1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    it will be left up to modders,

on the 360 / PS3 you cant see the normal map artifacts mostly due to 720p getting stretched to 1080p on 30 inch or better tvs, means you cant see it its to blurry on top of lesser texture quality etc.

so for bethesda its a non issue a minor inconvience for example when LAA that was released was a needed patch for most PC users ;)

you wont see bethesda fix the normal maps, hell there so easy to fix as is that it dosent matter.
  2. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I don't really understand it, but now that I've got my 580 in again I've gotten a 8 fps performance boost. No idea why when I tested it earlier fps were unchanged vs my 470. Maybe that performance mod is able to express itself better with the 580? Idk
  3. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    There isn't much point to them fixing that, because it'll still suck compared to the mods that everybody is using. I know, I know, "but what about the consoles!?" well, fuck 'em
    Ahhzz and Kwod say thanks.
  4. popswala

popswala New Member

Thanks Received:
    :rockout:
    jonathan1107, Kwod and theJesus say thanks.
  5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Does your GTX 470 have 3GB of vRAM too?
  6. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Fuckin' hell, entropy, I just noticed your specs. How long have you had all that stuff? Did you have to suck Santa's dick or something? :twitch:
  7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Take a guess.
  8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I tested a few different areas, including the infamous "overlooking whiterun test" and didn't notice any difference at all in FPS. Didn't bother checking actual CPU usage, but I assume it wasn't any different.
    AphexDreamer says thanks.
  9. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    theJesus you could use Nexus Mod Manager if you don't fancy Wrye Bash, it's very rudimental though but it gets it's job done and you can track if your mods get updated.
    I use it as a downloader (so I can check if a MOD gets updated later) and then proceed to make BAIN packages for Wrye Bash
    theJesus says thanks.
  10. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a try sometime.
  11. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Wrye Bash good times, i used it a lot to make mods go along with each other better, particularly useful with Mayu's Animation Overhaul back then
  12. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you could avoid using the esps for custom animations with Mayu :toast:
  13. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Wish a ne animation overhaul comes soon, i would like to have combat animations and personal moves that is unique to my character (would also love to see some unique npc animations as well D: )
  14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
  15. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes I had 'caught' that a couple of days ago.

Here's the mods I'm using so far. This game is getting prettier and prettier :)

[​IMG]

Apart from that, ini tweaks to improve the shadows and remove the flickering, and to give shadows to trees, rocks and terrain.
  16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Starting to think maybe I should use that mod manager, hard to keep track of updates XD
  17. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I made a folder holding all of my mods. Then I made sub sections (like animation or texture), then if the mod had numerous downloads (like high texture special weapons, high texture glass weapons, etc) I would give it it's own folder, then drop the rar's into that. That way they were all organized. Then I would mark all of the files on Skyrim Nexus that I use (click the binocular symbol on the mod pages), then you can track them in your profile, it will show their upload date, so just remember the last time you updated.

Then when a new update comes out, download it, overwrite the files you had organized, then place the new files into your game.
  18. Black Panther

Thanks Received:

True but supposedly a totally new mod is released and you want to use it instead of an existing mod. Or you discover that a mod is causing conflicts...

It's much easier with Nexus Manager because you click on the mod and you get the option to either disable it or uninstall it completely. Without the mod manager you'd have to go into your data file and delete each and every file one by one..

For example, I originally downloaded the full version of Skyrim HD. With my dual core processor and 2560x1440 resolution it brought the game to a halt. So using the manager I 'disabled' the full version of Skyrim HD and installed the Lite version, which gives me no fps hits at all :)

If I didn't have the Nexus Manager:

Nearly all my mods are hi-res textures (clothing, armor, junk, furniture etc etc...) If I delete the entire textures folder I'd have deleted all my mods! Whereas to delete the specific texture files, there are hundreds strewn all over the data/textures folder!
  19. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I guess it was that .dll file.
  20. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yes of course but I thought the mod manager wasn't quite ready for prime time. If others are finding no issues with it at present then perhaps it's time to try it again.
  21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The only reason I suggested my method was, because the last time I used that Mod Manager it didn't even load half of the texture it was suppose to. So using it for easier organization and not having it actually activate half of the mods is pointless.

Deleting my entire textures folder isn't a huge deal, takes me about 2 min to make a completely new one. Which to me was a much better scenario than half a mod manager that might not be turning on all of my mods. Also you can't rename anything in there, or make your own OMODs (or SMODs I guess),maybe you can now, but you weren't able to before. So sometimes mod makers don't name their files with names that are easy to keep track of. Each mod I grab I rename to like HD Skyrim v1.2. So I know exactly what I have instead of something like high_texture_skyrim_1_2, who knows what that could be if I have a ton of texture packs that are high res.

If Nexus Mod Manager worked flawlessly, it would be the obvious choice, but if it doesn't that I will stick to the manual method, and since the last time I used it, it was broken badly, I stick to my method till later.
  22. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    A lot of mods have junk or shit textures so I have to piece them out and take the best bits and delete the rest. Sometimes I have to edit the files themselves. Right now I know I'm running a ebony texture no one else has and I don't think I can mange shit like that with the manager.
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  23. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have mixed and matched ground textures and a few others, and since you can't make your own mod plugins like the older mod managers, it's impossible to use with those as well.
  24. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I think the issue resides in your graphics card, I have almost everything with HD textures like you and at 2560x1600 my VRAM monitoring tools tells me that I'm very close to the 2GB cap on my VGAs (1,9-2,0GB) so I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be hitting the 1GB wall.
    I'm just speculating though, I may be wrong
  25. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure my graphics card is being bottlenecked by my cpu. I'm not running an i7 980x like you but an old E8400! My pc's like a car with an old engine (cpu & 4GB ddr2 ram)... but hey I installed a ferrari gearbox :rolleyes: (gpu)! :laugh: lol
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011