1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you're supposed to stand there i think, there was a mage quest where you had to use a shielding power in front of other students, maybe thats what you're up to.

2. random

random

Thanks Received:
    ehr what? I got mine for 30 bucks dude! You got an 1100T and a 6990 and say you can't afford 30 bucks.. when there is a will there is a way :laugh: you should try buying from CD key websites they do great for cheapos like me. :rockout: Although I still can't run my game through steam but running it from the launcher is just fine and I still get the hours count and all the achievements which is win!

3. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Yessir ;)

5 Million points folded for TPU
  4. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:

change the target to read only? skyrim exe

5. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm that would make sense. But I already did that shielding power - It's called "Ward" in my journal.... so I don't think it's it..

Here's a screenshot of my journal showing where I'm stuck in the quest, ie in front of Tolfdir, waiting for him to start speaking so I listen:

[​IMG]

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Eh, I've always been a steam-hater. If it was just the LAA, I'd be fine. I'd patch it (like I did), start the game from the executable, and move on. but the latest patch keeps you from running that smoothly. To step aside, Any DRM that causes more problem to the legitimate consumer than to a pirate (like this one does), is a rock bruise on my foot. And I don't like it ;)

great game, no doubt. I've logged dozens of hours since it was released, and really enjoy playing, but if they'd just stuck with a cd-check, I'd be fine. don't like steam, I don't I don't ;). Chevron has good gas. but I boycott them because of the way they purchased up and stopped development on some alternative fuels back around the turn on the century (my fiancee worked for the company developing them at the time). So, good gas, bad company practice, they don't get my money. To me, same principal applies. Good game (ok, I give, great game heheh), but bad company practice. :toast:

7. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah that was as simple as listening to him talk. do you have a save from before you started the tour?

I don't disagree, and i don't want to get this thread OT so i'll leave it at this: I love steam, and prefer it over any other retail option. no one has explained what the problem with it is other than simply needing it, needing an account, etc. but as i said - companies need some form of copy protection, and steam is the most benign to legitimate users while providing enough protection for the majority of AAA developers.

there is a drm fight, but steam is not the bad guy in it i don't think. they basically made it so you can get AAA titles online, because before them it was much less likely any company would allow their game to be downloaded.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  8. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I'm seeing something from him about casting a ward spell...
    Any chance you can tell me which quest you're on? He's got a few that deal with him, and I'm not sure where to start ;)

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i think BP needs to stand on that mark on the ground, look at tolfdir and cast the ward spell and hold it in place.

Black Panther says thanks.
  10. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    The listen part is a class. When I did that part I came in during the day and there were a number of the new students in the room with him and when I walked over to that spot of the room he broke into instruction.

Thats what it looks like to me by your journal. Maybe try at a different time of the day?

11. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Tofildir should have blabbed on about something then will want you to stand to the left of him if you are in the center of the hall of enchantments, then he will want you to cast a ward spell to deflect his destruction magic.

12. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    First Lessons
    [​IMG]

Ahhzz says thanks.
  13. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    I'll try that. Could be it was the last thing I heard in the game before quitting and going to sleep so I forgot what he wanted me to do :eek: I do have the ward spell in my inventory (actually got 2 of them I think). My character's a bit ADD sometimes. I hope this works :toast:

14. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Yeah when you stand away from him and activate the ward..hold it and he tells you to hold it while he attacks.

15. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Nope it didn't work. I did as Mussels suggested, stood on that mark on the floor, faced Tolfdir and tried both spells on him, Lesser Ward and Steadfast Ward, till I ran out of magicka.

He just stood there staring.

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    there should have been students in the room watching, i wonder if you left/waited and it broke it

17. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Had a quick google and this bug was mentioned numerous times over all platforms.
    PC can skip it by the console.

18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    do you have a save from before the tour?

19. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    There are students around me, a Khajiit, a dark elf lady, and some other 3 guys...

But - I remember I did all of that 'ward' thing yesterday after listening to a short speech from Tolfdir... he asked me something... if I remember well he wanted to know which topic he should teach that day, whether it should be 'protection' or 'something practical'. Then he told me to do the 'ward' spell...

So yes, Tolfdir did speak and I did what he asked, but as shown in my screenshot in my previous post, my journal didn't get updated so I'm "stuck".

Apparently that part of the quest should have been 'marked' as complete but for some reason the quest in my journal didn't get updated.

I'll reload a previous save tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll be trying ' setstage MG01 200 ' to see if I can get the quest marked.

The worst would be moving on to something else in the game :)

20. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I had a problem with this quest as well, I stood on the marked spot but even with the lesser ward on I still kept getting damaged, he had to repeat himself 10 times til I finally took off my armor to get nekkid and for some reason it worked.

21. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    I dont back Ahhzz claims but I can say that the game plain jane no mods or edits crashes constantly to desktop for me, changing the game to be LAA solved all that, currently tho the method of using the mod on skyrim nexus to launch the game using skyrim.exe.4gb means we lose proper crossfire support. on top of that we get 0 driver optimizations so any fixes AMD comes up with are null and void, and without LAA my games unplayable even when freshly downloaded from steam. So essentially with my edits and mods i should peg 60fps easy but i get 20 instead. if i want 60 standard i have to give up stability aka crashes every 5 mins, Its a damned if you do damned if you dont situation, In all honestly it wouldnt kill Bethesda to make the game LAA aware by DEFAULT when the recompile the exe, for each patch, that would be an extremely easy fix and solve problems on both sides. sadly im pretty sure bethesda is to stupid to do that. That said, ive gotten use to 20fps avg frame rates, game looks great with my settings and mods. just kinda sad the regular methods to get xfire working with LAA is pretty much SOL.

22. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    BP, I'm pretty sure it's your 5970 acting up. I'd seriously consider sending it to me for a thorough check, problem is it may take a while to diagnose. I may have to have it for a good couple years, by then you'll probably just need to move on and buy another card.

What'da think? :D :D :)

digibucc says thanks.
  23. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    oh M'aiq where can i meet you next? XD
    Ive only met him twice so far...

24. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    check google for the event you need to execute to get past any glitches in the story.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I noticed he was back and standing in random places.