1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    uh my frame rate it that tho when just walking around or standing still Hialgoboost tends to provide the largest impact during combat,

I have a much easier method for fixing this

texture compression

simply put Optimizer Texturer lets me customize the downsizing of textures so say i set 4096 as the largest any texture over that size which i have quite a few will be auto downsampled to 4096 then compressed on top of that

example UNP or CBBE skin file average size 64mb my size 120mb+ texture optimizer 33mb ;) i just have to tweak the various folders so certain textures can be tweaked while others can be left alone.

but in my brief testing my texture folder went from nearl 8gb down 5gb thats a huge drop in size. And due to starting with a higher resolution texture and scaling down it didnt look as bad as using a texture made at that size as some extra details due in fact remain.

managed to cut overall texture sizes down by 780mb cut Vram usage by 230mb in game still some hitching but thats from Ugrid settings and I am okay with that. Average FPS with all mods custom ENB files and SSAO via NV control panel is 33-36 fps solid out doors that said AA is off as ENB 0.149 doesnt alow MSAA when it is enabled still i cant complain but i really do miss MSAA

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Oh neat, hadn't heard of that. And dam 8GB?? I barely scratch 2GB. I jut can't find other textures mods worth adding myself. I thought Skyrim 2K HD would handle most textures, perhaps I should search for LOD improvements.

Still looking good even with compression.

3. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    Skyrim 2k lite no point in the ultra high end version overall details are not noticeable however compressing the higher res textures works as well

Static Mesh Improvement Mod works great as well

but yea most of the mesh size for me is just the insane sizes i was using on key aspects

namely character faces bodies with high res normal maps aka 8192 sizes for those where i up sampled then added a few details (man i love mudbox can paint directly onto the mesh which means perfect UVs and 0 seams :D made for some better skin textures.

4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Crazy, I assume you recommend ENB?

I have't looked at lighting mods in a long time. There's always been a ton of ENB's, I don't really care for Bokeh either, so if a good one is lacking that all the better. I'm just wondering the performance loss, I see you mention 33-36 fps, which I assume is the average, which is good, but with that average being so close to 30, I would be too worried about dipping under 30 and noticing. Wondering if I got extremely heavy on textures, is ENB really going to be worth it over something like RLO or Climates of Tamriel (this is the one I'm leaning towards simply for the weather), or a mixture of some sort?

Just trying to figure what hits what as far as FPS goes, like what is the huge fps killer for ENB?

5. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    hit me up on Steam at somepoint kurgan and ill make an ENB setup you can tweak,

its easy on the performance looks better and you can further tweak lighting in game by just changing two simple values.

And i dont really recommend ENB its just the easiest way to get Skyrim to look less like 12 noon is 5pm and midnight is 6pm if you get what I am saying.

Also the better shadows with option for SSAO for Ati users is a plus.. I didnt like ENB ssao since it has a few issues but still some better than none.

I use Climates with ENB and for me frame rate is 100% vram dependent with my setup. Skyrim as i have it configured right now as long as the framerate stays above 25 you wont notice it. due to it not being a twitch game like a shooter Skyrim still feels fairly smooth at 24 FPS or higher. Dipping below that of course causes problems.

regardless hit me up on steam at somepoint youll know if im around cause ill actually respond.

You will be better off in terms of Frame rates then me.

When you start pushing as many files as I am a few bottlenecks seem to occur

1) GPU memory bandwidth
    2) Vram amount
    3) CPU clockspeed
    4) CPU stability

Im running 4.6 GHz to maintain the 33-36 avg drop CPU clock speed performance drops. however gpu is always taxed 99%

your 2600k at 5ghz should perform slightly better than my 3770k at 4.6 like Shogun 2 where Ivy can show a 20% improvement over Sandy Skyrim also seems to encounter that situation when modded to the hilt.

Anyway we can chat about it on steam some other time or on Skype. right now im fucking tired. spent 4 days tweaking mods, cleaning esp files tweaking ini settings. Manually resolving mod load order etc. i need sleep review work tomorrow then finally i can play this damn game.

6. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Hey guy's I have over 160+ hours haven't played for a whole year and just did a fresh install and this is happening when I pause the game... anyone know how to fix this?

My current mods though it was doing this before.
    [​IMG]

????
    [​IMG]

7. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    That would happen to me sometimes but it wouldn't engulf the screen. And I think maybe one time it did but exiting the pause menu fixed it.

I can only assume its an ENB issue but not sure. Is it a game breaker for you?

8. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I would say game breaker, but that yellow is blinking very fast may cause a seizure !! I just don't see how this can happen to a fresh install. I will try with no crossfire...

EDIT: and of course with no cfx it fixed the problem... This probably happened sense I'm on W8 and AMD dropped support on the HD 4*** so somethings aren't working great anymore. at least im still getting 40+fps with high settings low AA and Med shadows

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  9. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    redownload SKSE and install it over the old one, looks like an SKSE issue since SKY UI needs it to function and any screwups with SKSE = sky UI goes haywire. Seen this on a buddies 7870 rig redownloading SKSE fixed it.

10. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps you guys can assist me. Getting epic texture glitches, mostly around water, and mainly the water being the bit that flashes and flickers, and the sound stops at the same time as the texture flicker. Removed most of my texture mods including water etc and still it happens, but not that often. Also this frame latency is irritating the hell out of me.

11. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I had that happen with 1) crossfire, 2) graphics driver issues and 3) ENB screwups on seperate occasions. But do what crazy said and update your SKSE, that could be causing it too

12. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Boo still haven't had a chance to play this yet. Last weekend I started it up and tried to start the dang quest for like 20 minutes but couldn't find it and gave up (stupid dragons kept showing up and no one wanted to chat ha). Will have to give it another go this weekend.

13. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I re did SKSE, that didn't fix it, but I just made a Profile and switched CFX to 1:1 optimize that fixed the problem.

Has anyone used the USP/Unofficial Skyrim Patch? I have it downloaded, but not installed.

14. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I didn't see you had crossfire or I would've said to try what you just did. That fixed it for me when I had crossfire and that exact same problem. It flashed really bad for me, the green overlay thing. And some textures would be purple. I had some other interesting problems like bushes and trees missing or turning black, and sometimes being replaced by giant triangles with exclamation marks. Really wierd problems, all ended up being CFX issues and bad drivers

@brooks, You're trying to start the main quest? I think you go talk to the jarl in whiterun and he'll send you to his court wizard. Or maybe you get a quest telling you to go to him as soon as you talk to gurdur in riverwood after you get out of the cave at the beginning.

I should probly know this by now, I've done the main quest 4 times:eek:

15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I run Project ENB and Project Reality --- Climates of Tamriel w/ Realistic Lighting Overhaul for interiors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Using uGrids 9, some .ini tweaks, some texture mods and 8XAA, hitting 3gb vram usage @ 1080p!
    And this is without any ENB or other shader tweaks.
    Maybe I will back the AA down a notch or two and look into the ENB stuff. Game still looks good vanilla, but the screenshots I'm seeing makes me want to try out ENB.

17. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    if I have town mods will dragonborn start, I am using sexy villages and towns and the two guys will not show up.

18. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mussels says thanks.
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    that looks quite nice

20. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    sadly the summer version of Skyrim Flora overhaul has some really shitty trees the leaves are ultra low res etc you can see it in Shot 1 on the left and shot 3 center the LODs arent working right ive been unable to correct so reverted back to regular SFO

21. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
  22. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was checking if there were any beta updates for Skyrim and found this called "qloc".

However it needs a password because it's a private beta :confused:

Anyone's got a clue what's going on? I've never encountered a private beta before.

[​IMG]

23. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    It's probably for a mod made by the steam community. Search the workshop for qloc and see if it turns anything up. I would check for you, but I'm at work.

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received: