1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    So it turns out that Rage was BSODing because I ticked the GX option on my Asus panel sound card; since I unticked it there has been no more crashes. :D
  2. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Ah yeah, i have that soundcard too, totally understandable since i also got some weird behavior.

because you are supposed to use that only when playing those games which need the conversion for EAX sound, but Rage is obviously a modern game with OpenAL support.

Can you please post more detailed specs, like motherboard, which asus xonar model you have and Asus Xonar driver version. I'll email carmack about it.
  3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    So the ATI Open GL file that everyone was adding manually, is now obsolete - or at least I assume so because it causes the game to crash.

Adding the line about 0 jobs to your default.cfg seems to help out massively with multiplayer, which will still freeze every two seconds otherwise.

What concerns me is after several months, with two patches, multiple driver releases after the 'rage performance driver'(which I assume are accumulative) and with no special configs overriding the in-game options, it still manages to have performance issues.

With or without Crossfire, it can be solid 60 and then tank to 40 and stay somewhere in between for quite a bit of time - something to do with the rendering system? I question it because when standing still it's 60 constantly and while you always get better frame rate when not moving, you shouldn't lose almost half your performance in motion.
  4. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Movement should decrease your performance. But in half? Thats just bad.
  5. djxinator

djxinator New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a horrible issue with texture loading times. As soon as I load into a new area, the textures have to load DURING gameplay. This drops my FPS into single digits until it loads all the textures and then BAM! 60fps, smooth as anything until I get back to a loading screen. The issue is, it takes anytime between 20 seconds to 1 minute dependent on if I have 16x AA on.

This is really getting on my nerves. Any Ideas?
  6. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Did you try to enable GPU Transcoding
  7. sixor New Member

Thanks Received:
    too much AA

i ran the game perfect with the 2 updates, but also i ahve nvidia cuda (don´t know if that helps) and a ssd, i played with 4xmsaa
  8. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Everytime I enable V-sync in the Rage options, the game freezes, then I am forced to CTCL, ALT, DEL. Which then brings me to my desktop with a Rage Error message.

Why the he'll is this game SO BUGGY? It's un-playable without V-sync. Setting up the CCC does nothing to resolve this issue. Without V-sync, the game becomes choppy.
  9. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    The game is not buggy - the drivers are crap. (Right the opposite: The most bugless game you can get)

You have to force Vsync through CCC ... don't know why installing it would magically fix the issue.
  10. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Other than the rough launch, this game has been pretty stable and bug-free for me.
    Bad OpenGL drivers from AMD were the problem, and probably still are. It seems that every now and then these clown break their OpenGL.
    It's the usual Ati deal: great hardware, bad drivers.

Here's to hoping for a ninja-update. Game was fun, if a bit brief and generic.
  11. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    Rage plays OK, my only issue is not having the freedom as you do with Skyrim. In Rage theres alot of areas where you can easily go but you are somehow blocked off my an invincible barrier. I cant even jump onto a 1foot hgh ledge in Rage.
  12. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah ... totally agreed on that. First thing i ever do in every game is to see where i can go and rage is pretty closed but not as closed as COD.

though i wasn't that bothered about it's definitely not like corridor shooter or somethign tight.

however invisible walls are really annoying, you can't jump on fences and stuff ... that's too much.
  13. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    After playing Rage for several days, I am really enjoying it. I've had only 2 crashes and one BSOD. Hopefully AMD will have refined drivers soon to once and for all make this game 110% issue free. I am still having slight sync issues despite enabling V-Sync.

Anyhow love the car game play and the sound of the engine is Kick-Ass... :D
  14. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    What in the name :confused:

I was playing, then all of a sudden the credits come up and the game is over :eek: You got to be kidding me :eek: Dam bloody SHORT..........:mad:
  15. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    I found some info on why the Rage was stuttering. It was the fault of both ID and graphic card companies.
    Too short? I ws hoping for it to be as long as Fallout 3 or at least alittle shorter than Fallout 3.
    When is ID going to release a Rage Expansion Pack :confused:
  16. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Oh we do understand ... everyone got through that, you're not the only one :ohwell:
  17. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Darn, and I was really enjoying the game too. If feels like something is missing and/or not done, like the Rage story is not completed. Any info on a possible Expansion Pack continuation?
    I hope so. :D
  18. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Bad news ... :(

Carmack finally saw my question and answered it:

Catched him when i checked his twitter mere 10 seconds after he tweeted - caught on it 17:35 CET ... seems to be morning there ... friking timezones.

https://twitter.com/#!/ID_AA_Carmack/status/185754269717250048

So much for good luck optimism there ... this is exactly why i said 1% might not happen but who the hell knew source files weren't in more detail ... that's silly because he's been previously saying totally talking the opposite ?!?!?! It's not like he didn't know this 2 months before release and 2 months after he suddenly knows "oh it doesn't go more than 8k" ... kind of wierd.

Well yeah now we know about that very unclear "source files not much more detail" thing that wasn't sure what exactly he meant.

But i heard a while back that something like this migth be done for Doom 4 - including an idea of delivery which wasn't sure but one of the ideas was "texture streaming from http server"
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  19. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Hate to say I told ya so......but I told ya so.
  20. twtaylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wish it just stuck to being an FPS, having a racing game inhibit progress sucks.
  21. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    In other words, console ports to PC once again screwed PC gamers from quality graphics. Right :mad:
  22. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm close to beating this.. I think?.. lol but so far I think it's a great game.. Once I used Steam Mover to move the game files from my 3x 250GB Raid0 (159 read and write) to my Intel 40GB SSD (200 Read 40 write).. It was like night and day! The texture popin was so bad on my old drives.. So, I had to do something to stop that popin.. I noticed the internal benchmark only tested texture read speed from the drive.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Having trouble getting a few console commands to work such as God mode and Infinite Ammo.
    I am using the correct variables - it simply does not flag anything in-game.

I read somewhere after a patch, the cheat codes stopped working, however I'm on version 1.0.0.1
    Is that not default?
  24. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    some stuff was disabled because of issues but i think it was re-enabled in next patch, I was in it but now i just don't recall anymore, i'm very busy with all the WiiU discussions, and SC2Hots stuff, probably getting in beta soon as the original game.
  25. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    I had that on my 570GTX but i fixed it with this autoexec.cfg, some lines might not work, but overall I got the effected I wanted.

First I've set desired config (dont change after or it conflicts with autoexec)

then added this autoexec.cfg

Code:
    //main settings

seta fc_maxcachememoryMB "2048"
    seta com_videoRam "1280"     //your vram size

//Virtual Textures

seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "16384"
    seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "16384"
    seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "16384"   ///lower to 8192 if you're running out of vram 
    seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "16384"
    seta vt_qualityhdplossless "1"
    seta vt_qualityhdppower "0"
    seta vt_qualityhdpspecular "0"
    seta vt_qualityhdpnormal "0"
    seta vt_qualityhdpdiffuse "0"
    seta vt_qualitydctpower "100"
    seta vt_qualitydctspecular "100"
    seta vt_qualitydctnormal "100"
    seta vt_qualitydctchroma "100"
    seta vt_qualitydctluma "100"
    seta vt_usecudatranscode "2"
    seta vt_cudaBudget "256"
    seta vt_maxppf "512"
    seta vt_maxlockedpages "1024"
    seta vt_maxaniso "12"
    seta vt_uncompressedvmtr "1"
    seta vt_preload "1"
    seta vt_vmtrcompression "none" //HDP DXT DCT
    vt_restart

//Renderer

g_fov 95
    r_gamma "0.88"
    seta r_shadows "1" //default
    seta r_displayRefresh "0" //default
    seta r_multiSamples "4"
    seta jobs_numthreads "2" 

//Image

seta image_preload "1"
    seta image_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    seta image_anisotropy "12"
    seta image_usecompression "0"
    seta image_screenshotquality "100"
    vid_restart

and add this to Rage.exe shortcut;
    Rage.exe +seta com_AllowConsole 1 +seta com_SkipIntroVideo 1 +seta mem_phymemblocksizem "2048" +exec "autoexec.cfg"

Although i didnt try this after 1.2 patch and texture sharpening pack.