1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The RAGE Megathread

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Aug 9, 2011.

1. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    No matter what I do after the first mission, my FPS drops to a max of 10. And I notice in MSI afterburner on screen display that it says the game is running in OpenGL mode.
    I think I will shelve this until a patch is issued.

Was fun before I ran into the 10 FPS wall.

EDIT
    Stayed up waaaaay too late trying to figure this out. Apparently some smart people from various forums cooked up a temporary fix
    here's a link to the steam forums : http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154053&page=11

Also, if you cut and paste this into the launch options of the game in steam, it'll improves things a LOT.

+cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 512 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1

I just copied these from the steam forums, and my FPS went up a lot. There's still some issues with streaming textures, but this is a step in the right direction. Now I'm gonna grab a smoke and get a few hours of sleep.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    mediasorcerer says thanks.
  2. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive still got riddick-assault on dark athena and escape butcher bay,,one of the best games ever made,wish theyd do a follow up,i even tried emailing the starbreeze studio to insist they do,haha,ive played it more times than any other game,

edit,TARD,your a gem mate,thanx for the fix!!!!

3. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    I just saw a video on youtube of someone who was playing RAGE on console... seems a kangaroo trying to ride a bicycle...

you have to move your feet and wait for the mutant lines up at your gun, then shoot... dumb show !!

I have never played an FPS on consoles and never will ...

4. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    id started work on Rage right after Doom 3 was released: 2004. Tho the concept was probably thought earlier than that.

Gearbox released Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 in 2005 and a few months later their second team released the sequel Earned in Blood. It's after this release that Gearbox licensed UE 3.0 and started working on Borderlands.

But honestly I don't know why people keep saying that Rage is a copy of Borderlands. It's stupid (aside from the above), since Borderlands is not original in any posible way. Both (but specially Rage) are clearly based on Mad Max movies. And even saying that is stupid, because probably Mad Max was not original anyway and was based on something esle, it certainly has a lot in common to many novels I have read. Anyone who reads just a little knows that every story has already been told and every fantasy world has already been described and it's been like that since at least the '40s or '50s, the Golden Age of both science fiction and comics.

digibucc says thanks.
  5. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Shelley's The Last Man, Welles' The War of the Worlds and Matheson's I am Legend, to name but a few.

digibucc says thanks.
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    True, but gaming is not as broad as comics and novels. You didn't miss Borderlands and Fallout, and probably played the crap out of them, and might be a bit overfed on the whole wasteland bit. Also all of these are pretty new.

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Gamespot video review

IGN video review

[yt]OJvF-MBJMB8[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So whats the verdict on this game?

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    another mediocre id game apparently.

11. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    They raised the bar visually, gameplay is average, nothing groundbreaking.

The visual settings are also very limited, all you can change is resolution, AA and whether or not you want GPU trancoding enabled or not. I know it's early but there are a few noticeable issues, one big one is texture pop in problems and im hearing with AMD drivers it's even worse. The game runs smooths as butter on my GTX 470 and 1055T, but there is still texture pop ins. Though that's more of a HDD/SSD dependent thing rather then GPU or CPU.

It is clear that Rage was developed with the consoles first in mind.

12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    great graphics, poor storytelling, weak multiplayer, very buggy on PC (crashing, framerate, pop in)

CDdude55 says thanks.
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I really hope you were not hoping for an "epic story" from an iD game. If so I just lost a ton of respect for you.

What you can expect.

1. Not awesome graphics. Groundbreaking graphics.
    2. Weapons that will make your toes curl when the go off.
    3. Techno music or something from NIN or Rob Zombie.
    4. Controls more solid then depleted uranium.
    5. Very basic game play mechanics.

Did it deliver on these fronts?

On a side note you do relize this was an iD game only in name. Not in production. Doom 4 will be a true iD game.

14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    boss battles are not very exciting

I don't think it's worth $60. wait this one out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  15. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    What makes you say that, because it wasn't Doom or Quake? It does look like a glorified tech-demo but for some that might be just what they want. I have to wait until bastard Friday before I can play it.

:shadedshu

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No story is better than awful story.

17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No because it wasnt made by the iD team in Texas. They are working on Doom 4. Rage was made buy a bunch of greenhorns that just NOW got an iD sign placed on the front of thier building. Make no mistake. This is not a true iD game.

digibucc says thanks.
  18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    not imo.

19. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    John Carmack was the Technical Director and Engine programmer for Rage. Hollenshead also mentioned that the title ''would be completely developed in-house, marking the first game since 2004's Doom 3 to be done so''. So it's deifnitly an id game.

I'm seeing a lot of complaints about Rage, it's a decent game, but i think people are starting to get tired of id's game patterns which they have been doing following their 90's breakthrough hits. Where the core gameplay is nothing special but they wrap that in a beautiful package with beautiful sound and animations. I think the question some should ask themselves is that if they had not have used mega-texures or if the sound and animations were not as good as in the game, would it be worth it?

20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    John Carmack made the engine. Thats what he does. Not make the game. Hollenshead is the money man. He does not make the game. This game was not made in Texas studio by the original crew. Sorry. But you are wrong. They are on Doom 4.

21. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I don't want a ''You're wrong'', that gives me nothing, educate me then.

Hollenshead is CEO of id software and he's said in the past that Rage was developed in house like Doom 3 was, why should i not believe him?

As far as i can recall, Rage switched publishers, but the main id team created Rage.

22. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey buddy listen to what you are saying and listen to what TheMailMan78 is saying. You're listing to a salesman.. and TheMailMan78 isn't saying it's not an Id game, he is clarifying that it's not the original Id team.. The original Id team is working on Doom 4. They could have given you a job last week and if you touched Rage.. Then you would have been apart of id's "in house team".. but never the original team at id. :toast:

CDdude55 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    What TheMailMan means is that it was a load of work experience kids that created Rage.

;) ;)

HURH HURH!

Jokes aside, I hope they address the issues before the game is released in the UK this Friday.

24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    It Tim Willits over saw Rages creative team. The old school iD guys over saw the project. They however didn't develop it. Thats what I'm trying to get across. They oversaw a NEW TEAM. The old Texas team is working on Doom 4. Thats the game you have to look out for. If it sucks.......well iD had a helluva run.

You gotta watch the older videos on Rage. The publisher is showing this game as a iD veteran game and its really not. It was done by a new team.....with oversight from the old team.

Pretty much.

25. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly! That's the point i was trying to get across. Did it not sound that way?

Crunching for Team TPU