1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Using Oblivion's Crossfire profile is enough to get me 60 FPS in areas that aren't as heavily modded so I think I'm staying with the 11.10 drivers :cool:
  2. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Tip for those of you that, like me, always lose track of Lydia (and/or other companions).

You can replace that with any other character's ID if you need to. UESP can help you find those IDs, or you can probably find them in-game with the console by typing "help [nameofcharacter] 0"
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Well with CF it won't matter a ton, especially if you are using 11.10's. But for anyone single card 11.11a's are the best option, and 1.1 exe for the game with Fords LAA patcher is the way to go.
  4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Question about Dwarven/Dwemer ruins:

I am like 60 hours in and haven't found one yet (that I know of...plenty of unexplored locations I've discovered). So it's past time and I need the ingots too. I know there is a large one beneath Makareth (the only town I havent gone to yet) so was gonna head there and find it but if there is a quest line that sends me to it (or to another one) I guess that would be ideal. So let me know please. E.g. "do the Companions line" or "continue down the main quest" (I'm just past Greybeards) or such would be cool to know and not too spoiledy. Or if I should just go to the town and start talking to people let me know that too. Thanks, can PM me...
  5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Just ordered a 3rd monitor for some skyrim eyefinity action! Got a 22" for main and 2x 20" for the sides. Resolution will be 4800x900. Think my 6870 can handle it? Gonna be sweet!
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to the
    Understone Keep in Markarth and speak to Calcelmo
    . Just see what options he'll come up with... He'll want you to do something for him ;)

You'll be given quests in Dwemer ruins. Been there... done that :)
    Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Stuck at a game breaking bug in the main quest, 3 times ive had this bug.
    When i use the Elder Scroll to go back to the past to learn a shout, Alduin comes and then talks a bit and everyone freezes either fighting him, once even before i got to see him. They just stand like dummies not letting me continue.
  8. razaron

razaron

Thanks Received:
    Use the console to cheat past the bug. That's what I do for quest bugs.
    KieranD says thanks.
  9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Id rather not but i might have to do that.
  10. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    It is part of the Thieves Guild quest line.
    theJesus says thanks.
  11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Travel companions can be really annoying when they do dumb things like stay in a cave because the track leading out is too complex for their AI to handle, so they just stay in there.
    So I just use Unrelenting Force on them.

If that doesn't work, fast traveling to another place works as well.

Hm.....I think my Thieves Guild quest is broken, I don't recall any quest about nightingale hall.
    Velvet Wafer says thanks.
  12. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I normally fast travel or enter a building or something, but earlier I had lost Lydia completely and she wasn't popping anywhere when I fast traveled or entered buildings. I got worried she was dead, but I tried moving her to me with console and *poof* there she was lol.
  13. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    a series of quests related to the thieves guild.
    theJesus says thanks.
  14. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Looks like my Theives guild main quest is bugged as Maven will not give men the next quest as I did not go see her straight after Brnyolf asked me.
  15. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I'm a bit dissapointed in the levelling system - yet again everything levels up with you, so the bandiths that were a threat 20 levels ago are somehow still a threat now.

I also feel that dragons should be the toughest things out there, after all, people are scared of them in the cities more than anything else. It's a tad immersion breaking when I can down a dragon reletively easy but some random mage in a dungeon no-one has heard of can kill me in 2 hits through my legindary daedric armour.

This all comes from the fact I just met hamelyn (king of rats), who one shotted me out of nowhere when I'm level 33 in full armour
  16. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't bother be too much, I can kill most of them in one or two hits with my dual firebolts. What does bother me is that dungeons and such are apparently "locked" at whatever level you first enter them at. So you kinda get punished with crappy loot for exploring a lot early in the game. I would certainly prefer if everything were static.
    Some dragons are tougher than others, but I agree. I've been disappointed by more than a few dragons that just went down too easy.
    I had the same problem with him, except I don't really wear armor. Once I was able to get the first hit though, he didn't have a chance. The "impact" perk for destruction dual-casting is great.
  17. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    level 34, ~56hrs in the game. Dragons are still a large threat for my lightly armored sneak assassin, so i still need to prepare mahself hehe (switch to dual wield sword/SnS from dual dagger). I could easily kill some bandits and other humanoids as well (specially when i try to use shadow warrior perk >8D ), beasts doesn't seem to be not affected much by the perk but i could easily manage trolls/ice trolls now
  18. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    leveling system isn't perfect but it works pretty decent imo. Your right dragons should scale more or just be harder in general. Really need to be facing two(one frost one fire, if they're both the same its still too easy) to have it be an exciting fight. When I faced Alduin was way too easy of a fight. Bandits aren't too hard, I just need to be able to survive one power attack, after the first swipe of my mace will do enough massive stamina damage to prevent another and a couple more and they're dead.
  19. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I actually love this about the game as it gives you the freedom to quest anywhere you like without it affecting the difficulty of other quests imo if they didn't scale the level of the quests with the character then it'd appear too linear to me as in following a quest chain just because it's my level that would make the game way too boring.
  20. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I thought skyrim was different from oblivion, ie: things do not level with you. Different areas have tougher mobs. Bosses are always a challenge. But for the most part everything seems consistent.

also, armor rating does not equal magic protection.
  21. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I preferred an oblivion mod I had where individual mobs wouldn't level, but there would be more of them the higher level you were - that meant I could still kick ass, but would still have to worry as there would be a lot of enemies to kill. I'm sure there will be a mod for it in skyrim soon enough though...
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Just grind away with your attacks and you can kill anything. Watch your health and how much their attacks damage. The health regeneration spells make the game kinda easy so anything in Skyrim can be hit and run.

I dont really notice either way that enemies level up or there are certain ones that are just harder. Oblivion was stupid, if i remember, bandits would end up with good swords ect.
  23. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    giants still 2 hit/1 hit me lol, tho i don't fly to cyrodill anymore, maybe fixed by vsync/frame limiter (physics doing weird things when vsync is disabled like vertical axis too sensitive, rattling and flying objects, water suddenly splashing etc.).
    Would like to have really tough ones that is very hard to kill tho, like if you only reach a certain level/skill/ etc. (Like in Xenoblade, a sandbox/openworld single player jRPG, several creatures are just insanely powerful lol)

btw, anyone remember Martigen's Monster Mod? :D

Highwayman, bandits having daedric armor lol
  24. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    I like the leveling setup with Skyrim over Oblivion, but I don't like the fact Dragons are not the strongest creatures. They should be the strongest and very difficult to kill.

In regards to the "bandiths that were a threat 20 levels ago are somehow still a threat now". I believe they too gain experience as time goes on which is why they are a threat.
  25. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    one of the save game tooltips mentioned that there are various types of dragons at various difficulties, and... you are the dragonborn, the killer of dragons. kinda makes sense they're easy for the player to off, just not for anyone else in skyrim.
    NinkobEi and Super XP say thanks.