1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU limited, all the AI stuff.

pantherx12 says thanks.
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Yeah his damage is pretty stellar. I had Lydia(Whiterun Jarl gift), she tanks damage pretty good while I Fireballed his ass. Definately hard to do as a stealthy tactic.

3. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    In my case, i don't keep companions, i usually travel alone since having companions usually destroy my stealthy approach, but they can be useful for large battles for this one. Enhanced dagger on left hand, Nightingale blade on right hand managed to help (Nightingale blade absorbs health).

4. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I get up to 86% on my GPU in Whiterun, low GPU usage can indicate that your CPU is bottlenecking.

pantherx12 says thanks.
  5. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Lol i just found out how to mine ore faster. Dual wield a pickaxe then dual power attack the ore. done in 3 seconds

[​IMG]

Ahhzz, Super XP, Velvet Wafer and 3 others say thanks.
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This game desperately needs multicore support :laugh:

7. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    game uses mostly 2 threads (almost max) in my case and minor usage on the 3rd thread for me...

8. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea the difference is if you edit the Ugrid settings the game exponetially increases CPU load, on the AI / Physics threads *havok* which get overloaded, on a single core. even if you thread them via INI and other tweaks it dosent thread them properly so your pretty much stuck..

Bethesda needs a true NEW game engine,

this creation engine / gamebryo / net immerse is at its end, bethesda needs to stop with the tweaks and PAY for the new engine version which has full DX11 support ground up etc. but they wont do that because consoles dont need it. so untill Xbox 720 / PS4 / Wii U launch bethesda will keep what they have. because it works and theres no need to change,

there already making excuses about piracy. pc hardware is a headache etc etc.

whats funny is the console version was the first to get pirated and used lol

Super XP and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  9. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Imo they dont need to put the latest graphical technology in it (maybe just optional such as tesselation) but at least take advantage of all multicore/thread processors of today along with the advanced capabilities and optimizations of new GPUs that could still scale down well (to DX9 level consoles). Heck they may wanna take advantage of DirectCompute/OpenCL or maybe even CUDA/APP for texture decoding (for better looking textures) and let the CPU handle all the non graphical tasks such as AI/path finding/physics and other game assets, and yeah, more than 2GB of addressable memory XD. Even console emulators take advantage of these advanced technologies lol.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  10. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know if steam keeps your save games :D

I just formatted my pc to clear up windows slowing and didn't think about the save games!!! LOL my missus will not be happy if i have to start over :D

11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I think Skyrim still saves the the My Games folder in my Documents like Oblivion.

12. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    savegames are stored where you edit the ini files just like in their other titles :)

13. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I've been reading all the books I've collected in-game so far. Started a few hours ago and I'm just now getting into the B's, going alphabetically. :laugh: Granted, I skipped a few that are sequels to books that I don't have yet.
    I honestly never even thought of actually equipping a pickaxe at all. I just press E on the ore vein. I'll try that out though; too bad I can't have two Notched Pickaxes (without cheating).
    I'm not sure, but I would think so if it makes use of Steam Cloud. There's only one good way for you to find out now though :p

14. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    If you make a back up of Slkyrim on to the HDD, would it also include the downloaded and installed updates?

15. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I would think so.

16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    steam games can be copy pasted between systems, they just wont include save games/work on steam accounts that dont own it.

17. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I seem to be able to copy and paste save files from Documents>My Games>Skyrim. I've pretty much been doing this so that I don't overwrite any saves between my characters.

18. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    This game is just so fun..!

19. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    friday, now work tomorrow, imma pull an all nighter >8]

foreveralone.png

20. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I want to do the same but I can't stop yawning.
    And it's due to Skyrim that I'm tired.

Time for some energy drinks!

21. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Just read "Biography of Barenziah" volumes 1-3, and then "The Real Barenziah" volumes 1-5. I'm very amused at how differently they explain the same events.

I highly recommend reading these as they give great insight into the events leading up to the first Elder Scrolls game, Arena. If you haven't collected them in-game, you can find them on UESP. Also, The Real Barenziah is a good read, regardless.

Ahhzz and 1Kurgan1 say thanks.
  22. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest you brew a more potent Stamina Potion, assuming you have a high alchemy skill :)

23. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I lose morel ike 15 fps, anything with ENB is unplayable for me. I mentioned it on an ENB mod, but they didn't really respond.

Krosis is a badass, that was a hard fight for my Warrior since I usually refuse to use bows, was lucky I had one on me when I found him. I died the first time since the dragon never landed, just strafed me and lit me up as I hid from Krosis. So next time up I shot the dragon with my bow, took care of him, then Krosis.

You should keep a post that you edit and just repaste in spoilers for us that shows small summaries of what you read that you think we might be interested in. I had started the game reading every book I came across, but when I entered a house with like 15 books, I just said F that, not going to sit in this house for 30 min reading books vs exploring. But I do like reading some that seem they might be interesting, so if you got some oyu suggest, I think everyone here would like to know. :toast:

24. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Dude, in this thread, it would get buried real fast :laugh:

Anyways, short answer would just be to collect every book you come across, then next time you unload at your house, start reading. You can usually tell pretty quickly whether the book is boring or not by the tone. The ones with a narrative tone that actually tell a story are good and the ones that read like a fucking history book tend to be boring and only worth reading to increase you're knowledge of the lore.

Off the top of my head, I'll recommend a few:
    -Of course the ones above.
    -Mystery of Talara
    -Beggar, Thief, and whatever the other books are in this series (at the end of each one it names the next)
    -Thief of Virtue
    -Argonian Account

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  25. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it would, but thats why I mentioned putting it in spoilers. Then when you update it later on, just copy and paste the updated list into whatever post you are making and tell everyone it's the recommended read list updated. I might start doing something like this for mods (If I'm not lazy).