• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Perpendicular Future of Hard Drives

grazzhoppa

Processor Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.3GHz
Motherboard Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling Scythe Ninja, two 600RPM 12CM fans
Memory 4GB DDR2 @ 832MHz, 4-4-4-12 2T
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 8800GT @ 715/980 passively cooled
Storage 1TB WD10EARS, 500GB WD5000AAKS, 250GB HM250JI
Display(s) Samsung 204b LCD
Case Ultra Wizard
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Seasonic S12-II 380 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro. (x64)
By changing the orientation of where and how data is stored on a hard drive, companies will be producing capacity record breaking storage devices. Mobile drives will see the benefit first, but the technology will come to the desktop, 3.5 inch drive, soon enough.

So don't be surprised when storage capacities skyrocket over the next year. You'll probably be asking for a new 160 GB iPod before you know it. :)

Toshiba was the first to announce a commercially available drive using a perpendicular recording method in late 2004. They were able to fit 40 GB on to one platter of a 1.8 inch hard drive. That particular drive is only 5mm thick, 3mm thinner than previous 40 GB drives of the same size. There were rumors it was going to be used in Apple iPods made sometime in early 2005.

Hitachi followed in March 2005 by showing off their own perpendicular recording technology that boasted a hefty 230 gigabits per square inch (which is about 28 gigabytes in one square inch). According to Hitachi, they can get 20 GB onto a 1 inch micro drive! They also released a nifty flash animation vis-à-vis School House Rock about the technology, which generated some internet buzz - viewable in the link above, and I suggest you view it :).

Seagate, very recently, unveiled its own perpendicular hard drive for notebooks. It raises the maximum capacity of 2.5 inch notebook drives to 160 GB.

It seems like companies will put their effort into creating perpendicular recording drives for small, mobile tech before venturing towards desktops. After all, mobile devices are relatively under-stocked with their storage capabilities. The next boom in mobile storage will happen with home video recorders. JVC announced a consumer level camcorder with no discs or tapes - simply a 20 or 30 GB hard drive to store your video on.

For most desktop users, we don't need any more data than is already available to us at an affordable price. Although companies, networks storage, professionals and amateur audio/video editors could always use more space on their drives. There is also reduced heat and noise from the hard drive when fewer platters are used. Instead of a 3 or 4 platter 300 GB drive, you might see only 1 or 2 platters giving the same storage capacity.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
Awesome cartoon

Snipe0876

thats mad itll be awsome though i have all my HDD full i could easily use another 3 to 5 hundred gig all my stuff is on dvds i have around 100 dvds all full of backups and so on thats good. nice 1 man good info there will await its arrival soon i think

Snipe0876 said:
thats mad itll be awsome though i have all my HDD full i could easily use another 3 to 5 hundred gig all my stuff is on dvds i have around 100 dvds all full of backups and so on thats good. nice 1 man good info there will await its arrival soon i think

Sure, backups... we all know the only reason for needing 500Gb.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
DanTheBanjoman said:

:D So true... Except if you want to backup each game you own a few times to make sure?? :rolleyes: But more hard drive space means that developers will start producing bigger games that takes longer to install but looks better... I won't complain. ;)

Snipe0876

:D
DanTheBanjoman said:

lol wrong idea its all movies that i have that i ripped usisng dvd shrink wether i rented it or so on and so forth i have em all and share with my friends each movie is 4.3 gb and i go through alot of movies dont get me wrong i dont dl them to bad of quality ill buy them or rent them before i dl it and the hdd space needed for ripping to it then burning later. havent tried the dual layer discs though it would be good
#

i have a gorgeous GF for all my needs hehe :D and if she found it on the pc id be castrated diced and quarterd and feed to the dogs