1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Official Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kreij, Nov 10, 2011.

1. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
  2. Inioch

Inioch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so the 1.2 patch broke it for me. When the game loads the menu doesn't show up. I remember someone else having the same problem here. How did you guys fix it? I have the normal steam version.
  3. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    So after hearing about all the issues with the new patch I went home and backed up my ES folder. Then I attempted to disable steam from updating but it updated so fast It was done before I could get to the settings. (In hind sight I should have disabled my web)

So I decided to play the game through steam without the LAA mod to see how everything ran.

3 hours later the game was still running beautifully and I didn't have a single CTD. My fps were exactly the same as they were before the patch and my CF is still working fine.

Honestly I'm not having any issues that I'm aware of. Not using LAA in the past meant I'd get a CTD every once in awhile...sometimes not for many hours. So I figure I may still CTD even after the latest patch but so far it hasn't.

I'm starting to think that not using mods and tweaks is why my game runs so good. other than the LAA I run the game vanilla. I've been waiting for the official mod tool kit to release before I try any mods.
  4. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Technically it didn't "update so fast", it essentially bypassed the disabled updating function of Steam. Well that's what I read what happened. Offline mode is still the safest option to avoid auto-updating.
  5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it isn't till you start adding mods that require more RAM that the patch becomes even useful. Hence why they haven't given us native support for 4GB of RAM, because the vanilla game runs fine using 2GB.
  6. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Thats not totally true. I used to get a random CTD every few hours or so but when I started using the LAA patch I never get a CTD. and while enabled the game uses 3.24GB of memory. So I would say that even without mods it's worth using. Maybe more useful with mods I'm sure but still helpful to me.
  7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I had the problem where the menu loads, but when you click play the menu reloads rather than starting.

My issue was the game decided to delete TESV.exe. I, luckily had a backup because I tried to enable 4GB of ram earlier. Check your Steam folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common), and make sure that Steam didn't delete it.

If Steam did screw you, shoot me a PM. I can send you my backup copy.
  8. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Will try tonight, do you still have the link for this Fords LAA program and the 1.1exe?
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Was surfing youtube through the most random crap ever, then noticed the 2nd most favorite comment on this video. Most of those memes haven't made me laugh, but I burst out laughing at this one.

[​IMG]
    digibucc says thanks.
  10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    seriously, that arrow in the knee has got to be an incredibly common injury in skyrim.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  11. Inioch

Inioch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but didn't help. I did have the exe still. I'll have to try again after verifying the game cache again.
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Last night while zoning out trying to fall asleep it occurred to how excruciatingly awful it would be to have an arrow impaled in my knee.

As for Offline Mode it told me my game "wasn't ready" for offline play. What does that mean exactly? I never cared before so no idea offhand. I just went back to my backup and played pre-1.2. Also WhiteNoise while stability was a concern as well the main reason I don't want the patch is the broken resistance.
  13. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I used to think about how painful it would be too, then I took an arrow in the knee.
    Solaris17 and digibucc say thanks.
  14. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Reading it like that it sounds like someone shot a knee through your arrow.... :laugh:
  15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I hear you. I haven't tested that out. I don't use any resist charms/enchants, potions etc. I mean I have but I normally don't and haven't tried any since the new patch.
  16. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I have to admit I do believe the 1.2 patch has caused a noticeable frame drop in the game where there are a lot of NPCs about.

I have to admit, I'd rather the mouse keyboard controls behave a little strange on occasion and the dragon skeletons not clearing than the frame drop.

All I wanted was the the bugged quests to be fixed.

I should have backed up instead of trust the patches.
  17. yami2ki

yami2ki

Thanks Received:
    If you have Val's Crafting Meltdown Mod, ANY custom fonts, QD Inventory, or ANY mod that changes the interface (Lock pick Pro, Custom UIs, etc) uninstall them... that's what's causing it
    Inioch says thanks.
  18. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They know that high texture mods would be available for the game, and they pride themselves on allowing the game to be modded. That's why I think they should have made the game LAA aware in the first place. Or hopefully make (another) patch to make it LAA aware.

The patch is also indispensible if you use high resolution.

Vanilla settings, I don't remember crashing when I played the game for some hours at 1080p.
    But at 2560x1440 it's a crash every 30-40 minutes.

I solved that by using Ford's LAA, and happily installed Landscape Texture Pack and HD Furniture and Barrels. Now without an LAA I crash within 5-10 minutes.

I said "without an LAA" because I've lost track of what LAA or Skyrim .exe file I'm using.

:eek: I've got some 3 LAA thingies... and versions of the .exe file (restored from previous versions) and as soon as I crashed I'd try another combination. Yesterday gamed uninterruptedly for 5 hours, after running the correct LAA with the correct .exe, and my progress was marked on Steam too.
  19. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    NinkobEi and Black Panther say thanks.
  20. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Looks like someone beat me to it. Hope it works out for you,

I played for a while with the 1.1 LAA exe, no crashes and everything runs smooth as silk.

I don't have any HD texture mods yet, but it seems like using a higher uGrid value as well as some ini tweaks made my game unstable without the 4gb patch.

Is it really that hard to flag the TESV.exe as LAA at Bethesda's end when they are rolling out a patch? I honestly can't think of any reason for them not to be doing this for a game in 2011/2012.
  21. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand it either. I mean c'mon Beth.
  22. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    JUST 5000?!:mad: I would've added more.:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  23. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I was playing skyrim last night then my GF came home from work said hi and then I took an arrow in the knee.
  24. Inioch

Inioch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! That worked :toast:
  25. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Every time a guard tells me that they took an arrow in the knee, I want to put an arrow in their face. :mad:

Seriously, is there a single guard that hasn't taken an arrow in the knee?