1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:

John Carmack designed the engine, and not the game itself...

Idtech5 will show its true potential with doom4.

And why are people hating on rage, sure it has some problems, and those bugs at release shouldn't have been there...

They do care about pc gamers, do you know why?

This game has strafe jumping, quake 3 style.

2. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Unigine is a pretty awesome engine. I have been following it for a few years due to their being cross platform capable, with Linux native builds.

But there's nothing really special about that video. Any modern game engine can render an environment like that.

3. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    id tech 5 looks awesome on my system... Rage is more like a short demo to show off some of its features....

i completed rage in 3 evenings and was shocked at how short it was.... definatly not worth the money...

4. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Well i played this after the patch, and i can say it went flawlessly, i mean, the game didn't even stress my card, i got 60FPS with max GPU usage of 75% so temps were reeeeealy low for a game with this nice graphics.

And yes short, 10h for me at hard doing all the races, sidequests etc.

5. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Rage might be short but as long as it entertains me then it's worth the money. Oh...it entertains me. The cost of a game is damn near nothing to me anyways. Working adult here.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Ordered the Anarchy Edition for 32 EUR. Retail boxed version! I think it's worth the price. It's really unusual for a brand new game to be this cheap but then again i won't complain :D

I respect Carmack and all but he really messed up the situation with consoles. And if you look at it, they all screwed up. Just look at Crysis 2. They also screwed up because of consoles. If you want to cover both segments, either seperate the development or make it on PC and then properly redesign and dumb it down for consoles which are in general much more weak than PC's...

7. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Agreed

Rage was meant to be as a "IDTech5 intro" , it's not a tech demo like crysis might be (but stupid people call that tech demo, SP is actually very good in crysis has great replay value imo)

Doom4 is the main thing of IDTech5 - and for your surprise, IDTech5 development has not finished, it will be updated until Doom4 is out. Doom4 gets stuff like super script, new graphics engine, and more.

Rage was also more of a carmack probe , he will hack rage to try kinect, hmd and other high-end PC stuff support, as well as engine improvement patches, stuff like he did in past that was completely unsupported technical stuff you could play with.

8. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    So which is it? Both were writen in Oct 2011... Developing a game for the console is rediculous and greatly limits the games true potencial which is why RAGE should have looked much better on the PC version. You always develop it on the PC then port it over to the console. PC's are always getting better, consoles are not. The PS3 and XBOX 360 are OLD Tech...

1) Legendary Game Designer No Longer Sees PC as Leading Platform for Games.:shadedshu

2) Developing Rage for Consoles Was a Huge Mistake:rockout:

PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is also said to be a CONSOLE PORT. If true, that would suck.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Actually all id games were just technology previews. Some of them became legendary by itself but in a nutshell, they are just tech previews.

10. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    That's the way the video game industry seems to be leaning. Shorter games, with more DLC. Less turn around time and a constant revenue stream from your pocket into greedy shareholders bank accounts.

They don't seem to understand the concept of value. Or that video gamers aren't wealthy like they are themselves.

Quake 2 wasn't a tech demo. It was the next step in FPS evolution, and it was a hell of a deathmatch game.
    I lost so much sleep because of that game.

11. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rage is completely broken even after patches. You can blame drivers, but that wont make my patience grow. A game should work as expected (more or less) out of the box. Rage had horrible bugs, texture flicker and low fps. Sorry, but this one will be locked away with Brink.

12. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Blame yourself and your rig, not the game.
    A PC enthusiast should know how to troubleshoot and overcome these small challenges.
    The fact that there are official tweak guides on several websites and forums - even this one, and you are still having problems points to one thing: User Error.

13. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the fact that the devs themselves have said there are problems have nothing to do with it? And frankly, I don't really care for troubleshooting. I paid for the damn thing, it should work as intended. All the other games I own, (except Brink who is a similar disaster) works flawlessly. You don't go and buy a car with half it's wheels missing and troubleshoot that do you?.. Well actually, maybe you do.

14. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Then get an xbox and stop whining in forums.

15. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Why make this shit WHY ????

[​IMG]

CDdude55 says thanks.
  16. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, cause I definitely said that PC sucked and not Rage right? I suppose you you tried reading what I wrote as brail, cause that's the only way you would come to that conclusion. Also, I've got a PS3, so why should I get an xbox?

17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Blame the Console port to the PC, if they developed the game for the PC, you wouldn't have as many issues.

18. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Topic of the coming gaming decade :D

19. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Oh Boy, I agree :D

20. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully the next gen consoles will start to come 2013 or so, so the PC's aren't held back as much. Graphics wise anyway. There will still be the issue of oversimplifying the controls and adapt it for consoles first and foremost. Oh well.. Off topic.. Off to get something done..

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    while i dont dissagree with you, it should just work out the box, i have to say that my rigs in sig and is old with an unsupported mobo etc and xfire with 2 different cards and i have no problems playing it even with a maxed config file none at all there is the odd glitch but nowt to ruin the whole game and a fair amount of people are like me ,no issues so its not unreasonable to think it is a setup prob or driver issue your faceing:)

5 Million points folded for TPU
  22. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, when you said that you were not interested in doing minor troubleshooting, I dismissed you as one of the ADHD generation of babies with a false sense of entitlement.

If you spent the same amount of effort to read up on some of the tweaks as you do crying on the internet, your game would most likely be working flawlessly right now.

PC games have almost always had to be fiddled with to play nice on your computer. It comes from there being such a huge variety of hardware that the games can run on.

Even with the botched launch, RAGE was easier to get running than some of the classic PC games back in the late 80s and 90s. You guys have it so easy nowdays and you don't even know it.

Spend some time to tweak your rig. Uninstall your drivers and run driversweeper or driver cleaner in safe mode.
    Install the newest RAGE drivers. Install the newest Crossfire profiles.
    Create the \id software\rage folder for a gamecache.
    Maybe set some basic launch options via steam,
    Maybe use a rageconfig.cfg file.

Do a little bit of work and stop bitching.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  23. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    RAGE runs better on my old GTX 470 (280.26 drivers) then it does on my 6970 with the 11.9 drivers.

It's sort of weird cause with the GTX 470 it would cap itself at 60 frames with or without Vsync, but with the 6970 it fluctuates generally around the mid to low 30 FPS and it's sometimes get as low as 21frames, if i disable Vsync. If i enable Vsync on the 6970 it almost turns into a slide show.

24. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    If you're going to play RAGE use these drivers.

CDdude55 says thanks.
  25. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    But it isn't completely broken.... :confused: You say it's broken then you say RAGE had, past tense? Is it broken now or is it not? As far as I know it isn't, so putting away a game that runs fine because of how it launched makes no sense at all, especially when it's a good game. You can waste your money how you want based on your ideals, but the game has worked fine for over a week now, so I don't see what ground there is to stand on here.