1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I went from 30fps-ish to high 40fps-ish outside with Skyboost. Although I think my FPS lowered inside towns..

2. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Y u no like skse?

'__'

3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Some experiments with ishadowmap

Outdoors 4096, 8192, and 16384 all use 1650 mbs and give me 36 fps.

Indoors 4096 gives me 1500mbs, 31 fps. 8192 gives me 2500 mbs 23 fps, and 16384 gives me 2600 mbs 23 fps.

This confirms what I always suspected, that outdoors it does absolutely nothing. Indoors the only place it creates a visible benefit is on those jaggy shadow lines that show up on people under certain lighting. I see no difference between 8k and 16k and the memory usage difference is very small. This makes me think 16k isn't even a valid option and that it's really only running something odd like 9k or 10k when placed that high.

Since it only creates one small visible difference for a 8 fps dip and epic vram usage increase I recommend sticking to 4096.

4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Finally started adding mods.

The grand total of two.
    -No blocky faces

-Better females by Bella (used the version which is just texture improvement over vanilla).
    Still obvious change in some faces, some for the better some for worse.

Have no interest in the nude stuff yet even though my argonian was getting grief for running around in his loin cloth last time I played.
    Might do so when I redo the Mara quest.
    And those Dibella priestesses should be running around in more skimpy robes IMO.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just put the two folders from the bin into the skyrim directory (where you have skyrim .exe NOT the data file )

Strange. Indoors I'm always at 60 fps, dungeons, homes, inns... whatever. I've been in Esbern's room. Flat out 60 fps ... My fps drops are in Whiterun and Markarth in the open cities where I drop to the high 30's low 40's. I can't figure out why some people get crappy performance indoors (I read at bethesda's forums about people getting low fps indoors where there are candles for example.) :ohwell:

6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I have v-sync off my FPS inside is crazy high so it confuses me as well.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i only get FPS dips in whiterun and other areas with lots of NPC's outdoors.

i'm guessing the indors lag people are GPU limited, while we're CPU limited?

8. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    indoors yields good framerate for me, outdoors is fine as well, towns/cities have the largest imapct in performance.

9. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:

I sit staring at my CPU/GPU use constantly when playing this game and I can tell you that outdoors in the big open spaces, my GPU hits around 95% which is still enough to keep me at a solid 60FPS but sometimes 99% which can take me down to 50 FPS. This is with everything maxed, a few ini tweaks, and AF*16 and 4*MSAA forced by drivers. When indoors, the GPU is never more than 50%.

In towns, my GPU sits at around 70% and a couple of my cores at around 50-60%. Before I applied the 4GB address patch, I lost frames in the towns, afterwards, I also get a solid 60FPS in all towns at all times (or 99.5% of the time). Towns like Memory most of all it seems.

Point is lag indoors is nothing to do with 'GPU limitations' and everything to do with the engine that the game runs on and/or bad graphics drivers. Although my whole system is under the least amount of strain when indoors, I do get lag. Not in the form of frame drops but in the form of microstutter. Outside, smooth as butter.

10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Every setting that can be maxed in the inis and nvidia inspector has been maxed. Plus enb and fxaa. Most people don't take it that far.

11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe.

It still makes me upset that I'm CPU limited with this cpu though, damn skyrim and it's crappy multi-threading.

12. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Maybe when Ivy Bridge is out insane overclocks due to the 22nm lithography will let us to run the game at higher FPS :D
    Still, I agree with you, they could have done a better job on the engine.

13. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i can live with above 30FPS tho hehe, just dont go dippin way below 20fps

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    all those code optimisations modders are finding is proof enough that the engine is fine, it just needed tweaking for PC.

15. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not fine man, the game could be so much better with multithreading support, like I said earlier in the thread, imagine the amount of cheese you could roll down hills if it could multi-thread properly!

Imagine the epic battles that could go on.

At one point there's a fight at a castle as part of the storm cloak/imperial quest line, there's about about 30 guys there because of engine limitations, imagine how much more epic that battle would of felt with 200 people on each side if not more

Or hell imagine your fighting in a hall way with loads of enemies rushing at you ( say you went into a spider nest and it was actually filled to the brim with them) normally this would mean death, but your the damn dragon born so you fus ro da a path through them without the fps ever effecting playability you run through to higher ground and start pushing rocks down on to them
    This is all stuff they could of implement just by having the game multithreaded.

Or hell how about citys that have more than 50 people in them? That would be pretty damn cool in it's self, rather than the nigh on ghost towns that skyrim has at the moment

I mean the game is good but it could of been even better if Bethesda would update their damn engine.

Sorry for lil rant there, but there's so many things I find frustrating in this game and it's because of the engine they are using.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  16. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Not sure about him, but I'm still running the 0-day patch, so SKSE won't work for me :)

5 Million points folded for TPU
  17. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Whats your definition of "fine"? Would it be "I have one prosthetic leg, I can get around fine", or would it be, "I gain 5 - 10 fps, and the game is still far to CPU based"?

18. Pariah36022 New Member

Thanks Received:
    In your save folder there should be backups.Just rename them by dropping the .bak off the end of them

19. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Unrelenting force got nothin with this:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  20. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Pictures of my Skyrim.

Mods

Vurts Flora Overhaul
    Realistic Water Textures
    Lush Trees
    Enhanced Shaders

Then i have things changed in the ini files as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if anyone knows......does Skyrim get too easy as you level up?
    This game has the best GFX I've ever seen btw, and yes, Crysis has higher detail in it's textures, but Crysis is flat, 2D and dull compared to this masterpiece{from a technical pov}

22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just loaded up Crysis, Crysis definitely looks better man :laugh:

Crysis had parallax occlusion mapping, true real time dynamic lighting(and shadows), SSAO ( first game to have it in fact) higher polygon amount than skyrim.

Basically it's technically better and had better execution :p Crysis 1 + mods looks better than a lot of modern games ( even crysis 2 lol)

23. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I played Crysis 2 weeks ago on my 6850 at 1920x1200 4xaa 16xaf enthusiast/VH, and there's no question that it's has higher res textures, but the environment seems dead in comparison to Skyrim.
    Taking everything into consideration, Skyrim looks better to me, Skyrim has massive waterfalls that have a degree of realism that 2 dimensional Crysis never did.

Crysis environments are also quite basic now, in fact, take away the high res glory, and they're very unimaginative.

24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crysis 2 I'll give you that.

But Crysis 1?

You sure you and I are thinking of the same thing? :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter how much much I tweaked Skyrim it would never look as good as that.

Sorry for thread hijacking guys.

But Crysis is still easily one of the best looking games out there.

Every time I get a new GPU I boot up Crysis just to see how far I can push the engine : ] if it had multi-core support Cryengine 2 would easily be my favourite XD

I mean skyrim is detailed dont' get me wrong, there is a lot to it.

But it doesn't look as good as Crysis ( or a lot of other games) by a long shot.

Infact when I first loaded up Skyrim I was disappointed at the graphics, it's taken a lot of tweaking and mod downloading to even get it close to looking graphically impressive.

25. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received: