1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The return of Mechwarrior?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mike0409, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
  2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Oh snap. I loved the Mechwarrior games, but they were always a tad too involved for me while I was that age. I'd love a current version of one!
  3. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I love Mechwarrior, I wouldn't mind seeing a new Crimson Skies either.
  4. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Teaser #2

Teaser #3

This better be for PC (and others) from the start and not some bloody port from a console 6 months after. That always leads to buggy / crap games.

/Cynicism

About. Freaking. Time.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Daishi FTW!

I loved infinite ammo then putting three AC120s on it. A single well aimmed shot could kill another mech of equal size or a hit anywhere would kill the smaller ones.

Definitely one of my favorite games but, they have to thread a needle from the moon to pull off a hit. I also fear it will suffer a case of consolitis (like all other modern games) so, basically, I expect it to suck. :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Nice more awesomeness! :toast:

Hopefully the full trailer is out later this week.
  7. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I have played every mechwarrior game produced, not to mention I was a huge PenPaper player of BattleTech. I have been literally praying for the next release. I did the MekTech thing for a while until M$ killed the loby client. I hope this lives up and surpasses Mercs and MW4!!!
  8. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:

The more we talk about it suffering from consolitis the more the game deity will make it so just to destroy our inner child. Because he's a jerk. We shall speak no more of this!

Also, I always went 3x ER PPC and 4x ER Laser Large for the Daisy (no heat servers everywhere). More precise from a distance, just couldn't let your shotgun variant in close as you'd knock me down everytime.

It shouldn't have too much trouble surpassing Mech4. It was a 2001 release so graphics should be dead easy, and the story of Mech4 wasn't much compared to Mech3, so it shouldn't be too hard to surpass 4 in that regard either.
  9. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    One of my favorite builds was the MadCat II, 95Tons with jump jets. 4 Light Gauss in 1 group, 1200 Meter range. A center torso hit on most mechs was death and they couldnt even see me cause was 1200 meters away and run most the time with radar off.
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    why does a mech game have to have a storyline why not just missions in a made up war
  11. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    Ah, you usually frequented the Castle map didn't you.
  12. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    ^ It just helps the flow. It's about time we get another Mech game. Transformers are hot now, so this is a natural alliance.
  13. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    I had many different builds for types of battlefields...That was my long range Desert/Castle map, yes.

Half the fun for me was building the mech.

My favorite close range was the 95 ton Gladiator with 2 LBX AC20's and 4 ER Large lasers. I never play with Unlimited Ammo or unlimited Heat.

I am sooo hyped for this to be a reality!!
  14. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    I only ever played 1.0 in Mech4 because by the time I started my online, update 3.0 was 5 people and servers full of bots. However every server except 1 (or some ridiculously small number) in 1.0 had switched to unlimited ammo and no heat. Hence most every game was Nova Cats with 7 ERLLgs hill humping. The only reason 1.0 was still so popular was because they fixed hill bugging in later updates.

I really enjoyed custom mechs in the campaign. Especially when you just get an item and go upgrade your load out. Ah, awesome.
  15. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    file under "game i want revived!" :toast:
  16. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Haha, yeah NovaCats can pack a lot of energy weapons. 5 ER PPC's or 9 ER Lrg Lasers. Only useable in NH/UA games. The worse was 9 ER Lrg Pulsa lasers. If you tried to fire 5 ERPPC's with heat in effect your mech gets one shot off then either shutsdown or blowsup. LOL. I had seen my share of noobs get on my server with their novacats only to explode a few seconds later.
  17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, being so close was their weakness (also the ammo) but it could deal death blows so fast it ain't even funny...oh, wait, it is! :roll:

As for all lasers, I prefered the Sunder. I don't remember why exactly. :confused:

Graphics don't make good games, IMO. The Sims wouldn't be the best selling game of all time if that were the case. They have to pull a necromancer act on MechWarrior and resurect the soul of the series. The soul being the advanced controlability, the upgrade system, the armor and weapon selections, the broad choice of varied units, a good story line, multiple endings, and most importantly, it has to be plain sweet to run around in 100' tall bipedal robots (and you got to earn access to those). :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    *prays to the PC Gaming God*

God damn I want this game!!! I loved Mech4, but Mercs was better :p
  19. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, loved Mech Warrior 3, the Armored Core games just seemed to anime like, I like feeling like I'm in the movie robo jox, not in some quick jetting around massive object.
  20. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:

True, it doesn't need to have graphics to be better. However I remember I was disappointed with Mechwarrior 4 compared to Mechwarrior 3 because the graphics were either slightly better or much worse. Trees for instance being 2 x 2 dimensional images at a 90 degree angle to one another. What the hell? Mech 3 had destructible trees when you ran into them...

Its this reason I'm saying graphics matter. It should at least be relevant to the past 3 years of graphics in games, but compared to 2001 graphics it will win hands down. Destructible environments. Now that would make me shit and giggle.
  21. DBH New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW! Didn't expect this at all. I've been playing the Mech games since I was 11... I'm now 25. Fond memories oh yes.... but if they do release a Mech5 not Mechassault arcade stuff as others have said here this will be happy times all over again. Mech4 played that silly and yep Mercs was better. My favourite was a 2 Long Tom Mad Cat MKII and I'd stay far away and just rain down artillery or a group of enemy mechs from far was beautiful... used to get a whole group of mates with this config seeing the whole terrain light up with fire was awesome :laugh:
    department76 says thanks.
  22. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    :eek: if this is true, they have somehow managed to keep it a complete secret till now, I mean there hasn't even been a rumor about this and Piranha games. Considering I'm one of the 3 guys that make up the senior staff that runs MWL(mechwarriorleagues.com), and I'm also on Mektek.net's beta team, I hear about every single rumor there is about a MW5. Time will tell. I'm gonna go post this at MWL and Mektek so my mech heads can try to confirm this.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    OMG :eek:

Im like speechless, do want.

Mechwarrior was one of the reasons i got my own first PC.
  24. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
  25. El Fiendo

El Fiendo

Thanks Received:
    From their 'About' section on Piranha Games's website.

"Currently in production on several projects ranging from R&D development of new technologies to a AAA licensed franchise on the Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3."

Well *expletive*.

Hopefully this isn't referring to Mechwarrior. Because, I'm sorry to you Nintendo people, but if its 'dumbed down' to work on Wii and they don't even have PC mentioned? This just means they're going to have to work their asses off in the story department for this to work.