1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Shouting tip:

Unless this gets corrected by a patch, you will find yourself inside some small tent, with one small tiny exit, and with either a follower or quest companion standing like an idiot in front of the only exit, and there's no way to budge him/her.

I solved this by
    shouting FUS RO DAH and literally blowing the NPC out of the way and out of the tent

I really hope Bethesda would correct this in a patch, at least to enable NPC's to be 'pushed' when you walk against them. Since in my case it was a follower / quest companion he didn't attack me back. But probably any other NPC would have...
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah. The damn shouts. It is hard to remember about them at first. Good thing I've only fought one dragon since.

Hey Kurgan what mod manager app is that screenie from? And when they hell do you sleep? :p

Seriously. So in BF3 another soldier can nudge me from out of cover or hiding ffs but I can't move an NPC in Skyrim? Hah speaking of BF3, during my first dragon fight while having fire shot at me I found myself trying to go prone behind a rock. :D

Good thinking and good tip.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    To do a spoiler type in
    TEXT [/spoiler ] <--- I put that space there so it didn't make the spoiler.

I'm working on something really awesome I just made some crappy old leather, daggers, and jewelry. and I can enchant each to give me a 20%+ smiting so when i got to upgrade my real armor i will get like 100%+ bonus armor for each! if that makes sense.

i got full out Glass armor and weapons they are better than legendary upgrades with enchants! normal glass armor with legendary status gives you 288 armor rating with me I get 348.

Here are some sweet pic's of the night sky!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    theJesus says thanks.
  4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I'm not running any mods for the game yet but I do use the large address patch. I want to mod the game (visual mods mainly) but I'm waiting for the official patch to release first. Not that I need to but I just want to. The game runs like a dream on my pc with no problems at all and so fast. Never any lag. I'm just running the Ultra settings, 8x aa 16x af all things set to the max including view distances and all that jazz. Load times on my SSD are insane. I can't even read the info on the load screens because the load times are tooo fast. lol

I hit L20 last night. I've killed right around 16 dragons so far. I've only played the main story line up to getting the first shout. I've only done about a dozen side/misc quests. I spend my time in game running on foot exploring the world and dungeoning.

I also play a female character (this time around) and she is named Keira after my daughter. Keira the 2 year old BattleMage!

When i play she climbs up in my lap and points out the beasties for me. "Dad a monster over there!" but when I attack the monster she puts her face in my chest because she doesn't like to see them get hurt lol. Kids..

Anyway...I still absolutely love this game.
    Ev1LrYu says thanks.
  5. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Can you run away from the Mammoth?
    I guess it depends on how you developed your character.

Who's a Warrior Mage in this game? Just curious. I think it's the best of both worlds. Strength and Magic.
  6. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am, and whatever is needed else, too :D
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I always consider mages as pussies and such i never pick them. Heavy armor and brute force always works. I do like the enchanted items, especially those that steal HP, deflect damage etc. I remember carrying several damage deflect items in Oblivion so i was doing damage to opponents evenw hen being hit by them. The more damage they dealt, the more they got back. Paired with massive sword and armor and i was like a walking fortress :D Obtaining those items was a real pain though, but you can collect them if you are willing to walk around and explore a lot.
  8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I am. It has its advantages, but the balance of both worlds can in general leave you a little weak compared to pure sorcerers or pure fighter boss (for lack of a better term). You could quickly find yourself too weak to go toe to toe and not enough magicka to just burn them to death from afar.

Everything else I run across, it is nice to have options. Especially when I can spot a weakness to exploit. I am usually strong enough to overpower most regular sorcerers and use Runes/Summons/buff magic to cripple warriors before they get near me.

And when Mammoths attack me, I use the Dragon Shout Kyne's Peace to calm it down for like 5 minutes and just ignore it.
  9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    archery, sneak, destruction, one-handed, block, conjuration

i too am a little weak in head on fights, but i've got enough options to figure out a strategy that works for each fight. sneaking is soo much better in this one, it's actually viable and entertaining :)

I really like how easy lockpicking is. it almost feels like cheating :) all those levels from it and i will enver put a perk in it, no need :)
  10. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    You hit the nail on the head, it's all about strategy when you are a warrior mage. In Oblivion, I would summon beasts to do my bidding and built up my magic that way. But I find this new game quite different. Can't wait till I get more time to play it more.
  11. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I play a Battlemage and find it a great combo. (One handed, heavy armor, destruction with a side of restoration).

Though I dual wield one handed as well which is a killer combo when perked out. If I pull two one handed weapons out nearly anyone in my path drops fast with the dual power combo attacks. and when my sta gets low I flick a flame in my left hand to deal massive destruction...

It really is the best of both worlds.
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear and all but with your system (6970 2GB CF---damn) it had better be running that well. And if any install of Skyrim was super-heavy mod worthy it's yours so get at it! ;)

Really, there's no need to wait for a patch as you already said you know.

You should get a higher res monitor too. 27" is great but only 1080P with all that horsepower?
  13. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Leveled up to 7 last night, went from 6 to 7 just from reading a hand full of books after competing the Winterholm College librarian's first quest.

Just curious, whos Imperial or Stormcloak?
  14. random

random

Thanks Received:
    My thoughts, these only have spoilers for the beginning of the game.
    I first chose stormcloaks since I rushed the intro before and took pity for the nord in chains. After playing the game a while I realized I was on the wrong side, the stormcloaks seem to discriminate other races and fight for a nord only skyrim imo that is wrong and you get many hints of this during the cart ride with Rolaf ie.

"Look at those elves, I bet they had something to do with this, they are probably spies of the imperials" etc.

imo the stormcloaks are a racist delusional bunch that are quick to blame their problems on other races in the elderscrolls world thus turning me off completely from choosing them.
    mlee49 says thanks.
  15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to get a higher resolution LCD but I know my Wife will shit bricks if I bring home yet another monitor. TBH I have not even looked at any screens that go above 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. I can't say I've seen any other than CRT. I'll have to look into that.

When I met my now Wife I was using a 37" 1080P LCD but once we bought our first house she quickly decided that a 37" screen on a desk looked ridiculous (her word). So I down graded to a 27".

Yeah I know the mods can be used now and maybe I'll spend some time looking through the mods at nexus. :toast:
  16. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    lolz

2 hand sword + Legendary Heavy Dragon Armor + Ring of Health Regen + Necklace of Health Regen

armor rating 350 with 40% faster Health Regen

I can now go toe to toe with any foes in the game ive found, ive yet to try krosis, or w.e but ill give it a go a bit later, need to enchant my armor next, going full HP Regen on all armor if everything goes right i should be at 120-150% health regen rate add Health Regen Spell and i should be able to get closer to 200-250% regen rate to the point I should go toe to toe against Korsis in melee without issue. that and having like 350 hp + potion for an extra 100hp for 450 total really gives me a giant chunk of HP to sit there and laugh the damage off.
  17. ufgy20

Thanks Received:
    ok so this is what i wished to show you guys. Its simply an amazing weapon and very powerful.

[​IMG]
  18. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Any body else having the problem were it doesn't load when you click new game? It just cycles through the tips and the dragon comes in and out but never loads :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. ufgy20

Thanks Received:
    Krosis magic is nothing to mess with. he hits like a bus. i was lucky enough to be an archer so i was able to kill from range alot easier. well that and he fell off the back side of the cliff losing about half of his life total
  20. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @Whitenoise ... how much power does your system draw under load?
    I was just wondering if I could pull off a pair of 6970s with a 750w PSU (no over clock on my CPU)
  21. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Kreij, you should add a poll to the OP for what race/character path we play.

I'm not even sure where mine should be. Breton Mage I guess. Enchanted staff's and magic is all I roll with.
  22. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't add (or modify) polls ... only supermods and admins can do that.
  23. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I actually don't know off the top of my head but I would think a good 750w PSU will handle it no problem.
  24. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. :)
  25. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can, Click advanced edit then click under thread tools
    Crunching for Team TPU