1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Why no mention about the PC patch update? They better fix this LAA with the latest patch so we can all enjoy more than 2GB.

2. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pete Hines Approves 4GB LAA

Twitter:

Zerosion:
    [2011/11/22][13:28:25]
    [Translate]: @DCDeacon Any plans to give us a fix on the GB limit? Will it make a difference if I say please?

DCDeacon:
    [2011/11/22][14:43:43]
    [Translate]: @Zerosion New launcher: forums.bethsoft.com

Super XP and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    The new 4GB Patcher works, though it sounds like BP had some issues with CF and it, but it works great for single cards.

4. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it works. But if you're using an ATI card and saw improvements when you updated to 11.11a, those improvements will not work if you install the new 4GB LAA patch, irrespective of whether you've got crossfire or not.

(Single card users saw +7 fps, CF users saw +15 to +20 increase in minimum fps --- lol that's why I make a fuss :eek: it's too good to lose such performance increase.)

Because it changes the .exe file to skyrim4GB.exe

11.11a will apply its improvements only to TESV.exe ; it will not recognize a file called skyrim4GB.exe to be the same as the TESV.exe

I haven't yet played again, but I will try to change the filename from Skyrim4GB.exe to TESV.exe and see what happens :pimp:

5. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I saw a gain with 11.11a and that gain didnt go away with that new LAA patcher. It does change the exe, but I think it still makes a call to the original launcher, otherwise Steam would say you are playing a Non-Steam game Skyrim, but using that launcher fires up Steam chat and says I am still in a Steam game.

I did a bunch of testing last night on ini and game tweaks and checked FPS after every change, here's my results (LAA was included)
    Vanilla 1.2 Fully Maxed - high-55 low-35
    Vanilla 1.2 2x AA - high-61 low-36
    Vanilla 1.2 2x AA 12x AF - high-61 low-37
    Vanilla as above + no blurs - high- 61 low-38
    As Above 8192/4096/4096 Shadows - high-60 low-35
    As Above + Trees/LandShadows BlurDefer=2 - high-58 low-36
    As Above + Grass Changes - high-60 low-36
    As Above + Water Changes - high- 60 low-36
    As Above LOD Changes - high-61 low-33
    As Above More Grass Changes - high-61 low-33
    As Above + fSplitMult 2.5 - high-61 low-32
    As Above + Trees Fix - high-61 low-32
    As Above + LOD Fade Items - high-61 low-33
    As Above + Threaded Tweaks - high-61 low-36

Texture Packs
    Landscape - high-59 low-35
    Vurts/Enhanced Night/Armor/Clothes/Beautiful - high-59 low-36
    All other TPs except eyes - high-60 low-35
    Above + LAA - high-60 low-34

6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :confused: I haz a sad.

Mine does. I go from 40 fps to 28 fps. Just tested it using the same save game.

My steam still works fine, I mean I play while having Steam running.

And the 'new LAA patcher' doesn't let me change the name of the .exe file so it's recognized by 11.11a

[​IMG]

I hope that what I read about other people having the new LAA not working after doing a 'restore previous version' of the .exe wasn't precise

7. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anybody else get an nice increase in fps with the enbpatch while running cfx ?
    Also lag is nonexistant with it while running x4AA. I noticed before this patch, cfx and AA I would have microstutteres every 5-10sec's.
    Im getting between 40-60fps with this, before I was around 25-40fps..

8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Man I can't wait for some decent weather mods.

What I really want to see is the streams/rivers becoming more rapid as it rains and the calming down again when its not. Maybe some water puddles, better lighting.

I love rain and I think some dynamic water flows would simply be awesome.

Super XP and Ray_Rogers2109 say thanks.
  10. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same here and would download this mod. Maybe it's also the reason why I love watching BLADE RUNNER on rainy days. Fits with the movie perfectly.

11. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    For anyone that's not hardcore tweaking and looking for better FPS... I turned my AA to 0 and can run everything else on ultra except shadows (medium) and it runs smooth as butter. As soon as I put 2x AA back on then the FPS drops drastically. Pretty obvious as there's a zillion edges to smooth but just thought i'd contribute.

12. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    It would be awesome if the rivers could flood.

13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    some good news for modders

it seems skyrims lod has the partial landmasses for Cyrodil, High Rock, and Morrowind, we might see some good expansions because of this or modders can simply add in content.
    but if you try to go to them you fall through the ground because its not coded in the game.

ima go see how far i can get before i fall to my death ^^

why did they put the tower in cyrodil in the games LOD?

14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't you need some boarder removing mod like Oblivion needed? That out yet? Or is easy to mod?

15. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you would need to remove the borders somehow. Right now, for me if I try to go too far it stops me and says something like "you cannot go that way"

16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yea but if you want to see what they look like now you can get as close as you can and use tfc in the console to go into camera mode and just fly past the wall:D

the thing is when you do that the game crashes randomly but you can clearly see a good chunk oh Vvardenfell(or whatever that is) is in the game.

see this is where i got to

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Skyrim: The Iron Fist Expansion Pack to get released sometime in late 2012/early 2013. :D:eek::rolleyes:

18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Well I just did a more official check of it, comparing 11.11a with 1.1 and 1.2. Like I said my results with 1.2 + LAA and all my other INI and Texturepacks my high was 60 and my low was 34. I reverted TESV.exe to 1.1, applied LAA to it and checked, my High was 57 and my low was 38. So a bit less up top, but a bit more fps down low, which actually might be overall better, I always like raising the low number. But overall, the average fps was about the same.

**EDIT**
    Tried going to a capital city running 1.1 with AA and it crashed. So I got a clean install of the game (since my old one had that 4gb launcher that had been used on it), remodded it, reset the ini's, reapplied Fords LAA, and tried again. Was able to load into a capital, checked fps again, and get High - 65, low - 40. So having that 4gb launcher applied to my old install must have messed it up somehow. It does seem you were right, 1.1 is what to stick with, 5 fps gain up top and 6 fps gain down low.

That does sound cool, but I don't think the rain effects the water at all. It's hard to tell how the water works with the basic water, but if you get Isoku's water then look at a stream, you can see rivers don't actually flow. All water in the game comes from one direction, I don't know how to really word it, so I opened paint and made a crappy drawing.

[​IMG]

The blue lines are the way water flows, black lines are the banks of the river. With the big waves in the vanilla game it's hard to tell exactly what direction the water moves. If you bump vanilla water to 2048x2048 it makes it look much better, but still too hard to tell. But once you get a modded water it's pretty apparent (my only gripe about modded water, but it's not their fault that Beth made it flow like that). So all I can assume is there is just a water level stuck under the land and the water sticks to that level, so to make rivers over flow, might be almost impossible. But thats just from looking at it from a non-extremely technical side, I don't know modding, so just looking at it as I see it.

Shouldn't be hard to make, you can remove borders in the commands, someone linked a video earlier of a flight around Tamreil, but it wasn't using TFC, they were flying their character (of course using commands) in first person, they just turned off the borders.

I'm assuming you are joking, a google of the name shows absolutely zero results. Either way, would be nice if DLC/Expansions were that far off, would show they are actually putting time into making them like an Expansion should be, not some chinsy DLC.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
    Velvet Wafer says thanks.
  19. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Couldn't take it anymore. Got a 580 3 GB for $400. I figure I won't be able to afford the 680, and the 670 def. won't have that much vram. Wonder just how far I'll be able to take the ugrid with that.

20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    lmfao, I just came across a book in the game called The Lusty Argonian Maid, v1

21. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that book made an appearance as early as Morrowind iirc. Maybe earlier; I didn't play them.

22. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Great man:cool:

gotta find that book

23. yami2ki

yami2ki

Thanks Received:
    I sure hope the patch fixes all these bugged quests...

I can't do the Werewolf cure quest, because everytime I accept and try to leave Jorrvaskar with Farkas or Vilkas, the quest goes under "Complete" and Vilkas/Farkas stop following me, turn around and go back in Jorrvaskar, then I can't recruit any followers because it thinks Vilkas/Farkas is still following me. ~Forever Werewolf -__-

...and

The Cidna Mine quest in Marakarth. If you have followers with you when you get tossed into the mine, when you finish the quest and escape, they will keep coming up to you and talking over and over. Killing them and res'ing them with the console won't stop it, fast travel won't stop it, reloading the game won't stop it.

Also, I start out with 45-50 FPS, but after an hour or so of playing the FPS drops to 15-20 and starts to lag and stutter hardcore, I don't know what's causing it... I tried lowering all my settings in the .ini but didn't help at all... :banghead: Running latest nVIDIA beta drivers too, still don't know what's up...

Sigh.. I wish Bethesda would get their shit together... I expected so much from this game, really thought by now they could release a game that didn't have more bugs than an apartment in the projects...

24. burtram

burtram

Thanks Received:

I have a similar issue, after I play the game for decent periods of time, the starts to stutter, and lag like crazy. Granted, just quicksave and restart the game, but still, it is rather annoying.

25. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    memory leaks. ^

Velvet Wafer says thanks.