1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    no news about the official LAA yet?

2. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Somebody needs to tell Bethesda, "No lollygagging."

sixequalszero says thanks.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's supposed to be released this week.

That means by Sunday? Or is Friday the end of the week in the US?

4. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Friday is the end of the business/work week. Saturday is the end of the whole week.

5. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Anyone know what the deal is with DX11 and Skyrim? Is it already in the game or are they planning to release it later on.. I've taken a break from the game, not because I am bored but because I've clocked up to 224 hours in the past two weeks :roll:. Going to get back in after they release the next patch and after I've collected the pieces of what's left of my life.

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Daggerfall, imo, was weaksauce. Arena was superb for its time, and definitely worth the glance, at least, but I've never really seen any mods for it, so I don't think it would stand out today vs current games.

5 Million points folded for TPU
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Better or worse is not something you can say.

Bethesda released Skyrim with several years of technological differences. Oblivion came out in the early days of Xbox 360, and was thus constrained by the obvious technical limitations of the time. Skyrim got a lot of developer love, and the vanilla game shows that the developer's experience has done a lot to better the game.

Skyrim has learned from Oblivion's mistakes, and made new ones of its own. The leveling system gives you a lot of room for unique characters, without making the game unplayable if you level up wrong. At the same time, the amount of bugs upon release is substantial in Skyrim.

The two stories are very very different. While they may start similarly, the progression and pacing are entirely different. Giving away anything more is a spoiler that I won't offer.

Given that these games are like comparing granny smith and red delicious apples (similar bases in being apples, but different in important aspects), you can't say which is better. I prefer Skyrim, assuming that the modding community maintains their current pace for the next several months. Oblivion is a good game, but I find that broken weaponry and a broken leveling system put me off of enjoying Oblivion as much as Skyrim.

This doesn't even touch the earliest Elder Scrolls games. Those titles suffer from graphic and mechanics comparisons, but back in the day they were awesome.

8. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    They probably took an arrow in the knee.

theJesus and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  9. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it a common bug for one to enter Dragonreach and then never be able to leave back into Whiterun?

I went there for the quest asking the Jarl to let me use Dragonreach for something and after I got done talking to him, I try to leave Dragonreach into Whiterun and the game just loads forever and never gets done loading???

10. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of this bug before.
    I have heard and experienced CTD by entering or exiting an area.
    As a work around you can always use the command console and type coc whiterun but this will most likely not fix the bug.

I;m not sure what would have caused your problem in game, but I am certain the problems where, people get CTD when entering or exiting an area is caused by quest conflicts which Bethesda are apparently patching.
    The issue is I don't think the next patches will resolve a saved game which already has the bug.

11. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I never heard of it either. Can you reload an earlier save to before you enter Drangonsreach? Then check if the same thing happens when you try to leave?

12. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    That would be 14 days straight of 16 hour days of Skyrim... You sure thats right? :laugh:

random says thanks.
  13. random

random

Thanks Received:
    lmao my bad I didn't realize it's been a month since release. big sign that I need to go out more.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  14. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have tried going back to earlier saves and walking back to Whiterun, but as soon as I try to leave Dragonreach, it just goes on loading forever and ever...

15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Did you modify UGRID? because if you modify UGRID and then save and then set it back or lower it the game wont work right.

16. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have never modifed ugrid. I just have installed a lot of mods that mostly deal with graphics and the environment.

17. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I had this when I started using the google maps mod, and it wouldn't let me back out into Whiterun. If you disable that (undo the ini changes), it should be fine...

helloWorld says thanks.
    5 Million points folded for TPU
  18. helloWorld New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try that. Thank You.

19. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been experiencing massive performance stuttering whilst in caves/tombs etc with draugrs with spells. It can happen every so often to being as bad as every 5 seconds or so.

Basically it's like the game completely crashes for a few seconds, and then it starts running again ( fraps stays frozen too and then goes from 0-fps to what ever it was before in a second)

Is their any hardware faults that could cause this or is it just a perk of playing skyrim to long ( also occasionally happens when I'm saving the game which is not fun at all XD)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  20. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Thats why its such an amazing accomplishment. Now count in work and sleep...

@pantherx: I've never had any stuttering, so I doubt its your hardware. I blame the mods...

Folding for Team TPU
  21. random

random

Thanks Received:
    If you're running vanilla the components I can think off that can cause these symptoms are the RAM & hdd.

22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got some texture mods running, serious HD landscape textures,water,flora( with lush trees this one is amazing! get it, trees look like trees!)

Aside from that that not really running anything other than some basic ini file fixes.

It only seems to happen after I've been playing the game a long time though ( for example from 10 PM -7 am session last night lol it started happening around 5 am)

23. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    What is the console command to type in to get my follower: Illia to return to me?

Is there one? I told her to stay at my house and when i returned she was gone. I can't find her anywhere and I absolutely want her back. She kicks ass.

24. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Thats why I double checked, most people work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. So during those 5 days wit would be 16 Hours of Skyrim + 8 Hours of Work + 0 Hours of sleep = 24 Hours. Even on his "weekends" the average person needs 8 hours of sleep, that would mean 16 hours for skyrim and 8 hours for sleep, 0 for anything else.

25. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    That's how I'm planning my christmas hols starting Friday next week.

I'll be missing Christmas :ohwell:, because I'd be in Skyrim :D