1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I listened to 2 podcast this week that recommended plugging one in.
  2. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    did you encounter the bug in revealing the unseen where you could not interact with the crystal to dial it in?
  3. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    People play in 3rd person mode? I dont use a 360 controller and i dont see how it can make movement smoother, where is the proof in that! how do you know its not a placebo effect?

Also lock picking is piss easy, its more like Fallout 3 rather than Oblivion.

My system runs smooth with this game. I have seen only one single bug and it was stupid rather than a gamebreaker, 2 guys at the companions guild sat down with a bucket trapped on their feet. Disappearing textures and transparent textures are a problem but not gamebreaking just a nuisance i dont know if im the only one who gets that.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Hell yeah and it's great. The reason I couldn't play Oblivion is because the animations were horrible and some of them were just flat out missing. I like to hack things for the 3rd person perspective, and now it's great, this is the game I been waiting for for years.
  5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I cant stomach 3rd person mode that's why i asked, just cant personally see why people prefer it, to me it is clunky. Its like that in all of Bethesda's games.

EDIT: If your enjoying it cool but i personally prefer 1st person mode, cant see why that would put someone off Oblivion? I loved that game!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    hellrazor says thanks.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So I started over and came into something early in the game that I missed the first time...

When you are running from the dragon with the guard in Helgen you get to a point where you need to enter a building with him. What I missed was that you could split off from him and join up with Ralof, the chatty guy from the cart you came in on. Naturally I went with Ralof and am now a Stormcloak busting the heads of Imperial scum. Already took Whiterun and a couple forts.

I'm a mage, I wear a robe, weild an axe in one hand and thow out spells with the other.
    Mussels says thanks.
  7. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i say movement is smoother in a sense that its in analog. Not really useful in some/most gameplay aspects but adds to the realism in movement (only applicable in 3rd person mode tho since you cant see your movement animation in first person mode). Digital movement is just dash, run and slow walk, in analog movement you can slow walk and slowly gain acceleration and then run and the transition is smooth. The NPC's walk animation is slightly faster and the default walk animation you will get left behind and when you run you end overtaking em XD

Its also helpful in times of sneaking.
    The slow sneak is too painfully slow for my taste, for analog i can sneak at my own pace. Aside from these, i still find myself using the keyboard and mouse since i like to aim more accurately with a mouse (archery).
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Ralof? I thought that was what was supposed to happen?
    You run through the keep with him and take him to see his sister or something after you escape?
    So there is another path?

EDIT: I wouldn't say analogue movement was "smoother" but like you said Viper, you can judge your speed. I tanked up in heavy armour so im biased. When you said smoother i was thinking of things like input lag or animations but cant see why those would be different. If anything in 1st person your better with a mouse again im biased because i never play an elder scrolls in 3rd person (lol discounting the 3rd person Redgaurd game).
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I know I did something differently the first time.
  10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Kieran, might want to spoiler your response above.

The movement isn't bad in 3rd now, and it's awesome watching my character go everywhere. I feel just as immersed in 3rd person, some people don't feel that unless they feel like they are seeing it through the eyes. But not me, so I get to keep the immersion and watch how BA I look, it's great.

It wasn't just 3rd person that put me off from Oblivion, but I didn't like the combat as well, was too easy to attack and block. Then add in missing animations and horrible animations and I couldn't play it. Loved Fallout, but that was a shooter, I didn't mind playing 1st person.
  11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    OH another person who hated Oblivion and liked Fallout 3 lol.
    BTW I fixed that with spoiler tags, Erocker must've posted just before i finished editing (might want to edit his post).

EDIT: Speaking of combat should a giant be able to maul me in 2 hits?
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yes
  13. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    3rd person in great for seeing all your cool armor as you run around, gotta switch to 1st for dungeons tho.
  14. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Ah no, not input lag or animations rather, transition of animations like i mentioned from walking to running. Panning the camera for some "cinematic" efffect is also easily in analog stick imo, tho its not really needed hehe, just personal preference since viewing the wonderful vista looks nice with slow cinematic panning, specially in 3rd person mode . I find myself playing in 3rd person mode here as well and only switch to first person when sniping someone or in cramped palces like dungeons.

Indeed yes, i think i got mauled in one powerstrike if i remember correctly in my earlier levels so i tend to put some distance from em hehe
  15. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    On the above spoiler posts:

I ran off with Ralof first, since his was the only marker I noticed. It was with my second character I noticed that I could go with the other guy. It's a good thing IMO, since it means the game could be radically different right from the outset which means I'll probably play through it twice to get the entire story.

I was a little taken aback when I got to Dragonreach or whatever that capitol city is when you're sent from Riverrun and a dude asked which faction I belonged to. I had no idea I could side with the Empire until I restarted the game.

I'm really enjoying the game thus far. I've had a few performance issues with frame rate drops and one random freeze. I think it's just a driver issue and I can't wait for Nvidia to put out new drivers.

I also play with an Xbox 360 controller. TES isn't a competetive FPS, so there's no need to use KB/M to play.

Also, dual wielding the starting fire spell as a Dark Elf is pretty stellar. I also switched out to Sparks so I could run around and pretend that I am Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars saying "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side"
  16. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    ~16hrs in the game so far, have yet to experience a crash, using nVidia's latest beta. I even alt-tab often in the game no problem :D Tho i experience some graphical glitches sometimes, like water sounds and splashes suddenly poppin out in the screen when near water environments.
  17. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Why would that have a bearing on whether someone uses a keyboard/mouse or not?
  18. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I've been playing on an Asus G74SX, with a GTX560M. I don't know if they regularly put out beta drivers for mobile cards. I know they did for BF3. I tend to stick with WHQL drivers anyways, unless there's a massive issue.

It doesn't.
  19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    New AMD drivers didnt improve anything for Skyrim.
    Ahhzz says thanks.
  20. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It wasn't that I liked FO3 because it was a better game. It's that I hated 3rd person ,they did a bad job with it, and I wanted to play Oblivion in 3rd. Fallout though I was shooting and I like my FPS in 1st person. So I didn't mind horrible animations.
  21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    whats wrong with slashing bandits in 1st person :(
  22. random

random

Thanks Received:
    ffuuuuuu so frustrating trying to capture moths on a gamepad, anyway to contribute to this awesome thread here are a few awesome images I took of my characters :).

No mods here, all natural at the moment.

Nord - Two Handed, Destruction, Smithing, Heavy Armor

[​IMG]

This was an accident..
    [​IMG]

Imperial - Conjurer, Two-handed, Enchanter, Restoration

[​IMG]

Here's a nice picture of a dragon next to the moon :)

[​IMG]
    Horrux and Black Panther say thanks.
  23. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So true :(

Great pics, thanks! PS if you press the tilde key and type tm you'd get the picture without the UI in the way ;)

Does anyone crash to desktop here?

For me it's very rare. Unless I fast travel. Then more than half the time I c2d. Fortunately it's during the loading screen so autosave always manages to kick in. And luckily I have the game on SSD so loading times are fast... But it's still game-breaking.. :ohwell:

Does anyone know of a cheat or console command to allow me to change the face of my character without having to start a new game?

(I made my character in a bit of a hurry and she's... a bit ugly... :))
    random says thanks.
  24. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it's the part I think it is, it's not a bug;
    You don't physically touch the crystal even though it says you can. If you talk to the mage in the room with you, he tells you what you need to do to focus the crystal.

To clarify what the dude said, iirc(you don't need this one, only if you're stuck);
    You use fire and ice spells(the novice ones, flames and frostbite) to heat up/cool down the crystals, which changes how they reflect the light. Then you use the three switches on top of the large staircase to move around the crystal's on the ceiling so they reflect the light coming from the crystals in the middle. Then everything should happen on it's own.
  25. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I don't get to watch me do a massive stumble off weight swing and bash their face in, just get to see my camera move up, then down (boring and shaking cameras get me sick).
    random says thanks.