1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Didn't know that, woot! thanks.

I had a CTD when I tried to take a screenshot with steam by pressing f12, it closed my game and lost a cool screenie in the process :cry:

I heard you can do a sex change through the console although I'd be a little careful since console commands can turn off your achievements.

Agreed, I also like being able to see my character's armour, buffs, spells and such. Also the field of view during third person gives me an advantage on seeing my surroundings so I play third person more than half the time but with charging and power attacks or anything ranged first person is definitely the way to go for me.

2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Been toying around with unlocked camera and hiding the UI, just snapped a few of my character, might use it as a desktop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i cant beleive i didnt notice that thing erocker was talking about a few pages back with the alternative starting quest right at the beginning of the game o_O

i had no idea you could branch out THAT early with quests.

4. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    If anyone wants to die
    Head to the small mountain range to the East of Whiterun, there is a Dragon Altar, as you approach it a guy named Krosis spawns. With my Orc racial up (double damage dealt and half damage taken), he just ripped my life bar off. I managed to live my racials 1 min duration, but as soon as that ended I took full damage and he just dropped me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost everyone I know that plays didn't realize that the first time through.

5. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    on which file do i add these in?

edit: nvm, i think i found it hehe

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good news : Skyrim finally is completely installed and runs.
    Bad news : My GC is overheating and the screen starts flashing. Probably because I haven't cleaned the dust out of my computer since I built it. lol I was too lazy to do it last night.
    Seems to run fine on Ultra with my 4870x2 when it's not overheating.

Cold Storm, Ahhzz and tigger say thanks.
  7. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    injFX_Settings.h

You won't add them you will find those in there and just paste mine over those, or just look and transfer the values of mine to yours.

ViperXTR says thanks.
  8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    I find Oblivion to be finer tuned and better implemented. Please don't tell me this is a console port :mad:

9. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It is a console port, but it has mod support and plays better than Oblivion, FO3, or F:NV. Fine tuned and any of those games doesn't fit together, single core processor support, issues with performance with great videocards, and general buggyness. Yes they have had years for mods, but even then, those still don't feel fined tuned to me, piling on mods to fix them helps, but after a bit they get crash happy.

In the end it's a console port vs a decade old engine. And the console port is running on a more capable engine, Gamebryo is just too old.

10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think I'm the only one who had zero issues with NV. Seriously, I've played a tons and have not encountered a single error (apart from some random AI stuff).

BTW, how is the AI compared to Oblivion?

11. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
  12. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you know there's Life after Death in Skyrim?

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Is that noclip when you die or something?

14. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

are you referring to the point where you can decide to go with the military, or the thief?

15. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure he is.

When I tried the game on the PS3 in San Fran I didn't notice it either but when I got home and installed my copy for the PC, that's when I noticed you could choose.

Ahhzz says thanks.
  16. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

I've seen a few... hole in the floor in a dungeon, Killed myself walking into a kettle :confused: , the
    Spriggansdisappear except for the bees glowing around them sometimes
    , couple of mother minor things, otherwise pretty smooth. Only had one crash, but it was a full-blown blue screen heheh

17. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

I particularly loved the part where I first saw jumping in a pool of water caused little ripples in the pool :)

18. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stormcloaks VS Empire: The Real Story

Stormcloaks VS Empire: The Real Story

The book is called 'The Great War' and can be found in numerous places. I found the first in the war-room in Dragonsreach (the room with the map showing Imperial and Stormcloak flags), on one of the bookshelves; http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Great_War

TLDR;
    During the Oblivion crisis, an extremist High Elf faction called the Thalmor took control of Summerset Isle, the High Elf kingdom.

22 years after Oblivion the Thalmor had purged all opposition to their rule in Summerset Isle.

29 years after Oblivion the Thalmor organised a coup in Valenwood, the home of the Wood Elves, invaded it, defeated the surprised Empire and took control. They merged the two provinces into a new state called the Altermi Dominion.

98 years after Oblivion, the 2 moons of Tamriel suddenly vanished. The Kahjiit of Elsweyr were extremely concerned about this. The Thalmor predicted the return of the moon after 2 years, which they did. The Thalmor claimed to be responsible for restoring the moons.

115 years after Oblivion, the Kahjiit of Elsweyr renounced the Empire and joined the Altmeri Dominion.

171 years after Oblivion, the Altmeri Dominion sent a list of demands to the Emperor. After the Emperor refused, the Altmeri promptly invaded both Hammerfell and Cyrodiil.

172 years after Oblivion, the Imperial City itself was besieged by a huge army of elves.

174 years after Oblivion, the Imperial City was taken and sacked by the Altmeri Dominion. The Emperor refused to surrender and retreated into Cyrodiil.

175 years after Oblivion, the Emperor reorganised his army, including large numbers of Nords from Skyrim who had come to help. The Imperial city was recaptured after a decisive battle.

But with the imperial armies weak and decimated after the battle, the Emperor accepted the demands of the Altmeri Dominion. Worship of Talos was banned, the Blades organisation was disbanded, and large parts of southern Hammerfell were ceded to the Altmeri Dominion.

The rest of Hammerfell refused to accept the loss of their territory and secceeded from the Empire to continue the war on their own.

180 years after Oblivion, following 5 years of very costly fighting in Hammerfell that resulted in no additional gains for the Altmeri Dominion, the Dominion withdrew all their forces from Hammerfell.

201 years after Oblivion, the events of Skyrim take place.

TLDR; TLDR;

The Thalmor are a faction of high elves that took control of the High-elf kingdom, and then the Wood-elf kingdom, renamed them the Altmeri Dominion, and then took over the Khajiit lands. Then they declared war on the Emperor, sacked the Imperial City, the Empire managed to retake the Imperial City but accepted a costly peace-treaty which banned worship of Talos, disbanded The Blades organisation, and ceded parts of Hammerfell to the elves. The rest of Hammerfell did not accept this and secceeded from the Empire, after which they managed to force the elves to pull all their forces out of Hammerfell. The events of Skyrim take place about 25 years after the peace between the Empire and the Altmeri Dominion was signed.

You will notice that many npc's say "by the eight" instead of "by the nines". This is because the racist elves outlawed the worship of talos.

If you side with the empire in any way whatsoever your character is completely evil.

Easo and Ahhzz say thanks.
  19. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol no, occasionally the game graphics glitch and walls/floor vanish, making your character seem somewhere up in the clouds.

Here's another proof of life after death ;) this time not a graphics glitch though:

[​IMG]
    :laugh:

Mussels and theJesus say thanks.
  20. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I know. but your post really doesn't make it sound that way. it sounds like they were invaded and oppressed if you don't know what rule under the empire was like... ;)

21. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    any idea about those white dots? since last night i get them a lot :( .

mostly on reflections and water, any idea?

22. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have some strange white dots on the reflection and water any idea about what might cause them?

23. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Woulda been even nicer with the improved night sky mod ;)

Yeah as to what E said I noticed when I got into the building that it sais "Completed" and that I could've "entered with" either dude. Cool that it starts the story off diff but wonder if anything else noteworthy.
    I have Misc quests at this point to join both by now but havent decided.

24. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    You can take a look here

It may be in their I know you can some how. Found it hit" ~ " type in " showracemenu "

I didn't know you could do different quest line at the very beginning:banghead: I went with guard guy.

Black Panther says thanks.
  25. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am looking at it like this:
    If my country lost a war I would certainly hold the government responsible for it. It is their job not to let that shit happen. The infestation of racist elves is entirely the empire's fault. That war should have been won swift as hell. What kind of leader forsakes their race's one true god and swears fealty to a foreign lord in return for mercy? That's BS.

But that is roleplaying logic, I could maybe decide that my character thinks the empire is not responsible, and Ulfric is just a douche who is taking advantage of the situation to get control of Skyrim.

Or is he? If the empire is weak, Skyrim must leave the union in order to look after itself. Skyrim cannot be free until it has a new king with new ideology. I haven't started the main quest yet though, or done anything with the stormcloaks. So I don't know a lot about Ulfric other than that he re-took control of
    Markath. I like that quest. The guards were like "we gonna blame this whole thing one you bro." I resisted arrest, took out the whole town guard. Walked away with 19 sets of armor for the Markath guard. So sick. I did have to go back so I could get into the mines though. I ended up killing off the forsworn before we escaped. If you let them escape they slaughter the whole town, and I needed those npc's for more quests.

But he might be what skyrim needs to survive. As it stands, the northern half of hammerfell is the only free region in tamriel. If skyrim leaves the empire, they could give the elves a run for their money, and liberate the other countries. Unless ulfric just wants to rule the world. It depends.

But I have decided that the empire is at fault. If I was the empire I would not have lost that war. In morrowind and oblivion I got the idea that the empire was pretty invincible, how do you fuck that up lol