1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Be that as it may, in addition to Iceni's points, some of the most worthwhile ones (imo anyway) aren't realistic nor practical on a console anyway, especially XBox. Meaning, of course, the texture packs and graphical upgrades (looking forward towards DX10+ hopefully; you already see mention of "when" not "if" in some mod Read Me's). The hardware is already at it's limit. Frankly, it's incredible what Bethesda has been able to do with this game on that platform as it is.

2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes that's it. A little hint to save you time is to look here. There are hundreds of people experimenting with the settings and ini files, and occasionally some get something right :)

I read your previous post about using Skyrim as a benchmark. Personally I don't think the game is sufficiently optimised for benchmarking. It needs more patches to complete the transition from console to pc :rolleyes: In the forums I linked you to, you'd find gamers having high-end rigs with i7's and GTX580 3GB complaining of getting 10 and 20 fps, and others with a dual core and previous-generation cards (2xx and 4xx Nvidia and 4xxx ATI) boasting of running their game at a smooth 60 fps (though one has to take everything with a pinch of salt due to lack of 'evidence' ;))

More importantly, I recently read that Skyrim's shadows are generated by the cpu and not the gpu. I heard more than one person saying that with everything on ultra the GPU load would be 40% and the CPU nearly 100%, and putting shadows on low and leaving everything the same reduces the load on CPU and increased that on the GPU. I can't vouch for it since I haven't tested myself.

Now, as promised, my pretty purple trees. Thankfully never appeared again after I reloaded the game :laugh:
    [​IMG]

mlee49 says thanks.
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    true point is tho

any extra armors weapons spells interface tweaks, are all viable,

howard ment mostly in extra content created by users

so all the above even companions companion limit removals, extra dialog user created quests and dungeons, theres more to mods then ooop boobs better textures and well thats it lol. theres alot more content out there.

and thats the main point look at morrowind for example people created questlines that were 5-15 hours long as extra content, all that is still easily doable just most modders dont take the time usually modding ends up being who can show tits first and how makes the best tits and ass lol then it just devolves into mods for those particular bodies point is tho, those graphics extentions might make the game right like crap on 360 but theyll still WORK and thats the thing to keep in mind here, the fact it WILL work, ;) it goes to show just how much the consoles really are like PCs its just microsoft and sony cock blocking end users from customizing there own content, and using peripherals they wish, :roll:

the main point is tho that the 360 and PC versions are so damn similar it just works even the ORIGINAL XBOX is so similar morrowind pc mods work, keep that in mind it means were only limited by a software layer, if someone ever broke that layer. consoles could in fact enjoy free content which is something almost no games allow right now. if Bethesda can get mods on consoles it breaks one of the last walls between console and pc, and in theory could allow a breath of fresh air to console titles aka free user content, something most console gamers have never experienced except in small time indie titles and even then its minor.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah but sony and microsoft especially are sticklers for network content quality. they will NEVER allow user generated content like that to be download, for free, from their respective stores. it will not happen.
    beth may be able to work an in game system out, but microsoft will not budge on this.

the only viable solution via xbl or psn that i see, would be to have bethesda pick user mods and give a seal of approval, and then make them available.
    between the concerns of user experience and opening the system to non licensed third party software, i don't see mods ever being available like they are for pcs, and that includes all the types you list.

5. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Just finished Thieves Guild main side quests.. (well not really finished since I kept the skeleton key all for myself! lol). Man that was epic.. bad ass looking armor set that comes with it too on later part

6. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    true point is its possible thats what matters

7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    oh for sure, it's not a technical limitation but a bs policy one, as you said.

8. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone else noticed that songs from Morrowind are littered all over the score for Skyrim?

Also, smithing and enchanting for the win (see attached)

Attached Files:

9. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The 2 things which confuse me in this game are textures and shadows.

I've sufficiently tweaked my .ini to remove the 'block-like' shadows which flickered every 20 seconds or so as if someone was turning venetian blinds...

But I can't figure out the textures.

Take this screenshot for example:

[​IMG]

It's a 'room' with no doors. The interior textures would be ok by my standards, but the exterior ones which show the outer part of the room's walls are hideous.

My settings are set for 'high textures'. So why do I get a mix of high and low textures?

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  10. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you cheating? LOL!!! how do you have so much dwarven and elven armor thats absolutly rediculous the amount of ignots you would need to make that stuff would be absurb

11. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It isn't very well optimised so far so need to wait for patches and updates from Bethesda. I did find a few mods on SkyrimNexus I'm using. So far so good.
    This game is begging for mods from Tolkiens Arda. Damn it'd be nice. Wonder if anyone is going to make a mounted combat mod? Just choosing random directions and exploring anywhere I go.

12. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Change your sound setting to 24-bit,44100hz in sound properties.
    Worked for me and one other person I know of so far :toast:

catnipkiller says thanks.
  13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    long time no see sage :)

3dsage says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    Will try this when i get home.

15. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Well BP generally speaking the game itself seems to be that way in places but then I looked at your pic--something is wrong for sure. It should not look like that (even if the nothing was seemingly missing). Not sure what's up offhand; guyess you need to keep trial-and-error troubleshooting. :(

16. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Had to come back home , im getting the upgrage itch and need to see what the word is on the latest gear.

BTW im taking the day off work, didnt sleep til 5am playing Skyrim as a Dunmer and work started at 6..I think I wouldve been at work sneaking around trying to loot everything and pickpocket my co-workers :laugh:

Good to know your still around :toast:

17. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    Quick Guide

HOW TO ALT TAB WITHOUT BREAKING THE GAME !!!!!

first you alt tab out,

do whatever you need to do,

alt tab back it gives a black screen with the regular blue border with minimize fullscreen and close

from here alt tab through all your open apps again untill you get to Skyrim

just let skyrim load up

apparently using alt tab 2 times to load the window will let you do what you need to and still play the game without issue.

this is mostly for those whom alt tabbing dosent work right.

18. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    one left click on desktop, one left click on the open black skyrim window does it for me.

19. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    yea the clicking dosent work for me just sits there lol if i just rapid alt tab through no problems at all its weird really games great but it does have some weird issues lol

20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    lol i click on the skyrim app in the taskbar, it does what it does for crazy's first alt tab, and then i alt-tab again and it pops up.

21. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    yay that FXAA post process enhancement mod broke my game.... have to redownload it. ill steer clear of that for now and stick to INI tweaking for the time being, gotta say tho, im loving the dragon fights on hard difficulty takes awhile to beat the dragon back and as a two handed sword user im at a disadvantage when it comes to defence,

22. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im kind of sad that I ended up skipping Ebony armor set, even though it looks amazing. I just cant seem to find good places to get ebony ore or ingots besides from vendors RARELY. So far im a Heavy Battle Conjurer with 3 masks and 7 shouts. How about you guys? Btw if your skilling up smithing (its very easy btw) make sure to save all those dragon bones and claws.
    [​IMG]

23. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    FFS Spoiler! I knew I likely should save them for something and armor forging isn't that hard to guess I suppose but damn man way to kill the surprise.

Just put spoiler and /spoiler in brackets around the spoiledy part. It ain't hard!!

24. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who me? It isnt a spoiler. Under the skill smithing at the very top you see "Can make Dragon armor at the forge". What do you think its made out of?

Im speaking of only skilling up as all ive really done is skill up and dungeon crawl. I havent barely done any of the main quest and only completed the companion chain, nothing else.

25. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    All right cool my bad I have not looked at that part of the interface.

Are there any potential dangers to leaving stuff in particular places that anyone knows of? Like If I have a key to a dead guys house can I dump my stuff there safely?

I feel bad making Lydia lug around all those heavy dragon bones :p