1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    really?
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RewTIzKDS...KVyHngSk/s1600/hl2_2008-03-18_21-26-21-05.jpg

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/original/2009/08/rage_6.jpg

admittedly not as close as close, but it's actually difficult find screenshots. if you find comparable to show i'm wrong i'll flip in a heartbeat - but i don't see what you are talking about.

and second - i for one don't spend the game staring at textures up close. i play it, which is where rage's graphics are obviously better. running through a building, driving through the desert - it looks better with rage. you may be right in that some rocks and signs, etc may look comparable or even better close up - but again, if you are staring at walls the whole game i don't think you are doing it right.

and just wait, there will be a hi res pack and then i'll be TOTALLY right :)

@bene i know you weren't. just clarifying :)
    but if we are considering hi res packs that came out months or YEARS after release(3rd party no less), lets wait for Rage's and make a fair argument. and those screenshots highlight shadows and lights - and look better, but i still say no contest in detail and fidelity.
  2. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    i don't know what it did improve but it looks better.
    give it a try and see for yourself!
  3. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I did and didn't notice any difference aesthetically nor performance.
  4. Pandora's Box

Thanks Received:

[​IMG]
  5. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:

what? so what do you think is a good game then??

i think they did a great job,it has some drawbacks but what game doesnt,is this all you came here to say?

go back to plants and zombies then.
  6. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    The maximum config definitely improves distant textures and a fov change actually sharpens up things as well. I'm mighty impressed, my rig with a little old HD 5770 @ 1680x1050 handles this game with the maximum config and 8xAA beautifully.....so smooth. I have to agree that ground textures up close and certain other items look like pap.

I'm going to start the game properly today now that I know performance is uber smooth.
  8. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    I just finished the game. I`m soooo disappointed. Graphics disgraceful. Story, what story there is no story. The main character has no brains and has nothing better to do so he does what is told by whoever he meets. Ending, I mean common they could do better than 500 jumping monkeys.
    Before the game was released all that John Carmack talk about was High res textures, the story and how much the game was polished. The game is all but but that. I know that developers lie but this is too much.
    THIS IS UNFINISHED GAME NOTHING MORE.
  9. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Graphics are awesome by most people's standards. Those that have the game configured properly, that is.

It feels like the ending is that way because Zenimax cut the game up into DLC before the game was released. We'll see in the near future.
    That's just a suspicion of mine, maybe I'm just paranoid.

It was pretty short for a 21gig download and $60.
  10. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    "Graphics are awesome by most people's standards" - You have been smoking panties again?

I will admit the overall view from a distance is very nice, but up close the textures and models are in many cases VERY sub standard for a 20 EFFING GIGABYTE game.

The valleys are just flat jpeg's for goodness sake! Do they think we cant see that? Anyway - I wont call the GFX bad.. I'll just say that when a game is 20 GOW-DAMN GIGS... They should have had a bit of room for textures & models.

Edit :

Just a question on console settings for the GFX - I have read up a lot about them - but so far have failed on one setting : FOG - Every time you enter a room / area / whatever (and even out doors in town - but not nearly so bad there) , the air is THICK with what is usually a green or yellow fog that is very unpleasant and obscures your vision quite a lot. I don't have the best eye focus to begin with, and it makes things very very uncomfortable to look at, as focusing was hard enough already - Please, does anyone know the console command to turn off the fog?

That would be a real lifesaver.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    again, the key is the immensity. it is one large world. half life's engine could never have done that in such detail. and again, if you spend the game staring at walls and that REALLY bothers you so much, i'm sorry but that's a little nuts imo.

you have to go looking for the problem. it is not readily apparent to most people that are simply playing the game. but if you enjoy tearing down and rating games then you'll look deeper, that's fine - but don't think your specific opinion is more valid than all of the people that are actually PLAYING the game.

however - i admit, you are right. if you stop playing the game, stare at a wall, take a screenshot and then compare it with other screenshots you can tell. otherwise - no.
  12. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at the performance gap Anandtech shows between the 2600k and the 2500k for Rage when transcoding textures. They say that ID needed to use a cpu based compression format for the textures and not a gpu based compression format. They used JPEG XR for a more compressed format.
  13. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    Game`s world does not feel large at all. That large world is just when racing and when going from place to place. Whole gameplay is in closed space and the cities are small also. Fallout is large world oblivion etc. this game just isn`t. Even thought I like the shooting and how game looks when looking at a distance. The game could and should have been much much better.
  14. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    to turn off Post Processing

cvaradd r_useDynamicEnvironiment -1
    enable with cvaradd r_useDynamicEnvironiment 1

Some commands don't work with the first patch
  15. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    i did o_O, and performance wise it seems to take a little bit more of my 6970 because the fan spins harder :p

Did you make your config read only?
  16. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Yup.

:/
  17. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    I would say the graphics are far from disgraceful. :rolleyes: It has had some issues but its running perfect for me now.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I agree. The overworld, for the most part, only exists so there wouldn't be a point and click interface to transition between levels. At least they tried, but they need to try harder. Developers should start with an open-world concept then shape the map/points of interest to fit the plot instead of starting with plot and sticking them on a map to give the preception of open-world when it is really just an elaborate closed-world, point-to-point system.

Ehm, except finding sewers, there really is no reward for exploring the overworld. I only found two non-story related sewers too so that was rather disappointing. Everything else is closed off to you until the plot brings you to it. There's no reason to visit an area before a plot triggers it and no reason to visit it afterwards unless a plot tells you to go there.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Uumm the game is polished, don't know what your on about, but you are right about your other opinions:shadedshu
  20. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Ah they need to get id studio out fast !
  21. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's funny you say that when AMD has drivers out that work great for RAGE, and NV has no drivers out at all for it. :laugh: Seems like a copy and paste "AMD(ATi) drivers suck, always see that, yet I have rarely ever had an issue.

First screen he showed for RAGE was from an XBOX.... seems you were just looking at the other games screens to nitpick and missed that point.
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  22. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
  23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    At first I thought the above was fake cause that looked waayy to real... Granted I just woke up and saw it off of youtube... Still, wow.
  24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I had a lot of visual issues like tearing, texture popping etc when the game first released. Forcing Vsinc solved the screen tearing. My other problem was while loading it would sometimes stop responding and I'd have to shut the game down and restart. Even then the game was WAAAAY playable. I'd like to add tha I have not done any cfg changes or cammands. I'm running the game using only ingame settings available in the options menu.

Then the patch released and it's been bliss ever since. I get a constant 60 fps no matter what is going on and the game runs beautifully. Sure the textures aren't the greatest but I don't give a fuck. It still looks awesome and has loads of character. Even the story is okay considering it's a shooter.

I've been having a blast playing this and I figure I'll beat it this weekend.
  25. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Sure, they got some decent OpenGL drivers. But years of releasing new drivers, yet breaking something that was previously working is not easily forgotten.
    They are getting better, but for years they were terrible.