1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Kast says thanks.
  2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
  3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    OK, installed the game, had dinner with my family, gave my son a bath, read a book to him, put him to sleep, and was so excited to finally fire the game on my rig....

Only to find out it's utterly unplayable on 3-way SLI! massive lag, GPU usage across all 3 cards constantly jumps from 5% to 75% every microsecond!, tried both on surround and a single monitor, same results...

Activated single card use, loaded the game, massive improvement! the menus are fluid, this can't be so bad after all, all I need to do is wait for an SLI profile, right? Time to play me some Rage!!

Wrong!!! :nutkick: Gameplay is fluid, but I have textures loading every time I turn my point of view! Jesus! This can't be right? I waited all this time for this??? :banghead:

All right, I'm turning everything off, tomorrow is a new day, will wait for a new driver, patch, whatever!

Sorry guys, just had to vent my frustration... :( :wtf:

4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Geez hope this gets sorted out. I was getting rage. Guess not now. Oh well at least Skyrim comes out in little over a month.

5. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    now my problem is it likes to freeze when loading. They really need to fix this soon. *EDIT* It is zone freezing I Cant get past the Mutant TV Mission, it freezes after I beat it and try to go up the elevator.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  6. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Quick update: I'm pretty sure this has been posted before on this thread, and I'm a dumbass for not reading all of it, but this may help other ppl who just joined us and have Nvidia cards:

I googled for a fix to my problems, downloaded the beta drivers 285.38 here, opened the update tab in the driver control panel, and it automatically downloaded a new SLI profile for the game.

Needless to say, all three GPUs are running, barely hitting 35~40% usage, and the game is smooth as silk, I'm as happy as can be :rockout:

The game has pretty impressive visuals, but the textures are very low res. up close :ohwell: Well, as I said, chances are this fix has already been posted, but I hope ppl who just started reading this thread find this post useful, I'm off to play Rage! :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  7. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Apparently AMD have re-released the RAGE driver...

Download it 'ere.

I'll be interested to see how this one performs.

8. Kast

Thanks Received:
  9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    so we have a positive on the latest amd driver hotfix?if so,glad to hear that,

good work gents,thanx for posting,im about 8 hrs away from when it will be rteady to install in aus,thank god i dont have to download off of steam,haha,got discs,

10. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the point. Production of PC games/engines should start on uber PCs, because in just 3 years that kind of power will become mainstream and in 5 (when the game is released) it will be almost obsolete.

He bought the hype of "next-gen" consoles (because the specs were better than the PCs they had at office at the time) and thought that would be the standard for a long time, when in reality they were nearly obsolete by the time they were released. There's many software guys who think that hardware development will slow down at some point, admitely a huge mistake for someone in his potition.

But that's maybe Carmack's problem, he is so focused on his jobs and research, that I don't know if he trully followed the hardware side of things too closely. Probably has someone else researching future hardware trends and this person probably thinks like most others seem to think in the industry: it seems that everybody decided that widening their install base, by doing games run on mainstream hardware would be the best bet, completely forgetting that it's entusiasts who really pay for their games.

He realized all that and is willing to fix it for future games, so for me there is hope. I always knew Rage was a console game, I mean, the first time I heard the name Rage, in a 2005 or 2006 interview where they were asked about the future of the company, they specifically said that in parallel to their known franchises Doom and Quake, they were going to make a new franchise for consoles (only), kind of like Epic had created Gears of War for consoles. Of course they realized that multi-platform is the way to go and released it for PC too, but this came probably late in the development cycle, there was no turning back.

11. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
  12. Pandora's Box

Thanks Received:
  13. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ~25fps on my computer with 800x600 res and no aa....sigh :shadedshu

14. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    my gtx 260 apparently completely obliterates this game, the gpu usage is low to the point where it'd probably be over 100 fps almost always at none / 2x aa... and i wish it could since i have a 120hz monitor.

since it's capped at 60 i just left it on 8x and it's still never once dipped under. texture pop in is very minimal.

15. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's after applying all thse fixes that are floating around or without any tweaking?

If it's going strong on a GTX260 it sure should go 3x times better on faster cards.

I wonder if newest cards, DX11 cards, have been improved for OpenGL at all. Maybe all the problems are due to lack of a proper OpenGL implementation in newer cards.

16. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Ehhh, It helps alittle but not fully. I am not getting zone freezing like no other. I also have a weird fuzzy line in the middle of my screen after installing the "new" hotfix drivers. I am throwing this on the shelf until they fix this. This is unacceptable.

mediasorcerer says thanks.
  17. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    On my GTX 470 it's still capped at 60 frames and texture pop in is also minimal, this is without any tweaks or fixes.

I'm guessing the game auto configures itself on peoples PC's in order to stay on 60 FPS consistently.

18. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    This game is making me RAGE.

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I played for a few hours last night with no issue.

I use:

Fixed AMD Catalyst Drivers for RAGE.
    Made the cache folders in APPDATA-> Local

Use these settings in CCC:
    AA: Enhance AA
    Morphological AA: Enabled.
    Texture Quality: Highest setting
    Vsync: Always on
    OpenGL triple buffering: box checked.
    AA mode: SuperSampling

20. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mess around with the CCC settings. I am getting zone freezing though. I think that is more of a game issue than anything else, I could be wrong. I will try this later. I made the cache folders and posted a link on here how to do it for those that don't know.

21. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
  22. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
  23. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    i don't have the gpu transcode menu .. did i need to install software for use it? or is useless ? anyone know?is this help to get rid of...

i hate popping textures fcking bethesda without advance graphic option...

24. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the link in uuuaaaaaa's post. GPU Transcode is only for Nvidia 400 and 500 series.

laszlo says thanks.
  25. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    The GPU transcoding option is only for Nvidia cards apparently. (I'm playing Rage on an Nvidia card, and the GPU transcoding option is in the graphics settings options)

laszlo says thanks.