1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The ROG Swift is here in the USA!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hitman_Actual, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Timber1900

Thanks Received:
    This, I love you for this. <3

2. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    So what exactly do you see a "gamer" as? I'm not sure how you see that as. Somebody who sits down in front of his/her PC and plays games all day? Yeah, sure the 144HZ Asus guarantees would help in that case.

I do see myself as a gamer however I spend most my time looking at cars on the web, regardless, I want color accuracy and good viewing angles IN the games I play as well.

And I'm not sure you understand how ms relates to a HZ either.

3. 64K

Thanks Received:
    My definition of a gamer is someone that is an enthusiast. It doesn't matter how much they game. There are enthusiasts here that spend large amounts on their hardware because they are enthusiasts. You're forgetting the G-Sync part of this monitor. Why do you need good viewing angles when you are gaming? If color accuracy and viewing angles are critical for your gaming enjoyment then an IPS or PLS panel is for you. Asus is not targeting you for this monitor.

DLGenesis says thanks.
  4. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    I do see myself an an enthusiast too. And I do spend large amount of money on my hardware, and import. I want good viewing angles all the time, it doesn't matter when I'm gaming or not. You seem to forget that even when you look directly into a TN it suffers from viewing angles on the sides of the panel.

Again, personally, for the price of this I'd say one can almost surround Korean 27 inchers. But yeah, just my 2c.

5. Timber1900

Thanks Received:
    *shifst head around triple TN monitor setup* Nope... no odd discolorations until I'm 3 feet to the left or right!

6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Viewing angles are important for a monitor to an extent but as stated you can adjust a monitor pretty easily in more cases than naught to whatever spot you are sitting at to perfectly match you (As with the Swift). I play on plenty of different panels but for my personal gaming desktop the benefits of a TN will out weigh the benefits of an IPS (Least for me). Color reproduction is just fine on my monitors even when using Eyefinity and especially on my new Asus 4k Screen and the viewing angles give enough wiggle room as is to adjust the monitor as you see fit to where there is not an issue. I would not see using a TN panel sitting at a computer desk to play a game as a problem mostly because you are not moving much while playing (Or at least I do not jump up and down while playing LoL or BF4).

IPS Panels are and will eventually be the best once all aspects catch up but having a high response time on top of the expenses for getting one that has above 60hz refresh for some people is going to knock it off the list. I personally cannot stand using a 5ms response time anymore once I dropped to 1ms because it can be really noticeable in certain games (BF4 for instance).

I personally do like the ROG swift and think its a cool monitor. I know different people have different things they want in a monitor and not every panel is going to be right for them. You have to put your priorities first and figure out which monitor/T.V satisfy's those needs.

64K and Timber1900 say thanks.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I don't even understand the argument. If you want an IPS monitor, get that. If you don't, don't.

64K and Timber1900 say thanks.
  8. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    Well I don't want to adjust the monitor to a degree to see things better myself.

You have to consider that you own a 4K panel which has higher pixel density than a non-4K panel.

How can you tell the difference from 5ms to 1 at 60HZ? Unless you have tons of input lag going on there simply isn't a way because 16ms equals to 60HZ, and 5ms is way below that.

As for IPS, the overclockable Korean panels don't OC high enough to bypass their ms, so they're more than fine.

If anybody here had a very well OC'ing, solid panelled 30 inch monitor (such as the old Korean 30 inchers that sold), I'm sure he/she would take it over any of these monitors spoken here any day.

9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Adjusting a monitor takes like 5 seconds? Then you do not have to do it again for a long time especially if you do not move it...

This is 2560x1440p at 144hz which also has a higher than normal pixel density.

Ghosting, but that was actually supposed to say 6 I mis-hit my keyboard. It is noticeable in fast paced games especially multiplayer games...

Does not matter though, in the end choosing a monitor comes down to your needs/wants. Gamers generally want low response, high resolution, and high refresh monitors because it generally helps in games where making a split second decision is key to winning versus having a monitor view-able at more angles with slightly better color reproduction. But in the end it matter what the person buying the monitor wants...

Everyone wants something different, a person should get what he/she wants.

10. X71200

X71200

Thanks Received:
    I'd knock that out to the monitor(s) being shitty. I've played fast paced games a long time on a 8ms panel and have never noticed any ghosting.

11. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I don't know. I just brought my 4k monitor and couldn't be happier. Although I can't use it yet, but its not asus or Samsung, so no lag issues. But PC Gamers, I believe, are liking ultrawide over 4k. That's gonna be the future battle

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  12. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    I'll post a full review once I receive the monitor. It's about 2 weeks out according to PCnation.

64K says thanks.
  13. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    800 bucks for a monitor
    not sure if believes hype ... or Has more money then brains

14. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    wow people on this techpowerup forums are the worst....unreal. :slap:

15. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    I see the guy with the poor mans rig and setup has nothing nice to say.....

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Seriously ?, shiiii. Could say your trying to compensate. You think your better because you spend more money on shit OMG. Not everyone got to like what you like and everyone has a value to some thing and seems that a lot do think it's more than it's worth but thank you for buying the over price stuff as it will surly help us poor people to buy it as the price will drop faster.

Never mind the fact of being stuck to one brand of video card, some like to keep their options open.

Although i still would not buy it if it was $400 but of course that's imo lol.

And thinking about TB screens my aged sammy 204b is 5ms in bTw which works out the same speed wise.

How ever have fun with it and hope it gives you all the joy in the world :).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    OneMoar says thanks.
  17. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:

Whoa... seriously? That's no way to make friends in any forum for sure I tell you :shadedshu:

Anyways.... I'm torn between this monitor and the Acer XB280HK 4K G-sync monitor, the reviews for the Swift are glowing so far, every single reviewer has nothing but praise for the Swift, as soon as the reviews for the Acer monitor are posted I'll decide which monitor to get, I know the Acer is gonna be only 60Hz, but even with dual titans, I don't think ill be able to drive 4K much higher than that anyways, and actually at this res. the monitor will probably benefit a lot from having g-sync.

Both monitors are going to sell for the same price, so it'll come down to the quality of the TN panel, and the fact that 4K is more future proof than 1440p in my opinion might tip the scale towards the Acer offering... but the Swift sure is an amazing monitor, no doubt about it.

Can't wait to read the reviews for both monitors before I decide which one to get :)

18. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    right because spending 800 dollars on a monitor with limited input choices/functionality makes you so much better than everybody else if I was to spend that much on monitor I would be getting a 42inch or higher monitor

19. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    wtf guys, what reason`s behind shitting each other? :laugh: gaming monitor is gaming monitor))) it can be 1ms resp time g.m or g-sync gaming monitor, or all at once, who cares? ) every consumer will pay for what he want, so don't mess it up. If Man demanding something, he would went and get it, price is the road.

Champ says thanks.
  20. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Don't know man, 42" is kinda overkill for a desk don't you think? For me 27" is the sweet spot for a desk based rig, specially if you go with multiple monitors, anything bigger than that belongs in a den or a game room IMO :p

21. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    I'm really excited for 4k but I think it will be a while before it would be worth getting a 4k monitor.
    I'd recommend the ROG Swift. I've gone back and forth on this myself.

15th Warlock says thanks.
  22. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    You recommend the Swift better because of the 144Hz refresh rate as opposed to the 60Hz rate available on most 4K monitors at the moment?

I read the TN panel Asus used for the Swift is superb, Acer will use a TN panel for the XB280HK also, but as far as I know no current interface exists that can drive 4K resolutions faster than 60Hz, I don't know, if I'm gonna invest $800 on a monitor I would prefer something that is a little more future proof....

When I bought my current 1080p monitors ($700 a piece back then) I was certain gaming at 5760x1080 would be enough, but now with all retina displays in cell phones, tablets and laptops I've been seriously spoiled and it actually hurts my eyes to look at my main rig render at such low DPI density :p

I'm really interested in your opinion on this matter, please let me know what you think :)

64K and Conti027 say thanks.
  23. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'd say the 144hz is one of the bigger/biggest reasons. I'm not sure if you've used 120+ hz monitors but as a gamer they feel amazing!!! I describe the feeling as the same feeling you get from going form 30fps to 60fps in a game. I'm sure thats not true for everyone but that is the kind of feeling I got. Just butter smoother...*drowning in drool* Not sure how much of a gamer you are but you can even feel the difference moving the mouse around on your desktop.

I've read the same thing about the TN panel in the Asus ROG Swift. You could read my other post about what I think about TN panels and other panels. (or TL;DR. It doesn't matter much... to a point.)
    While I'm excited for 4k its still relatively new to the consumer market and some stuff still needs to be ironed out, like new connection types, DPI scaling and graphics power plus I'd love to have high hz. 4k at 120+ hz.... that will take a while in GPU power alone.
    Now with future proofing for a monitor I'm with you. I don't wanna spend a lot of money on something that will/might be out dated soon. The $800 is really steep and I'm a bit iffy on it myself but the thing is with 4K monitors now they will be shit compared to the ones that come out in a year. 4k is still new and a lot more changes will be coming to it and tweaking it to be better.
    The pain of being an early adapter.

With DPI density you might just have to check out 2560x1440 in person to see what you think compared to 4k. For me I think I'll be happy a 1440p for a while.
    I like high DPI and I think with my next monitor I'd rather have 120+ hz.

AND!! Thank you on being interested on my opinion:toast:

15th Warlock says thanks.
  24. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it as this has been an ongoing debate in my head since the beginning of this year when both these monitors were announced :p

And yes, you're absolutely right in saying that going from 60Hz to 120Hz is an amazing experience, I remember spending a few minutes on my desktop moving windows around mesmerized by the smoothness of it all :laugh:

To be honest with you I've never tried a 1440p monitor, Linus says in his review of the Swift that at 27" this is the sweet spot for gaming and desktop rendering, so you might be onto something there, just can't get over the fact that my 5" cell phone utilizes the same resolution as my desktop monitor, and have been sort of thinking that higher resolution just looks better, which, like you said may not be necessarily true 100% of the time :ohwell:

And I also agree on having a bit of buyer's remorse when being a first time adopter for some technology (happened to me with 3D vision, less than a year after I got my monitors nvidia released an improved second gen revision to their spec :( )which is why I'm kinda iffy about being an early adopter of g-sync (you know ver. 2.0 is coming down the road with improvements such as surround support and <30Hz support which might be crucial at 4K+ resolutions).

Well, thank you very much again for your educated opinion, and let's wait and see what happens once reviews for the XB280HQ start popping up, Linus mentioned Acer was sending him a monitor and I'm anxiously awaiting for his opinion on it, I'm pretty sure he will compare it to the Swift once his review airs ;)

Once again, I appreciate your input, and I guess for now the waiting game will continue :p

Conti027 says thanks.
  25. 64K

Thanks Received:
    The only complaint I have for this monitor is the price tag but I am willing to pay $800 for this monitor. Early adopters usually get screwed. I think the people who don't see why anyone would want one have valid points for their opinion. They probably use their desktop for more than just gaming so they value an IPS/PLS panel more. I only use my desktop for gaming and so I base every decision about what goes in my desktop and what monitor I use from a gaming standpoint. I use my laptop for everything else.

This monitor isn't for every gamer though. Asus knows that. They make a very nice 1440p PLS monitor too for under $500.