1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Orange Box for $9.99/£5.66 on steam this weekend

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nick259, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/469/

This weekend only on steam...this has to be the best deal yet. Anybody who doesn't have any of these games yet should click the buy button immediately!

Mr.Amateur, zithe, crush3r and 5 others say thanks.
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Nice! Cant recommend pressing the buy button enough!

I paid about £20 for mine.

3. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Wow i've been waiting for it to drop again! Nice! Getting it this weekend!

4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet :D I just got my friend into PC gaming, with his limited budget 10$ for all those games is a steal! I'm gonna buy it now for him!

5. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    haha i'm so buying that :p a bargain price!

6. Wyle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am always so slow at purchasing these great games. Thanks for the link thats a kick @$$ deal... buying right now. I think my g/f gonna hate you... I already spend to much time playing games lol

7. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    Its still at $10 i just picked it up.

8. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Hey just a heads up, if anyone buys this and you already have Team Fortress 2 ill gladly pay a few bucks for you to gift it to me on steam.

9. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    I dont play TF 2 at all not my style how do you gift it?

10. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure if you can gift a game if you only have 1 copy of it. I know before when I had two copies of the same game there was a link next to the game to give the extra copy away to someone. So do you have two copies or is the one you bought with bundle your only one?

11. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    You can't, fucking steam. You can only gift the extra copy on Half Life 2 and Episode 1. So yeah, I was going to gift Portal to a friend since I already had it, but since it didn't qualify as an "Extra copy", you can't gift it.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i just bought it, and yes - only HL2 and ep1 can be gifted. lame that.

You can only gift it if you already own them before buying the orange box too, btw.
    But hey for $10...

13. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I mean, it's only $10 and you get HL2, EP1, EP2, Portal, and TF2. Any one of those is worth the money. Portal kicks utter ass, HL2 is a classic, I have yet to play the Episodes, so I am pretty excited about it.

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i already had all of them except ep2 and TF2, but $10 for those alone was worth it.

15. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    sweeet...thanks for the heads up!

16. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have HL2, but on a different steam account and I have Portal, but who cares right? EP1, EP2 and TF2 are worth the $10, plus I don't have to switch accounts to play HL2 now.

17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    +1 And DRM with golden handcuffs...

Yes, the Orange Box is an absolute bargain, especially at this price. I bought it when it first came and it was fantastic, even though I already had HL2 & HL2:EP1.

You can't gift a game that isn't an "extra" copy, because they have deliberately killed the second hand gaming market. Remember all those recent news articles about games publishers bitching about second hand games pinching their profits? This is Steam working in collusion with them to take away your first sale rights.

And it sucks.

Steam is DRM with golden handcuffs my friends, make no mistake. Subject to a few restrictions like this, it's an incredibly convenient way to manage your games, what with the auto updates, backup options, multiple PC installs etc.

I don't like this, but it's more or less acceptable, given that I don't do much trading. However, I haven't bought certain games on Steam, such as Crysis, because of the additional SecuROM malware with limited activations it foists onto you. I boycott anything like that, regardless of how good it is.

EDIT: The 3rd party SecuROM malware is imposed by the games publisher, not Steam. None of Valve's own products are infected with it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    Games like crysis and their problems with steam all come down to the people who originally made the game. Those games have DRM problems before steam ever gets involved.

Look at company of heroes - the original game had no DRM, no CD checks, nothing. After the DX10 patch they made it so you need the disk to play offline, which totally F's up using steam or directdownload (two alternate methods to buy the game) because you have no disk, therefore no offline mode!

Its not steams fault that these games screw up, the game publishers themselves need to make a slightly modified steam version of the game.

19. JC316

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you 100%. I couldn't give a rats ass about the managing options, or auto updating, or backup options. I just like the prices they have. I won't buy anything over $10 from them, but a deal like this and the other weekend deals they have are impossible to resist.

20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Oh absolutely, I wasn't trying to imply that it's Steam doing this - just look at all Valve's own products. They don't mess around with this crap. I'll put an edit to make this clear.

I bought Cod4 at the time on DVD, forgetting to check on the DRM. I realised when I came to install it, that it had SecuROM, so I swore a bit and installed it. Yes fantastic game and awesome graphics, but as soon as I finished the single player campaign, I wiped my Windows installation to get rid of SecuROM properly and never bothered going back to it, no multiplayer, nothing. I remember being forced to upgrade my Daemon Tools to a later version to get round SecuROM's interference. I was really quite annoyed with SecuROM.

Sometime later, it came to Steam on a special offer price with no 3rd party DRM and I bought that. This time only, a game publisher managed to get more money out of me because of the DRM. But it's a one-off.

Interestingly, Company of Heroes on Steam has no 3rd party DRM, DX10 capability not specified.

21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Steam rippoff pricing

Buying only at the cheap prices sounds like a great business plan. :D

Have you noticed though, how a lot of the time, their prices aren't competitive and you really gotta watch for it?

To give an example, a while ago, Frontlines Fuel of War was something like £8 on disc from Amazon, but a ridiculous £35 on Steam. I mean, WTF??! :wtf: I bought it from Steam only when the price dropped substantially.

Heck, even now, it's £16.99 from Steam, but only £2.99 from Amazon plus shipping, or £5 from play.com without free shipping.

Steam are basically ripping you off for the privilege of running it on their platform.

22. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    EU prices are rip offs, just do 9.99 euro to usd and you get 13 usd ;)

23. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    I'm so buying this :D

24. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I would so buy that if the term "Steam" was removed from the offer. Too bad...for Valve.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    If you want it you can send me the equivalent amount of euros to £5.66 by paypal (probably just over 6 euros) and i'll gift it to you?