• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The quad or dual thread.. money for money..

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
On winrar, it depends on how they were compressed. I personally compress lots of files, and download lots of heavily compressed files and often see over 80% usage on my system (three cores maxed out, dribbles on the 4th)

THe reason is that lots of people choose 'store' in winrar, which is only a container file and does no compression at all. set it to maximum and you'll notice a lot smaller files (10-15% in most case for me) and a lot more CPU usage.

As yogurt mentioned too, ram and HDD can cripple it - if you're opening from say Drive C: and pasting it to drive C:. that means it goes .rar -> temp files -> destination, making three accesses on the same hard drive. That could easily choke the drive, causing you slower speeds (and thus lower CPU usage) Running out of ram does the same thing, as it does smaller tasks/has to wait for ram to be freed again.

This is another example of usage - your files dont need it, so it doesnt matter to you. My files do, so it does for me.

you are a very anti multicore person, but keep in mind that some of us do see benefits from it. Because you dont see it it may not be worth it to you, but try and emphasise that rather than generic statements about how multicore is a scam, it was forced upon us and no one needs it.

i dont say no one needs it mussels.. dont misquote me.. i say its wasted on the average user.. the average user dosnt need it.. the scam part is.. the average user is being told he does need it and will benefit from it....

read what i say before u make comment..

trog

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I need MORE POWAH MORE MORE MORE!...

what the average user needs is MORE cores, which are FASTER with MORE multithreaded software, and better power management. Oh... and SSD Raid set-ups, preferrably no less than 1TB in size. And a GFX card with a Socket like an MB so that you can upgrade the gpu at will, with GDDR4/5 ram slots so you can add more/faster memory when needed.

Fat clients FTW! to each his own supercomputer!

Then, i can have core 8 powering all the shiny, glassy graphics on my vista (go processlasso!) and cores 1-7 running all my apps in their full multithreaded glory @ 5GHz.

Btw, I put all of vista's services on one core using processorlasso's afinity changer, so now core 3 gets to deal with bloat, while cores 0-2 get to play with my apps uninterrupted.

all im saying is that my quad keeps me warm at night. Literally, I am warmer at night.

Last edited:
So what your saying is it is user dependent, only some users will need quad core and others will only need dual core cpu.

The average home user dosnt need quad core but some people who use 3d modelling or do heavy duty tasks like that might benefit.
At least servers have their own cpu that can be more than 4 core. Multiple sockets tho.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
it is user dependent, we're way past the point of beating a dead horse. We are now stomping on the stain in the ground where the dead horse used to be.

People being mislead as to what they need is a scam, trog is right there. But if youre being told what to buy by a saleperson and then you buy it just because they said so, then youre an idiot, and you will be scammed.

Arguing whether or not tha average user needs a quad is like arguing whether the average driver needs a truck. Some do, some dont, for [whatever] reasons.

Ultimately what it comes down to is computer literacy. If you know, and you make an educated decision based on your needs, then you cant go wrong. If you were told you needed a quad, and you bought one based solely because Intel/AMD/Best Buy said so... then you need to knee yourself in the face.

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
it is user dependent, we're way past the point of beating a dead horse. We are now stomping on the stain in the ground where the dead horse used to be.

People being mislead as to what they need is a scam, trog is right there. But if youre being told what to buy by a saleperson and then you buy it just because they said so, then youre an idiot, and you will be scammed.

Arguing whether or not tha average user needs a quad is like arguing whether the average driver needs a truck. Some do, some dont, for [whatever] reasons.

Ultimately what it comes down to is computer literacy. If you know, and you make an educated decision based on your needs, then you cant go wrong. If you were told you needed a quad, and you bought one based solely because Intel/AMD/Best Buy said so... then you need to knee yourself in the face.

computer literacy is what this thread is about.. or should be.. the average user by your defintions is an "idiot".. he is computer illiterate.. he is at the mercy of the saleman or more accurately the internet review sites..

he dosnt need a knee in the face.. he needs some usefull information.. if he ignores this usefull information then perhaps some knee face contact might be appropriate.. he he

debate.. in between the fanboy i have one so it must be better stuff might provide some clues.. money for money dual or quad.. lets not forget its faster dual or slower quad.. intel dont give chips away for bugger all..

i will go back to my original post.. the quad version of my E8400 for example costs £640 UK pounds.. my dual version costs £140 UK pounds.. two cores at 3 gig or four cores at 3 gig..

i aint gonna try and say the £640 quad a aint better chip than the £140 dual.. of course it is.. that aint what the thread is about..

money for money.. quad at 2.4 gig as opposed to dual at 3 gig.. which will benefit the average user most.. and i recon we could all have a good guess at what the average user means.. he aint all that rare a beast..

lets also not forget there are many people who do actually read this place looking for information.. far more silent readers than vociferous posters..

trog

Last edited:
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
computer literacy is what this thread is about.. or should be.. the average user by your defintions is an "idiot".. he is computer illiterate.. he is at the mercy of the saleman or more accurately the internet review sites..

he dosnt need a knee in the face.. he needs some usefull information.. if he ignores this usefull information then perhaps some knee face contact might be appropriate.. he he
trog

good point. There is no doubt that a large chunk of reviews favor the quad based on multithreaded benchmarks, which are not representative of current reality.

There really should be an 'average guy' review site... you know when they go through like word processing, email, maybe some pr0n surfing and espn.com over the course of a day, and tell you the best system for the money.. including the power bill you have to foot to own one, in real guy terms...

As far as these chips go... if you were to give me a quad core q6600 and I had enough for a 19" monitor, or I could get a e8400 with a 20" monitor, i would take the e8400 with the 20" any day... because i think that extra inch of screen would affect me much more than the performance difference between those two processors...

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
how about the average gamer.. most of then seem to think they need a quad.. i could ask why do they think they need a quad.. ??

try this one.. some super cards and a super quad.. all drool over hardware and at least part of 2006 is optimized for the quad cpu..

pure core speed versus twice as many cores..

http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA_QuadSLI_with_the_ASUS_EN9800GX2/?page=3

my dual at a faster speed beats the lot of em.. how come ????

lets not demean the average user to much.. he he he..

but my two cpu cores and two grafics cards score higher in 2006 than the four cpu cores and quad grafix cards do in the above example.. two cores going faster can quite clearly out perform four cores going slower..

trog

ps.. there is some pretty expensive hardware being used in the above example.. he he he

Last edited:

ex_reven

how about the average gamer.. most of then seem to think they need a quad.. i could ask why do they think they need a quad.. ??

try this one.. some super cards and a super quad.. all drool over hardware and at least part of 2006 is optimized for the quad cpu..

pure core speed versus twice as many cores..

http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA_QuadSLI_with_the_ASUS_EN9800GX2/?page=3

my dual at a faster speed beats the lot of em.. how come ????

lets not demean the average user to much.. he he he..

but my two cpu cores and two grafics cards score higher in 2006 than the four cpu cores and quad grafix cards do in the above example.. two cores going faster can quite clearly out perform four cores going slower..

trog

...gamers who buy quads give me the shits lol

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Trog, you know my views on this subject so I aint gonna bore you or any other poor members with them again, however, I cannot disagree with your views/comments in post No1 but yet again I see that you do not mention multi-tasking, is that because you choose to ensure there is less debate in favour of a quad or because you do not beleive that multi-tasking is relevant to the argument? one thing is for sure, as you have said, there are not that many apps that are multithredded, even less games but everyone of us multi-tasks to a certain degree, granted some more than others but whether it's a dual core at 3gig or a quadcore at 2. whatever gig, if you have 4 or more apps open actually doing things at the same time, them things are gonna get done quicker with 4 cores (usually), that said........I am thinking of getting an E8500 unless there are some Q9550's on the shelves in the UK by the weekend! :rockout:

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i have mentioned multitasking tatty.. its a hard one not easy to prove or disprove.. i put it in the "any fool knows" category as yet..

i have ask for some kind of test ideas.. i honestly aint trying to avoid multitasking.. its a big part of what i refer to as the scam.. that and future proofing..

to me simply running windows is multitasking.. tons of services and junk is all being run at the same time.. i know i can play an mp3 and a divx movie plus all the other windows junk running and still bung off a slightly over 11 second super pi run with only two cores..

trog

edro

Processor Q9450
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120, Sunbeam 4 Port Rheobus fan controller, (7) 120mm case fans + 80mm
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) (5-5-5-15) (2.0V - 2.1V)
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 8600GTS PCI-e x16 256MB GDDR3
Storage (4) SAMSUNG HD753LJ 750gb on Areca ARC-1220 in RAID5 for data + another 250gb drive for OS & apps..
Display(s) Westinghouse L2410NM (1920x1200)
Case CoolerMaster cm690
Power Supply SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT
Software XP Pro 32bit dual boot OpenSUSE Linux
One person wrote early on "this is getting boring." I guess it’s not so boring. It is now 4 pages and still the conversation is hot.

Another person wrote "this is a useless thread." I don’t think so. A lot of opinions have been expressed. It is possible that some opinions are merely speculation but I suspect that the majority of the opinions come out of people’s experiences and that is interesting to me. It adds more perspective even if I disagree with them. Thus this is an informative thread.

There are some problems, I think. One is that people don’t always hear what another person is trying to say. Perhaps some things could have been said more clearly but usually it seems that certain points were overlooked and thus a reply might miss the mark of addressing what was said.

Another thing, and this is difficult for me to determine, is that sometimes it appears that people are speaking without respect for another person. No matter how much I disagree with someone’s opinion I can still treat them with respect.

Just wait until you have adult children and they decide to do things differently that you taught them to do. What am I going to do? Put them over my knee? Of course not! I love my adult children and in fact have learned much from them myself. I guess I’m not always right.

Well, this was off subject. I’d weigh in on this topic but I’m afraid that I’m not an average user and I’m also not sure that I could defend my position since I’m really not sure about what my new build can do for me.

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
Trog, you know my views on this subject so I aint gonna bore you or any other poor members with them again, however, I cannot disagree with your views/comments in post No1 but yet again I see that you do not mention multi-tasking, is that because you choose to ensure there is less debate in favour of a quad or because you do not beleive that multi-tasking is relevant to the argument? one thing is for sure, as you have said, there are not that many apps that are multithredded, even less games but everyone of us multi-tasks to a certain degree, granted some more than others but whether it's a dual core at 3gig or a quadcore at 2. whatever gig, if you have 4 or more apps open actually doing things at the same time, them things are gonna get done quicker with 4 cores (usually), that said........I am thinking of getting an E8500 unless there are some Q9550's on the shelves in the UK by the weekend! :rockout:

you bastard I cannot find one and they are all over europe :) :rockout:

edro

Processor Q9450
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Formula
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120, Sunbeam 4 Port Rheobus fan controller, (7) 120mm case fans + 80mm
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) (5-5-5-15) (2.0V - 2.1V)
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce 8600GTS PCI-e x16 256MB GDDR3
Storage (4) SAMSUNG HD753LJ 750gb on Areca ARC-1220 in RAID5 for data + another 250gb drive for OS & apps..
Display(s) Westinghouse L2410NM (1920x1200)
Case CoolerMaster cm690
Power Supply SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT
Software XP Pro 32bit dual boot OpenSUSE Linux
Not an average user

I'm going for the quad but I'm not an average user.

Right now I use 3 computers via VNC to do all my tasks. One PC is mostly for rendering, another is a combo super tivo (3 recorders) and doubles as a HTPC, also some other menial tasks. Last, my “thin client” which accesses both those machines, sets up for the editing/encoding/rendering and spins it off to my workhorse.

What I’m planning to do is to replace my “thin client” with a “super duty” which will make video editing much faster, I can spin off the render/encoder job and start on another one, or watch a movie, also my new build would be the media server for other home users.

To do this I will have a hardware RAID 5 array (4x750gb) plus a 250gb for OS and apps all running on a quad core.

1. I should be able to retire my old workhorse (Athlon 64 3000+) which I often max out at 100% for most of a day (or even days) to encode a large job.

2. I can get rid of this “thin client” (5 year old P4 2.2ghz notebook) and start using a monster video editing machine (the new quad build).

3. I will still keep the dedicated recorder PC but will be able to add another recording card or 2 (eg. Hauppauge MCE 150) since I won’t need it as a HTPC anymore.

Thus I’ll be replacing 2 heat generating computers with 1 and have better control over things, I think..

It is a plan. Even if it doesn’t work out the way I hope there won’t be any real loss. I’ll have a quad core PC. I can always go back to using the recorder PC to double as a HTPC (switch monitors around). But I suspect that I'll be able to encode one job while in another software instance I will be editing video (editing is CPU intensive since it "half encodes" as I edit), also serve up media to others, and check on email.. Hopefully all without having to wait. :D

Oh, and since I'm getting a penryn I'll have the 47 instructions from the SSE4.1 subset. Hopefully my video editing software will catch up soon. Due to personal limitations I won't build again until maybe 4 or more likely 5 years from now so this one has gotta last. The next gen socket isn't here yet and so this is the last 775, again, I want to make it last. Is that future proofing? I really don't know what that means. I just can't afford another build anytime soon. This is it. :ohwell: (fixed income ya know. I budgeted for this build and went $400 over since I wasn't planning on a hardware RAID.)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I can't believe this thread hasn't died yet! For some people a dual core is faster, for some people a quad core is faster. I can't see myself getting a quad core unless I get a good video card for my birthday and I can't think of anything for Christmas and my parents bug me about it "you have to get something" so throw in a Phenom I guess =/

VroomBang

System Name Computer
Processor Wolfdale E8400 stock
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 FSB 1600MHz
Cooling CPU Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - front stock 12cm - rear Xig XSF-F1251 12cm - side Tacens Aura Pro 12cm
Memory Mushkin Redline DDR2 1000MHz 2x2GB 4-4-4-12 @1.8V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB stock
Storage SATA2 Seagate 500MB + IDE WesternDigital 500MB
Display(s) Samsung 19" LCD SyncMaster 193v
Case Jeantech NJX ATX gaming tower case
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Jeantech 600W Arctic Modular JN-600-AP (dual 19a +12v rails )
Software Win XP SP3
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06: 9906 / Super Pi 1M: 15.641 s
Well I was tempted to buy a Q6600...but in the end decided against it and went with an E8400. Why? Well 2 reasons.

Firstly, I'm a gamer and none of the games I play use 2 cores properly, let alone 4.

And second, I want energy efficiency as well as a huge overclock. Neither of these can be achieved on a quad, and the latter, only with exotic cooling which I won't be spending my money on.

I paid £135 for my E8400 (not including £8 shipping) and I don't regret my decision, just need to wait for it to arrive tuesday :D

I'd be curious to know about your impressions when you get the E8400 and start gaming with it. I still haven't decided between Q6xxx or E8xxx. I don't multitask much. I just want the computer to be fast when launching and runing an application or a game. I guess the E8xxx makes sense, but I can't help thinking that new games will be coded to use quads, e.g. one core for the AI, one for the physics etc. But if this doesn't happen soon, there's no point in buying a quad now unless I start multitasking a lot, which I doubt.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I'd be curious to know about your impressions when you get the E8400 and start gaming with it. I still haven't decided between Q6xxx or E8xxx. I don't multitask much. I just want the computer to be fast when launching and runing an application or a game. I guess the E8xxx makes sense, but I can't help thinking that new games will be coded to use quads, e.g. one core for the AI, one for the physics etc. But if this doesn't happen soon, there's no point in buying a quad now unless I start multitasking a lot, which I doubt.

if you arent upgrading the CPU anytime soon, the quad is a safe bet - the moreso if you cant OC beyond 400 FSB on your mobo (same MHz in the end)

If your ram/mobo will get you past 450 or so (900MHz ram and up) then you might as well grab an e8400.

Currently i feel that we're video card limited, my mini rig at 3.2GHz feels just as fast as my 3.6GHz main system, and most apps dont use all four cores - maybe 2-3x a week do i actually run into a situation where i need/use a quad core (winrar, encoding, supreme commander)

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
:laugh: makes a pleasant change!

It's because the freaking Euro is so damn high in value. Intel wants that currency . I got that from a giant companys CEO who sell Cpu to the US gov. They can hardly get cpus. Thats why the USA can hardly get a Cpu.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Gaming? A small increase at 3Ghz (same speed as my old E4400 overclocked), but not that much, but I never intended to leave it at stock. My E4400 would never go above 3Ghz stably, which is why I replaced it.

I don't encode, and the only game that properly uses more than 2 cores is SupCom which I don't play, and Alan Wake which isn't here yet.

I'm with trog in thinking this dual/quad stuff is a myth, for most people. It's not necessary, BUT it does speed up encoding and stuff specifically designed for it, which is few and far between, especially in the gaming world.

I just want 4Ghz :p

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
If it's useful to someone, it can't be a myth/scam.

Saying multi-core is a scam/myth is every bit as bad as saying that a quad is better for everyone.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm with trog in thinking this dual/quad stuff is not useful for most people. It's not necessary, BUT it does speed up encoding and stuff specifically designed for it, which is few and far between, especially in the gaming world.

Fixed.

Urgh, I've only been up for like 10 minutes, gimme a break :p

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Fixed.

Urgh, I've only been up for like 10 minutes, gimme a break :p

lol. It's ok. You just triggered it, it was more a comment made in a general sense. :toast:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
It's because the freaking Euro is so damn high in value. Intel wants that currency . I got that from a giant companys CEO who sell Cpu to the US gov. They can hardly get cpus. Thats why the USA can hardly get a Cpu.

Well we dont play with the Euro (Mickey Mouse money :))but I know it's pretty strong at the moment against the $ but the £ has been strong for ages now but we dont seem to see any benefit from it at all.

VroomBang

System Name Computer
Cooling CPU Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - front stock 12cm - rear Xig XSF-F1251 12cm - side Tacens Aura Pro 12cm
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win XP SP3
Well we dont play with the Euro (Mickey Mouse money :))but I know it's pretty strong at the moment against the $ but the £ has been strong for ages now but we dont seem to see any benefit from it at all.

the other side of the story is we get to pay a premium in Euroland to get those CPU's. As an example, a Q6600 costs €185 (= $292), against $254 in the US, i.e. 15% more

VroomBang

System Name Computer
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win XP SP3

Make the most of your poundies before you end up switching to euros soon! :)