1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    i used the "maxed out cfg" after the update.

2. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    I gotta say, I am extremely disappointed in the graphics of this game. Half Life 2 (which is how many years old now?) looks basically as good.

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Don't agree with that, HL2 looks great if you mod it, but still probably not as good.

digibucc says thanks.
  4. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basically as good, but the fact that it is even relatively comparable is ridiculous.

5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    no, you're still pushing it imo. it doesn't look basically as good, or relatively as good. it looks nowhere near as good. when is the last time you played hl2? even with the hi res texture packs it is nowhere near as detailed as Rage.

my only complaint on the art is the color. i liked dead brown wasteland and all (fallout is great) but it's more like a sepia tint over the whole game. i don't like the colors but the graphical fidelity is in no way comparable to hl2 except by saying "much better"

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  6. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Did it magically improve anything?

I agree with digibucc and Kurgan; Rage looks far better than HL2. Story and gameplay wise it reminds me of HL2 massively but aesthetically... no, not at all.

7. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    If youve known the limitations of such an early engine, its that it cant render a huge map in such a detail like in rage in one go (one loading). UE3 / Cryengine / Frostbyte can render huge estate, but at the cost of detail / framerate. Rage achieved this, while maintainaning rich polygonal detail, massive amounts of textures, and good framerates. Get off that vehicle and start walking through the whole expanse of the wasteland, youd feel how big it is.

Heck if youve done through the wasted radiotower teritory, (near the outrigger settlement) youd feel its a separate loaded instance... but its not. Its all still part of that huge landmass that you travel upon first thing you went off the ark.. and still it was chok full of details like actual polygon meshes of wires, tubes etc. Something that you wont see like in borderlands where they would just cheat it and just make textures on flat surfaces depicting tubes and vents.

A good action packed game imo and a superb piece of game engine that I'd like to see implemented in other titles as well. ( CoD9 perhaps :D )

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  8. Xorgetra

Xorgetra

Thanks Received:
    OMG WHAT A CRAPPY GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF did they do ? , in SLI of GTX480 runs very ugly , even with newest patch's , WTH? . I just deleted this game right now ...

9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    All a post like that is going to get is a bunch of flaming !!!11!!....

Anyways, I haven't heard of anyone having performance issues since the patch. I don't know if NV released new drivers, I know AMD did and with those and the new patch my single 6950 does great and sounds like the game is running great for everyone else as well.

10. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been silent on this thread thou have checked it thru the weeks. Since the game is live and I've played up till almost the end there's something's I've got the say. (edit) After writing this I've realized I've got a rank coming..so prepare.

From everything I've read up till launch and the state of game was looking good JC was hyping it up and really making it sound like it would be the next best thing. I never followed him or even knew the name till the muckup of this release. since I've watched several videos of him talking on the technical aspects of everything going on "under the hood" as you played. His claims sounded great! Add in the fact that the videos were excellent with crisp textures - great showing of the engine. The video of the 1st Dead City mission is what 1st got me interested. Plus when I realized this was the same dev that did Doom3 I got excited. A quick history. I never fully explored Doom back in the day so Id wasn't on my radar till D3 was released. And I loved it. So back to point I was excited...plus a friend on steam gifted me the preorder thinking that b/c I'm a fallout fan I'd like his romp in the wasteland...

...well I've been hot & cold on it. When the game released I had already preloaded it and had a couple days off work to check it out. 1st thing I noticed was the muddy textures & the texture popin. I actually thought @ 1st my eyes were playing tricks on me but nope..it was a bad experience. Now this is on a 2600k with gtx 580s slied so the game ran great other then the bad textures and popin. I could over look the textures due to who really just stands and looks @ the textures? plus from far away they do look pretty good.

Some other things I noticed was no dynamic shadows. or even a player shadow. This is 2011 and yet this game has a skybox? Also sure it does look good but with how the textures are..the closer you get..the worse they are. Alright so thinking back on the videos I saw prior to release I started feeling a bait & switch here. Thankfully per some user made config files I was able to lessen the texture popins and if I didn't just stand still and review the textures it wasn't that noticeable...for the most part.

The multiplayer is actually pretty fun jamming about in ur car blasting away or racing. That I've come to really like. I'm near the end of the game and seem to have lost interest in it..the reason why...the patch was released and totally killed any improvements the user made config files gave!!!! It's almost like JC was upset that a gamer fixed the game he spent so long on and that maybe..just maybe someone could do something it seems he can't..fix the end product. Which speaking of JC I've started watching some more videos of the man and I can't help but pick up a sense of ego from him. So long on a game and in the end the release was crap. Then id blames drivers..amd/nvidia..etc but can't take the ball on themselves...and then they release a update that further breaks the game!

Now from some comments I've read he's saying pcs are not id's focus anymore? Just last week he was saying that he's remorseful that they didn't focus on pcs when building the game & how much more you can do with pcs and how they want to focus there. This guy is all over the place. It really does seem that pc gaming has passed him up and he's trying to live on past success. Which don't get me wrong..good success it was..but still..dude..move on and get over yourself!!!!

So ..rant over..thou it wasn't even started @ being a rant lol

Rage Failures -

1/ Textures (where is that hyped texture pack you guys talked about anyway)
    2/ No dynamic lighting
    3/ Texture popin
    4/ Skyboxes - seriously
    5/ Flat missions and not alot of depth
    6/ Whereas that 64bit version of the game that id said "would be out within days of release" - same thing they said about the hd texture pack btw.

Also..those game play videos they showed prior to release. There is & has been no user screen shots I've seen that looks anywhere near as good so it's a pure bait & switch due to JC needing the ego boost.

Multiplayer is fun thou & there is still a lot of room for improvement here. All in all I do like the game..just keep going hot & cold over it. Theres sooooo much to like..but they cut sooooo many corners to get there & to have JC @ the helm touting it is just laughable.

But what do I know..just some random dude on the internet.

Breathless and INSTG8R say thanks.
  11. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    The only people still complaining after the newest drivers and patch are people who are too dumb to be using PCs to begin with.

Sell your rig and get an Xbox or PS3.

@MainframeTM
    HD textures are in the pipeline, along with the modding tools. Maybe 64 bit is coming too.
    Skyboxes? Who cares, not a gamebreaker.
    Texture popping is fixed for most folk. There have been dozens of posts explaining the minor tweaks needed to eliminate them if the patch and newest drivers didn't.
    It's an id game, they are more about the pew pew than storytelling.

mediasorcerer and crazyeyesreaper say thanks.
  12. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    hey techtard maybe you should read a bit better hmm?

amd fixed there issues with a newer driver.

Nvidia has not at least not to my knowledge the guy above you is running 580 sli

so maybe the correct douchebag post would be fore the user to sell his 580s and buy 2x 6970s instead lol

mediasorcerer, digibucc and techtard say thanks.
  13. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow seriously?

And also a prior post was about how HL2 looks better then Rage - I'd say Doom3 looks better as well. With the HL2 post I think it's more a sense of immersion that makes it work better. Not quite look better..but easily on par with it..but you get sucked into the world with it. Rage..doesn't have that.

14. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Rage looks way better than HL2.
    Someone's PC must still be using the auto detect settings in game and are detecting an ultra low

HL2 is basically the seminal story telling PC game of the past decade.
    I'll give you that it kills RAGE storytelling and immersion wise.

@crazyeyes
    Didn't know nVidia was having troubles still. Last I checked, the nV fanboys were ridiculing us Radeon users becasue GPU transcoding tamed their texture pop-in. This was before the AMD driver updates and patch.

It's crazy that modern games sometimes still have problems with multi-gpu from both camps.

15. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thankfully my pc isn't auto dectecting the settings. It tried that when I 1st started the game but got rid of that quickly. Auto detect is baaaaad.

Also from my experience with the recent patch it's almost as if id went from amd issues..corrected those & suddenly you started seeing some more issues pop up with invidia users. It almost seems like a horrible balancing acct their dealing between the two.

The immersion factor is what makes hl2 look better. B/c ur so into it you overlook the graphics and am able to fully enjoy yourself is my point.

16. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well for me the only issue I have had even pre or post patch is a massive PAUSE when moving between areas. I tried many configs posted by users but now the only fix that has actually worked has been using job_threads 4. I am not even running a config anymore but unless I have that in the launch options I get the nasty freezes.
    I am not really overly bothered by the low textures when your in a big expansive space the game looks great maxed out with the current post patch settings. Until you get up close to something you can really see how crappy the textures are, but they are pretty bad even using Large for the Cache(which I assume is the 8k) Tho even running the simple NV advised config it looks the same to me either way so I just deleted the config and just added the job_thread command to my launcher.

17. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I realize that's an opinion but i have to say it is absolutely wrong. half life 2 is closer than doom 3 was.

screenshots:
    RAGE
    http://www.ragethegame.com/wp-content/gallery/rage-game-screenshots/rage-xbox360-screenshot-3.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-37fvGkmp9fw/ThVbbwqf3LI/AAAAAAAACdg/5a2vwGw93Jc/s1600/20091003_rage_01.jpg
    http://www.ragethegame.com/wp-content/gallery/rage-game-screenshots/image_rage-12131-1716_0009.jpg
    http://www.ragethegame.com/wp-content/gallery/rage-game-screenshots/1303136424_8993.jpg
    HL:2
    http://uppix.net/f/0/9/69928f4b2b77ddcda1fc9eaef64cd.jpg
    http://www.fohguild.org/forums/atta...-half-life-2-orange-box-20070521064838264.jpg
    http://www.helloclan.eu/images/reviews/images/half-life-2b.jpg
    http://img3.sector.sk/files/novinky/2004511102/2.jpg
    Doom 3
    http://download24.com/data/gallery/1156262084.jpg
    http://vglounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/doom33.jpg
    http://www.flaterco.com/kb/DOOM/ClassicDOOM3_1.0.png
    http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/original/2004/05/doom3_screen001.jpg

look at the texture detail. look at the clarity of the scene. look how polygonal doom looks and how littered hl looks. they were both great games i enjoyed (and still are great, hl moreso :)) but the graphics simply can not be considered equal or relatively comparable using any sort of defined constant. if it feels like it looks better, but you can't explain why, that's not good enough imo.

also, as was noted: the big deal with rage's graphics is the detail + immensity of it. it is a huge open world with no load time between areas. most doors yes but the wasteland itself is huge. hl:2 and doom 3 could never have done that.

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  18. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's the drawback of Megatextures. At distances and for world terrain they look awesome. You get too close, and they look like old school original Xbox textures.

If they release the 'real' HD textures, it should fix that. I shudder to imaginw how big that download will be. People with low monthly bandwidth will cry.

Also, John Carmack just built the engine and game tech for RAGE.
    id has a new team who worked on RAGE, not the wizards who do Doom and Quake.

Sounds like they are getting on the job training. Kinda like AMDs driver team. They have awesome toys to play with, but don't know what they're doing.

EDIT now that I think about it, maybe the tech in the RAGE engine could make an awesome MMO game. Awesome looking world detail at a low resource hit.
    Plus, they'd have all of the kinks worked out by the time they license it out.

19. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    It almost looks like you took the worst D3 screens possible (not accusing). One is from a Doom1 reconversion, not Doom3, another one labelled doom33 is clearly on low(er) detail, compare it to the first one, mainly the shotgun model. All in all I'd say all of the Doom3 screenshots you posted are not on the Ultra setting. I played Doom3 last year again, It looked waaaaay better that those screens.

Technically (graphics wise) D3 was superior to HL2, by a long shot, but Valve did create a better atmosphere which trully adds to the sensation of better graphics, not to mention the variety.

20. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    HL2 proved that story and gameplay matter more than state of the art graphics.
    It doesn't hurt that the game looked good back in the day, and still holds its own.

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    imho its a shame you cant send crack in the post cos id def have some of what youve had, both them games are weak graphically compared to rage and i mean on mass not a few small rooms ill allow even scene designers to have a bad day

More than 25k PPD
  22. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i really did not do that on purpose, i set google image to large size and picked the ones that showed different lighting, textures, etc.

but through the res the polygonal structure still looks obvious to me. get the best screens to compare and i'll replace my links, and i still would stand by my argument.

ultra detail, high res:
    http://www.stageselect.com/images/articles/doom3comparison/bigdifference.jpg
    look at that pistol, is there really ANY argument to be made for detail?
    http://snipershide.us/images/remotes/doom3/d3_1600_1200_ultra.png
    the entire scene is smooth. great, but again: detail. where is the texture?
    http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/doom3-2/uhigh-1.png

23. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dare say that Halflife 2's textures UP CLOSE look better than Rage's. Rage's up close textures on maximum detail are vomit worthy at this stage in the game.... Like "What the french, toast?"

I mean, I really want to like them, but its distracting. At the very least, they (the textures) are TERRIBLY inconsistent as far as detail is concerned.

24. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:
    i also thought 1st time that the game is not optimized for pc but guess what;is not the producer/developer fault if we faced problems so i must apologize for what i wrote before about them...

i quote from other place....

" What actually happened is this:

John Carmack is a really smart graphics programmer. He's so smart, in fact, that he realized that nVidia's and AMD's OpenGL drivers were horribly out of date. OpenGL releases a new white paper every once a year or so and driver vendors are expected to keep up by implementing new features and extensions. nVidia and AMD (especially AMD) let their drivers grow stale since so few games use OpenGL. As a result, Carmack was forced to implement his own drivers so that his team could complete Rage. The understanding Carmack had with GPU makers is that the vendor drivers would be updated and introduced before Rage was released to the market. Now, Rage comes to be released and - surprise, surprise - the drivers still aren't ready. This hasn't been so much of a problem for nVidia, but it's been a huge problem with AMD, who typically is known for crap driver implementations. So now Carmack realized his mistake and is implementing workarounds for the lacking drivers. "

this was the problem not else...ty AMD for not updating gl drivers...

25. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't meant you did it on purpose, and I don't really want to make this a HL2 vs D3 argument. I'll post a few screens which better show D3's graphics, but the superiority of D3 was on the shaders, ilumination and shadows none of which can be captured on screenshots. When it comes to textures probably Hl2 was better, I can't remember if that was the case, since the last time(s) I have played Hl2 or expansions I used Cinematic Mod 10, and then yes D3 is definitely creamed by CM10, because it also adds some real time lighting that adds a lot graphics wise.

Like I said I don't want to start or continue an argument, but here are some screens which I think do D3 a little more justice, still not as much as the real thing in real time tho (just googled them too):

http://www.info-mods.com/medias/albums/Doom3/Revenant_LostSoul.jpg
    http://download.gameblog.fr/images/jeux/1287/Doom3_PC_Editeur_004.jpg
    http://www.zzdesk.cn/d/0/6/105/2006110906264223203.jpg
    http://www.doomworld.com/shots/doom3_043003/doom3_screen001.jpg

digibucc says thanks.