1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    making the consoles lead platform was a good business decision. 3.4 million copies in 2 days is really good for an RPG.

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    No clue; at this point only aware of it's existence. My hunch is no, but can't hurt that's for sure. Note it's "instructions" as opposed to something you install but can't get to them right now.

Yeah...but when is it not a good one, unfortunately for most of us here. We still have plenty of great games that run on PC but I miss true PC games.

Erocker's post about the size of the XBox line compared to both others said it all.

digibucc says thanks.
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I hope Fallout 4 is next.

4. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    Holy crap. 14% on PC. Ouch.

5. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Am I the only one who doesn't see much of a diff before and after with that "No More Blocky Faces" mod that's like on the top of every present list?

6. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Careful with those mod "patches". If it's anything like Oblivion, they are just as likely to destroy your game as they are to make it run/look better.
    Wait for official patches imo.

7. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    This doesn't seem to be a patch rather a tweak but yeah...

8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    The game looks great, standing on a mountain top and looking clear across the map (and I'm not talking, oh I see a long ways then I see fog, I'm talking I'm on one side of the map on a mountain, I look to my north and see a massive Y shaped river going out the the ocean and a town, open my map and can see exactly where that is) is amazing. And as the community has more time with it, it will only get better, not to mention that, but the game is a ton of fun.

I don't think it would have mattered what platform was lead. As long as they released it to console and didn't put a ton of constraints on it, it would have sold just as well. Either way, Skyrim will flourish on the PC, Steam sales will up those PC numbers with time, console prices even used will remain far too high for far too long.

digibucc says thanks.
  9. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    My horse kills mad bandits, also helped my fight a dragon and giant. I feel bad for you bro.

10. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Steam reported 280K users online on the day of launch.... Going by that as a standard for the first days activity it means 1.2 million Xbox users were doing the same, and 0.5 million on PS3...

Grated it's not accurate but as an estimation it means of the 2 million units shipped almost all 2 million were playing!

1.2 + 0.5 + 0.28 = 1.98 million... so less than 1% would not be playing on the first day of release!!! that's pretty impressive for an RPG. Far far better than i would have imagined!!!

Sorry bad math above!!!

2mill/59 = 34000

34000 X 14 = 475K means around 60% of the shipped units on pc were been played. (280k)
    You'd have to assumes the same percentage on Xbox and Ps3 so if you add a 40% non played percentage.

of the 2 mill xbox units - 1.2 million were playing
    Of the 0.918 million ps3 units - 0.55 million were playing
    And we know 0.28 million pc users were playing.

Totaling 2.03 million people playing in the first day and 3.38 total units shipped!!!! there pretty staggering figures.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    sorry if this already posted but oblivion is $5 on steam today for goty edition. $6.25 for deluxe edition.

12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you can get Skyrim (X360) for $39.99 + $10 gift card on Black Friday at Target. I think Amazon is doing a B1G1 50% off (X360/PS3/PC).

13. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:
    I only have one skill point put into light armor and none in heavy armor(I haven't found a need to put more than one point in yet) and both my light armor and heavy armor skills, are about the same skill level, so I wear what gives me the most armor rating + enchantments (I did at one point have light armor gloves that had an archery damage bonus, but the ebony ones are better). When dragonscale (the light armor dragon armor) and glass armor are both upgraded to legendary, dragonscale only gives me +4 more per piece of armor and doesn't look as nice visually.

14. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Lol that's impressive why?
    Because people usually buy their game to "not" play them?
    Of course most of them were playing it.. :laugh:

15. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    look at the characters noses dude thats the biggest problem with the normal map fix from no blocky faces dosent fully fix it it adds some details but dosent fix the noses

you have to get the other normal map fix to fully get rid of the blocky noses, its a normal map artifact

and @ D007 its not gonna break the game, mods seldom break bethesdas games, biggest issue is mod loading order other then that with some 100+ mods running in ever bethesda game ive never had mods completely break my game, its always been extremely easy to just uncheck the mods rerun the game, and bam works fine, :toast:

see here its 2 seperate mods

Detailed faces and no more blocky faces. also this is a great start for improving visuals further among other things

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/14/the-10-best-skyrim-mods-so-far/

specific fix for female noses
    http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=136

typical no blocky face mod
    [​IMG]
    after normal map fix
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  16. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    sorry it was bad math on my part... it should be fixed now it works out about 60% were playing on pc, going on total sales on xbox.

17. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    Got some texture problems

Attached Files:

18. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Hmm here's a quote from the comments on that large address aware deal. I'm taking this with a grain of salt but still sounds promising nonetheless.

19. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    any mod for 'hardcore' mode yet? Where you need to eat and sleep, Arrows that have weight etc. ala FoV? They shouldve kept that feature imo. Food in game kinda feels like for novelty purposes only since potions are more efficient..

Imagine needing to eat and just hunting the woods for some rabbit or goat.. pretty neat imo.. Herbs, stewed Rabbit and taters

20. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i noticed trees looked like absolute garbage and cover most of skyrim and your pointing out the squares on the tip of their nose id be careful or they'll string you up.

21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I that that mod only affected people running on 32 bit OS's?

22. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was really hoping for that when I started getting into the hype for Skyrim. Real pity it isn't in, would've added an absolute heap to immersion.

With werewolf's, the wikia says that you can become one from being attacked by a [feral] werewolf but I tested this out just before and after being mauled almost to death half a dozen times by one, no indication that I was infected. I know the
    companion's
    quest's don't take long or are hard, but still :(

23. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i disagree - potions cost money, and there are more recipes i'm sure that are better, but they don't require a skill to use them. i think that's the main point - if you are hesitant to allocate time and points to make good potions or money to buy them, you can use food instead.

still, hardcore sounds cool :)

others have had it happen already, so i'm sure it does. maybe signs aren't immediate?

Crusader says thanks.
  24. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    My fiancee got bit by a wolf right away and got infected. Everyone kept telling her she looked sick, so she drank a potion to fix it. Pretty sure you can't be wearing metal armor (wolves can't bite through metal).

Crusader says thanks.
  25. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ok I have yet to figure out how to make potions or poisons?

Also there is no texture folder in Data? So when some mods say to replace there is nothing to replace yet my game runs fine? I wonder if creating it will work.