1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Just got home from work 7-9. installing now then will start playing tomorrow after some good sleep. Can't wait to start.

2. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    It has to be said that performance in this game is astounding in comparison to Oblivion. I'm at 1680x1050 with a lowly HD 5770 stock and I'm running Ultra with 16AF 4xFXAA, all sliders ramped up and boxes checked. The only thing I have had to turn down one is Shadows to high else it just becomes a stuttery mess. Locked my FPS to 40fps with DXtory and it is butter smooth woot woot.

3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Just got back home and opened the box from Amazon, it was huge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished installing it and am about to start the game! :rockout:

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone know how to get into saarthal? i need some key, and i cant find it to finish the quest.

5. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    You have to go inside candy mountain.

tigger says thanks.
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    cant tell if trolling >.>

tigger says thanks.
  7. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    The game doesn't do well with any custom bindings.

8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Up to the golden claw quest, I am playing master difficulty, it takes the gameplay to a whole new level imo. I cannot stomach easy games after playing over 150 hours of Dark Souls it is much more fun for me as when I played Oblivion on normal I ended up just hacking and slashing throughout the entire game whereas in Skyrim so far I am ending up using all my pots even the weapon modifiers so this will lead to me having to use alchemy etc. I can see myself spending hundreds of hours on this game too :toast:

Oh and to people saying there isn't a difference between the difficulties, I can tell you the enemies have alot more HP, your combat stats will be MUCH higher by the time you reach end-game both offensive and defensive depending on the difficulty you choose.

The playstyle I am having fun with so far is a spellblade build that uses two hands for spells and then quickly changing to a two handed weapon after I run out of mana.

My gripes with the game so far is when equipping two weapons only one scabbard shows up and the character only draws one sword while on the other hand the weapon magically appears. There is also one with the two handed swords and spells, seriously if you're just using your hands to cast spells the character should at least be able to put his secondary weapon around his back or around his waist after being added to your favourites... these minor things are lessening the immersion for me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  9. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Took me a short time too installing from disc and a bit while installing the update. No idea why but the loading screens are a bit slow unless if it's for small areas. I have the RAM but I guess SKYRIM isn't fully utilising it.

Agreed on the over-all volume level for this game. Same settings for other games I'm using with SKYRIM my housemates would've been pounding on my door to turn the volume down, I always alt+tab when playing games to lower the volume level, but the sound is very low. No clue why.

Of course shadows and several other minor bits here and there are being a let-down but hey, this title just released.
    I'm in Whiterun right now and about the loading times...:rolleyes:

10. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just found this and thought ya'll might find it useful... If it has been posted already, my apologies.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Tweaks Improve Graphics, Disable VSync, Change FOV, and More

Quote from MaximumPC site:

Mussels says thanks.
  11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried changing your download region? Or was it the actual installation that took ages

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just realized that enemies don't level up when you level up. Love it. Love the random Dragon fights as well.

13. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone fixed this?

My left mouse button controls my right hand and my right mouse button controls my left hand :twitch: Irrespective of whether I put sword or fireball in the right or left.

Edit: Oh and "Skyrim reaches nearly 250,000 concurrent Steam users on day one, topples MW3"!!

digibucc says thanks.
  14. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    custom key binding is annoying, i remap the action and draw weapon button and it doesnt function well (when i want to pick up a book for example i map it to mouse 3 but the label still says its e i prss both but nuthin happens)

15. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I especially don't like the fact when you have two spells on both hands it doesn't automatically change your keys for each hands, left click should be left hand and right hand should be right click when you are using spells imo.

16. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So my Skyrim's been running fine, I'm 12 hours into the game and not one crash or issue except for the flickering shadows which I corrected with the .ini fix I posted in page 2 here.

However, when I enter the Pelagius Wing of the Blue Palace, I can't go beyond a certain spot.
    The game freezes (the music continues playing) and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Here's exactly where this occurs:
    (It's not really a spoiler, I put it in tags because of image size.)
    [​IMG]

Right after I break through those cobwebs *bam*

I tried sneaking past that point, walking on the sides of the corridor instead of in the middle, (lol) but in vain.

Duh, guess I've got no choice but to postpone this quest for later!

random says thanks.
  17. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hope that doesn't happen to me :S, sounds like a game breaking bug.

18. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    1 or 2 hits from a giant kills me lol, good thing monsters doesn't somehow level with you

19. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    try walking backwards ;)

20. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    is it just me or im getting some weird mouse acceleration when im indoors/dungeons? doesn't happen outside

21. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting awful framerates even after disabling VSync in the .ini file and installing the latest driver 11.10
    Especially when I'm in the water, even on low settings D:

22. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i am digging back in for another day. got 2 hours after midnight release and then 8 more yesterday, with work! i have no life.

i'm ok with that though, because i've got skyrim :) see you tonight folks ;)

23. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    I tried a cheat code from Fallout-New Vegas(i know,cheats ruin games and i wont be using cheats in Skyrim) and it worked..

24. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really bud? See my earlier post - It has to be said that performance in this game is astounding in comparison to Oblivion. I'm at 1680x1050 with a lowly HD 5770 stock and I'm running Ultra with 16AF 4xFXAA, all sliders ramped up and boxes checked. The only thing I have had to turn down one is Shadows to high else it just becomes a stuttery mess. Locked my FPS to 40fps with DXtory and it is butter smooth woot woot.

So let's troubleshoot for you...uninstall the drivers and reboot, use atiman uninstaller and reboot, reinstall drivers (I'm using the 11.10's by the way with no CAPs), update direct x and make sure you install the supplied visual C++ files) If theres no joy then, make sure your cpu and gpu are fine temperature wise. Try clocking your CPU higher or perhaps try disabling two cores.

Keep us posted and I'll try to help.

25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my performance isnt as great as you're claiming to have, i have to run on high with 2xaa to get decent performance at 1080p. makes me wonder if you forced settings elsewhere (CCC?) that are ignoring some of your in game settings.