1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The power of vitamin D

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by twilyth, Jul 24, 2011.

1. twilyth Guest

This is an excellent article in an excellent publication (Science News).

It catalogs the current controversy about the amount of D we need in our diets (or from sun exposure) and lists the huge number of bodily functions that it is critical for.

Here is just a sampling.

Try to read the whole article if you're at all interested. I guarantee you will be amazed.

The infection fighting ability was discovered inadvertently a century ago when doctors treated tuberculosis patients with rest in the sun. Except no one understood why the cure worked. Now we do.
  2. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, this topic is really important for us basement dwellers :D

I hardly go out that's why my bones and especially my back hurts me sometimes.

I try to stay outside for 5 minutes every day at 2:00 PM but man the sun here is really scorching, it's like sitting with a massive hair dryer on your whole body, you can literally feel your skin tightening :D
  3. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Same. except that with the insane prices on the electricity down here, no one dares to leave an AC unit turned on the entire day. Doubt any one here has a vit D deficiency. Hell, I think I'm OD'ed :eek:
  4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I thought vitamin D is a fundamental component of DNA synthesis?

EDIT: nope just remembered that that is B6.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. twilyth Guest

That's part of the problem with the huge divergence in opinion. One group that sets the standard for minimum daily allotment (Institute of Medicine, IOM) thinks that raising it from 200IU's to 600IU's is adequate but the Endocrine Society thinks it should be 1500-2000IU's. Part of the reason is that the amount people get from sun exposure varies tremendously.

I get burned too easily so I'm content to take the supplement. At 400IU's per day, I was way, way under the lower end of the normal range. Now I'm on 1000IU and I have to get tested again, but this is the first year I didn't get sick over the winter - I had gotten sick every single year for at least a decade before that. So I'm a believer.
  6. Thatguy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find the prevelance of immuno disease higher in countrys with high infant vaccination rates. is this a wierd statistic ?
  7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been taking 2000IIU's a day for about 9 months now and I haven't been sick, I didn't even have any seasonal allergies this year, plus I have more energy and don't feel run down as often. I really don't get a lot of sun either.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    interesting stuff
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I have allergic reactions when I have too much vitamin D. It's especially bad in the sunlight. I get pretty severe Eczema and hives if I'm out in the sun for more than 30 minutes or so. I'm fine when I drink things like milk tho. I only drink it in my coffee, so maybe the dose is low enough? Who knows?
  10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    go outside. novel idea...
    v12dock says thanks.
  11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any parathyroid problems or bone breakages? Just out of curiosity
  12. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you use skin protection, i get burnt in even light sun and also i get headaches ect from the heat. Also you can take too much vitamin D but its unlikely to get too much from direct sunlight.

I know dark skinned people need a lot of sun light to get vitamin D, a family member works in the bio chem lab offices here and sees all the records and most of the time you see Asians with vitamin D deficiency because they cant get enough from the sun here.

Something to do with melanin and skin tone, i am pale because i need to be to take in more vitamin D from the sun because of a lack of sunlight in Scotland. Thats why in like Nigeria the people are mostly very dark skinned its like a natural form of skin protection. Pigmentation is determined by melanin, everybody knows this though or should i imagine.

I knew vitamin D was beneficial but its interesting to see that they say people get sick in winter due to lack vitamin D through sunlight.
  13. Respect2Glory

Respect2Glory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I believe it's important to get at least 15 minutes of sun a day. I don't think it matters when and we should avoid the hottest part of the day especially during hot days. Also, don't forget to stay hydrated, and avoiding alcohol and caffeine.
  14. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    It's ideas like this that are keeping our country obese and lazy. Only 15 minutes outside? Really? I remember being outside all day during hot California summers and having no ill effects past being tired and dirty. Now we're trying to talk our kids into going outside for an hour a day with commercials with football players. Fifteen minutes is chump change.
  15. twilyth Guest

I think the point was for sun exposure to produce vitamin D, not for general exercise or overall well-being. Anyway, you have to try to be nice to the new members. :slap: :D
  16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    That's most likely because they cover themselves up in accordance with their religion/culture.

Not trolling, it's a fact.
  17. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. I can spend all day outside. Or more than a whole day, depending on fireside entertainment. When I was a kid, I used to wake up at 5, and make sandwiches to bring on a hike. My friends and I would take the power lines across the next few towns, and then turn around and come home at about 8pm. We did that every day for summer vacation, for about 7 years in a row. Explored the woods of the entire county, mapped every trail in every zipcode.

I don't see kids outside anymore.
  18. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    why go outside when you can do it virtually in WoW ?:laugh:
  19. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Here in Taiwan they cover up because they don't want to be though of as labours.

source: http://uniorb.com/ATREND/asianwhite.html
    Mussels says thanks.
  20. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Come to my neighborhood in the summer. They're out there until 11PM. Of course this is partly because it's colder than a witch's tit around here 9 months a year.
  21. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    Several years ago we had grass fires here that caused real bad air quality. I developed a breathing problem that finally put me in the ER. I had a severe respiratory viral infection and pneumonia was mentioned. My primary physician saw the xrays and got me an appointment with an endocrinologist. She at first thought I had a calcium or thyroid problem but after a couple of blood tests it turns out that I had a vitamin D deficiency. So my trip to the ER got me help for muscle and back pains.

I started out taking a 50,000 IU capsule each week then one a month and now one every two weeks. I started out with blood tests every 3 months but now every 6 months. I do feel a lot better when I take these capsules every two weeks.
    Mussels says thanks.
  22. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    This is a serious subject and I apologize if I offend anybody but...

If I read between the lines, does this mean we should be seeing more topless women?

For health reasons of course :D
  23. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    I knew that you were supposed to take vitamin D if you use sun screen, just didn't know why, now I do, thanks a bunch.
  24. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    mmm I like fishes.
  25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not afaik on thyroid issues, but I haven't been tested. What would I be looking for in terms of symptoms? And no bone breakages that are out of the ordinary (aka: all bone breakages happened in situations where bone breaking would be an expected outcome).

Why, do you have ideas that will get me back out in the sun? lol