1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Friday and 11:00pm here, and still Bethesda's 4GB LAA fix isn't up on Steam. (They said it would be up by the end of the week)

I could play using the mod on the Nexus, but that makes my AMD driver not optimize for crossfire :(

At 2560x1440 all on ultra with 8xAA and 16xAF forced through Catalyst Control Converter, with the LAA fix I get low fps but no crashes. Without the LAA fix I get high fps but with lots of crashes to desktop. If I install any texture mod I won't be able to play for more than five minutes.

I am missing my mods. I'm running the game vanilla, I'm not even using the 'no blocky faces one'.. :(
  2. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just curious, how do you ppl find is a good quick way to lvl? My char is like lvl24 iirc. Its gonna take forever to up my skills some more to help me out where I am. I normally get in bout 5hrs wkdays and all wkend long. I've only been on here for bout 1 1/2 wks now. I'm gettin ready to hop it right now after this post lol.
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Smithing, enchanting and alchemy. In that order too it would seem.

First of all turn down the AA; why do you need 8x even if you had the horsepower? I sure can't actually see a difference between that and 4x. Like in any game. Also why are you forcing it from the driver? Secondly have you tried scaling down to a lower res? It will be letterboxed but may help a lot.

And I have no actual evidence but I really can't help but suspect the apparent crossfire issues are worsened by your single PCB setup. I really have none at all with my GPUs, especially since 11.11c. I am presently using the LAA mod too.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    The only thing pisses me off is I can't get to the launcher to change these settings unless I login to Steam...
  5. sixequalszero

sixequalszero New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Oblivion, five grand soul gems, enchant five items of clothing with 20% invisibility. I was bored after that.
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:

I was just testing. Using AA and AF settings through the game makes me lose fps, whereas forcing them through the driver does not. To be honest on a 27" single monitor 2560x1440 I don't see any difference. Unless the forced AA through AMD catalyst is all a gimmick. I might post a couple of screenshots for you guys to check out here, but still, if I don't see it, then why the trouble? Probably I'll just set AA and AF to 'application settings' for now.

I really have to take a break from Skyrim though it'd be hard since there's a lovely weekend ahead. I've been dreaming about Skyrim, not dreaming about playing it but dreaming of being in it :eek:

Imagine this, last night in my dreams, my sweet 85 y/o granny (who's still alive and kicking) was dead in the game... and she confronted me as a draugr :wtf: So I ended up spending all night searching for my dad to ask him whether it would be ok for him to kill his mom again :twitch: especially since she was 'evil' and wanted to kill me. omg... :shadedshu... :slap:
    Ahhzz says thanks.
  7. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Ok. Yeah no need to force unless the engine doesn't support it or you want to use Super Sampling or something crazy. It's just more overhead at the very least.

Sometimes I force AF even if there's an in game option but not AA. More like I just left it on in the driver sometimes regardless of what I was playing. Thankful for the new app profiles, to be sure.

Wow, you really got "the dreams" lol. I had a few in the first few days when I was off work and playing for hours on end but not anymore.
  8. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure I had a dream I was in game running down a steep mountain and I would keep on running back into the side of the mountain so I didn't lose any health on the way down.
  9. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

I'm glad I don't have problems like that, by that I mean I'd have no problems punch my draugr nan in the face.

:laugh:
  10. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    My dreams are generally more involved; There usually aren't people I know, but it hurts to get shot and bludgeoned with axes. And the girls are hot.

I also had a minigun while in the skyrim world. It was great.

And I could fly. That might've come from playing Oblivion with the flying mod though...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. sixequalszero

sixequalszero New Member

Thanks Received:
    So how many dragons can each of you take on at once?
  12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Iv managed 3 before. It was absolutely insane and I barely made it. I also think it was a once in a lifetime because I dont think ill ever be close enough to that manay dragons at one time again.
  13. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I've only killed the one outside of Whiterun, I haven't seen any randomly flying around. I do quite a bit of walking. Did I miss something?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. jonathan1107

jonathan1107

Thanks Received:
    Can you guys tell me if you have a performance increase using the new 12.1 drivers from AMD ???
  15. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    No the frequency progresses as you do.
  16. sixequalszero

sixequalszero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've found heaps from just walking around... =/
  17. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, eventually you are gonna need a horse so you can move from carrying all the dragon bones and scales (especially if you're not fast-traveling).
  18. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    You can't fast travel if you've got too much crap with you.

I was picking up everything when I first started, and I had like 350 in weight by the time I got out of helgen keep. Its kind of a drag, lol

Edit: I stole my horse from a peddler south of riverwood. Actually, I got there just in time to see a bandit kill the peddler, then I killed the bandit and stole the horse.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, I just killed a mountain cat and his dead body was bouncing on the ground and started spinning really fast as it went way up in the air and disappeared into the clouds. Thats an odd bug. I'm diggin the nude mod lol. I think I may change there side tho and make 'em bigger.

I'm just aimlessly running round killing anything that has a red dot. I'm trying to lvl.
  20. sixequalszero

sixequalszero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well then I shall aim for three! What level/diff/class were you playing?

I just start a new game on Master, and installed the Deadly Dragons mod, along with many others...

[​IMG]
  21. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Most dragons I have killed at once was two ordinary dragons with my old character, yet it could have easily taken on more by the time I had finished.

The new character can has taken on a blood dragon and a dragon priest by the time the dragon had lost half of it's life.
  22. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Exactly hehe, i still want to get "noticed" once in a while as well, and it seems i can't always spam shadow warrior perks this way :)
  23. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
  24. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used to be awesome....till I took an arrow in the knee

^ that was funny and a lil cheezy.
  25. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    So absolutely no news about LAA patch or anything else, right?