1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Myths Of Graphics Card Performance: Debunked, Part 1

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by qubit, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    set it to game mode. i game on a sony 46" these days. even in that silly test i'm always under 250ms.
  2. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Don't feel too bad. I am in my 20's and I was getting the same average on the visual one. 20/20 vision but never great at sports. Maybe its that I use a tv for a monitor.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of qubit.
    marsey99 and Frick say thanks.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Sick and tired seeing the same old people take cheap shots at qubit just because of his past with TPU. Grow up both of you. If you don't like what he has to say, you don't have to read it, and maybe take a second thought before you post pointlessly to essentially insult the guy.
    GreiverBlade, qubit and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  5. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Toms Hardware is such a crappy site. Much love for this site and hardforum, every time I go over there (TH) I remember how much better it is here.

Even anandtech gets too caught up theoretical nonsense and their reviews don't tell me if its a good product.
  6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Nonsense. You buy what you can afford and overclock the hell out of it. It really doesn't matter what it is, it can be overclocked. Even my mice and router are overclocked. I expect no less from any other component. Overclocking is free and only requires your time. Not doing it is just plain stupid, because it simply works. Gains in Natural Selection 2 that i'm playing a lot lately is just insane. Overclocking the HD7950 from 1000/5000 to 1100/6200 made a significant gain of 20fps (from 84 to 105) in main menu where the game shows fps counter with ingame 3D rendered background. I haven't bothered checking how it is ingame, but on same servers with 32 players, it feels significantly smoother. So, overclocking clearly works. I just can't see myself lowering the settings, i just can't do that, because the game turns into something what developers didn't intend during design time and that makes it crap. Spending tiny bit more when purchasing the card for better cooler like the WindForce 3X also helps with silence if you tune the fan profile curve to your preference. It will be dead silent, yet still within reasonable specs. it's performing so well i see very little point in buying any of the R9 series cards. maybe R9-3xx and since even that will be just a refresh, i probably won't even bother. Unless they bring something really interesting, like the GCN was to the old VLIW and i'll buy it out of curiosity.
    heky says thanks.
  7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    That wasn't a cheap shot, Love, but I'll keep that in mind. And I'm not sure I like being lumped into the group of "same old people."
    erocker says thanks.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that does seem like a cheap shot against qubit, and kinda uncalled for. his news articles didnt mesh with TPU's style and that was that.

i think the article was flawed based on chosen hardware. the lower end the hardware, the greater the overclocking gains. getting high end hardware (and high wattage!) with known thermal throttling issues was not a good way to test overclocking.
    RCoon and qubit say thanks.
  9. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Part of being an open forum is being called out when information is wrong, or facts are slanted. It wasn't Qubit that wrote the article that I am aware of, and (almost) all of us agree the article is slanted and provides little if any real information, so it seems like a fluff piece written for the sake of showing that brand X is better than Y in this far dark corner of obscure testing that no one in their right mind ever does, comparing retail cards to one press release card.

When someone does it consistently they paint a target on themselves.
    eidairaman1 says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    By the way best gaming experience is still on a crt monitor lol.

yes that article is a flawed way of thinking and should be disregarded by even average joes (those who dont overclock,or even know about it or afraid to). Once i have my entire parts set ill be running with vsync enabled to see if any major performance loss is there.
  11. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I apologise for generalising, I was just a little mad about it is all, as there are other more senior members who seem to be making a bit of sport about it recently.
    MT Alex and qubit say thanks.
  12. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I never run Vsync, the diagonal cut partial frames don't bother me but the latency increase does. I have good vision at 20/15.
  13. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Mussels says thanks.
  14. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    yes, as that is very much a real world restraint for everyone. it is in no way is an unrealistic limitation which is used to to make a point at all.

if i knew what the hell you are on about i might take offence at this post dude, idk :/

save derailing this pm me so i have a clue :)
  15. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I think he just link dumps toms hardware but i am not sure. This and the steam thread...?
  16. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    On my actual PC at home I managed 180's on the audio, and 250-280 on visual, on my work laptop with a wireless mouse I was 200-250 on visual.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    227 visual
    134.67 audio

This is fun!
  18. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    It's the little things am I right.

I did the tests on my work computer which is a POS on a POS monitor. Will test at home.
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Me too. My mouse came with this thing.. In 2007 lol. Works fine though.
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Ouch corrective lenses. 20/20 here