1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Secret World - Nvidia Beta KEY-GIVE-AWAY Claim ur key NOW

Discussion in 'Games' started by puma99dk|, May 27, 2012.

1. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Seems to be a typical sub fee from what I have been reading and have avoided the pay to win scheme unlike APB reloaded.

Instead, if you want to have unique clothing, you have to buy it.

2. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Combat:
    It's Warcraft with guns in third person(though you can have first person most people don't).
    I hate to use Warcraft as the reference but I am not kidding...

Especially early on, you hit button one, button one, button one, button one, button one, button two. You do this because you're building weapon resources(think rogue in Warcraft or warrior in RIFT) and then you're spending them on your big damage ability. Rinse and repeat.
    I say early on, as if it gets better but actually it doesn't with exception to unlocking a few more abilities that you end up rarely using.
    The only difference later on is that you can't stand still anymore, you have to move around a little bit so you stay alive longer..which would be fine, except like all MMOs mobs hit you with a melee attack from over five meters away...

It's like Left 4 Dead met Warcraft and had a baby, but then forgot to teach the kid about the actual shooting aspect of the game.
    The firearms can't shoot more than twenty meters, literally, and they all feel the same.

Non level progression "No levels"
    The 'no level no class' thing is a gimmick. You still gain a-typical experience but instead of linear levels(1-50 etc), you gain skill point levels which is visually noted by the long XP bar at the bottom of the screen.

No classes
    Your weapons are basically your classes. You have to equip the weapon to use the abilities. Note I said use the abilities. There's no standard or 'auto' attack. You don't fire the weapons (as indicated above by my Warcraft comparison) directly, you use abilities that fire the weapons.
    You then have to level up by gaining experience (mob kills, quests, the usual), and when you earn an ability point, you spend it in the skill wheel(yes, shaped like a wheel). But to get further you have to spend more points consecutively to unlock higher abilities. Hmm sound familiar to talent trees ?

Armor and clothing
    The idea of no armor is true and it's not true. You have eight equipment slots, which are comprised of accessories (think trinkets, rings, necklace etc), and they give you 'stats' just like other MMORPGs.
    The clothes you wear are all cosmetic. The downside is that most clothing that people will want is either ridiculously expensive(and the economy /currency makes NO sense in the game), or will be store bought with real money.

The whole concept of making an avatar and extending your personality into that in-game avatar gets it's legs cut out from under it because you have to go above and beyond your normal subscription. It ruins the whole point of 'no armor' approach and consequently the entire 'be who you want to be' or whatever lame tag line they were marketing.

In summary the game is not what a lot of people thought and hoped it would be.
    If you're looking for an actual FPS or third camera action adventure shooter combined with an MMO then play Fallen Earth, not Secret World. Trust me on this.
    However the real value is in the mission(quests), the lore, puzzles and the places you travel which will be enough to keep people interested for a while.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i got this in my email box today if ppl still wondering why the beta of The Secret World is moved.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• TSWB.jpg
      TSWB.jpg
      File size:
      101.1 KB
      Views:
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  4. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    meh yeah they postponed it to 15-19June...

At least it will be using Physx 3 and TXAA. :)
    [​IMG]

and now its 35gb in total, wdf? :wtf:

5. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Only if you have a gpu that uses physx and txaa. What the heck is in this to make it 35 gb? Must be one huge huge world.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Pyhsx3 is nv, but TXAA can run on any DX11 gpu.. in other words it was just a GF GTX680 marketing gimmick. :)

It relies on FP16 and yeah GTX680 has a "stronger" FP16 compared to lets say GTX 580, but nothing exciting about it. Also any Dx11 Radeon supports it too, sometimes its even better(faster) then NV.

7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I have to disagree on several points, and this will probably be too lengthy for most peoples enjoyment;

Combat:
    It uses a Tab-Targetting system like older MMO's, but it's definitely a lot more complicated than selecting 2 abilities and mashing them. It's a basic formula of pick a Resource Builder, and a finisher. Pretty straight forward. What you ignored is that there are multiple debuffs and side-effects to each ability. Some apply effects like Affliction (a passive DoT effect mostly) and Impairment (Silence\Snare mostly) and multiple abilities have alternate effects when certain conditions are met. Its combat isn't revolutionary, but it's definitely a bit different.

If you're going to clump all games that feature Tab-Targetting and 3rd Person Perspectives as WoW-clones, then basically everything not titled TERA is just a WoW-clone.

No Levels, No Classes:
    TSW does not have levels, and it's really not a gimmick. It doesn't have levels, but it has to have the feeling that your character is progressing, so they made the Skill Points and Ability Points stretch out over the the same distance, without rewarding you all of them when you level. In games like WoW, every even level you get a new ability, and after level 10 every odd level you get a talent point. What TSW did is make it so you no longer have these artificial constraints saying you won't get a talent point this level, but maybe next time. Now you get AP and SP as you're questing and killing stuff so you don't have to go all the way back to a Town to train new skills. It also gives it a more realistic feel, as though your character is actively learning and advancing, rather than just randomly having moments where he goes; "OH SHIT!@ Now I can cast Blizzard".

Is it an absolutely perfect system? Of course not. You still at times feel like you're basically waiting to level up to get enough SP or AP to unlock something you want/need, but it's no longer a grind to that specific level.

As for classes, it's basically as you said, your weapon denotes your class. The huge thing you missed though, is that you can have 2 different weapon types equipped, as long as they are from a different category--Magic, Ranged, Melee being the three main categories. This means as the game goes on, you can start mixing and matching as you see fit. There are also a lot of complementing abilities scattered throughout the Ability Wheel. Remember when I mentioned attacks modified by Affliction? When I was using Fist Weapons which through a Passive Talent applied it automatically, I noticed that some Elemental and Blood Magic abilities benefit greatly from the effect. There's a massive amount of mixing and matching to be done, and the best part is eventually you'll unlock every single ability in the game, and you can play whatever you want at any time by just changing your load out.

Equipment \ Clothing:
    All clothing is aesthetic, and sold I believe through their cash shop. This is what games like Maplestory do, and it's nothing new. The actual character Gear can be made, bought, or found in the game world and doesn't cost any Real Money. I see them going the route of EVE and LOTRO and making it so eventually you can convert in-game currency (Pax Romana I believe it's called) into Funcom Points and buy this stuff, as a way to combat inflation in the game world.

Quests, Lore, Story:
    You barely mentioned Questing, which is hands down the BEST part of the game. The quests are a combination of traditional MMO fetch and kill quests, with tons of puzzles and riddles thrown into the mix. I'm not talking easy riddles either, they are archaic and cryptic beyond what most people ever imagined. The smost basic example is a point where you have to crack someone's computer, and are given only a Date, and the phrase "Four Seasons" to figure it out. The game has a built in Web Browser that defaults to Google, I kid you not.

The game was exactly what I though it would be, and is damn fun. It's the first game to really break the mold in terms of Character and Story Structure, and thank god it's not another High Fantasy-based MMO. The idea of incorporating real world locations into an MMO was genius.

The game takes place in the real world basically. Each zone is massive as well. It's awesome to have a real open world, which is part of the allure that games like WoW have. SWTOR did it really wrong by having "Planets" but restricting you to this tiny portion of each planet. The game also has tons of in-game cutscenes, instances areas, voice acting, and pretty high quality textures.