a slight OC just over the 1ghz mark with a fan increase.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes of course. The stock cooler on the 290/290x. I said that right at the start, in response to Steevo's post.
  17. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you are as dumb as they were (or were they crafty?) and set the card to quiet mode and try to O/C you aren't going to have any success.
  18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    while the reaction time test is fun, um... every monitor has a different amount of input lag, along with people's different mice polling rates, OS versions, drivers, etc etc...
  19. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    only card worth ocing is the titan xD

is this an exercise in how to twist the facts to make any point you wish?
  20. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    No. They clearly showed, that when you limit the noise to 40dB(A) , the only card from the bunch that could actually improve at those fan settings was the Titan
  21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So the takeaway is this: Sometimes you want to use v-sync, sometimes you don't. Input lag only matters to certain people in certain circumstances. Some games use more memory than others. If you want to keep to a certain sound level, overclocking might not be worth it. Yay.
    wesley_farkenharder says thanks.
  22. mechan New Member

Thanks Received:
    qubit - Filippo Scognamiglio from Tom's Hardware here. I promise you, the wife part is true! Also, she's a former professional gamer (CS 1.6), so if even with that she remains impervious, there really is no hope at all ...

:)
    RCoon and qubit say thanks.
  23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I just tried the reaction tests. Approaching 40 and reflexes at on average 300-320. This explains a lot to me now about why I lose in BF4 gunfights, lol. Age is such a bitch.:nutkick:
  24. LightningJR

LightningJR

Thanks Received:
    vsync is a no no for me and fps games, I can not handle any bit of input lag when playing those game. Even my Sony LCD TV has too much. For most other games it's fine, like civ 5/dota2/terraria/ etc.. but I do notice some games react badly with vsync and the lag is HUGE but I have not come across any of those recently.
  25. qubit

Thanks Received:
    A TV by definition will be very laggy since they use IPS panels or similar, plus the electronics are not tuned for low lag.

You want a 120Hz strobing monitor for the lowest lag and best blur-free picture quality.