1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Sleeving Journey of my Corsair 750W

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by kenkickr, Dec 4, 2008.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Since Asus still has my board and it's to damn cold out to paint I thought I would do a sleeving job to my Corsair PSU. I haven't done one in awhile, 5-6 yrs to be exact, so I'll be taking my time to plan each course of action. This morning I took the PSU apart and removed all the sleeving from the 24 pin ATX connection cause I'm going to sleeve each wire all the way into the PSU. Here are some pics of the PSU taken apart.

The PSU starting to look ugly:
    [​IMG]

The fan(GP D14BH-12):
    [​IMG]

Wanted to show there are some holes for LED's. Maybe another mod while doing the sleeving!?
    [​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I finished the 24 pin ATX connection and 8 pin EPS connection yesterday and so I'm throwing up some pics. I ran out of sleeving so waiting til after X-mas to order more, but needed to test my Asus board since it might be going bye-bye.

ATX connection
    [​IMG]

EPS connection
    [​IMG]

Shown in all it's glory
    [​IMG]

ATX connection plugged in(Isn't it pretty)
    [​IMG]

EPS connection plugged in
    [​IMG]

Next step is to kind of modulate the molex connection cables since I really don't use them except for the top fans and to sleeve all of the 8pin PCI-E connections and SATA cables. Happy modding :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    That is pretty darn good!

They all going to be blue though?
    kenkickr says thanks.
  4. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    You are quite the inspiration, by single wire sleeving you can hide the wires under the motherboard. I dont 'thank' much, (only about 12 times a year), but this is definately worth one.
    EDIT: also, how did you sleeve them individually? is there a kit?
    kenkickr says thanks.
  5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. I bought some 1/8" sleeving off ebay since it was the best damn price for 25ft. 75ft did the atx connection and eps connection so I think I'll be ordering 100ft. I did the sleeving to help with managing the cables and so the ugly wires weren't showing at the bottom and yes, it will be all blue. Later I'll post pics on how I sleeved them individually.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    very nice job - how would you go about rigging up LEDs to the fan, however? that escapes me.
    but I'm now going to have a little peek in my Corsair 620w next time I contemplate sleeving.. :toast:
    kenkickr says thanks.
  7. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I would have to find LED's(radioshack has them) and solder the LED terminal leads together to the wire leads on the fan so the LED's will power up.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Nice work kenkickr, that blue individual sleeving is pretty sleek-looking. Actually, it looks better than an all-in-one-sleeve imo...
    kenkickr says thanks.
  9. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I can't wait to get the rest of the sleeving and get this finished so I can get back to the winter projects I want to do to my case.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Very nice job! I love it when they're individually sleeved, looks very sleek. Is that sleeving UV reactive? I sleeved my HX620W UV green and it took me hours (probably 12-16 in total) but it's worth it in the end!

BTW what did you use to take the pins outta the 24 pin atx connector? The tool that came with my AC Ryan kit was crap and didn't take out the square pins.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  11. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats a very uniqe way of sleeving each individual cable but it looks awesome i did some sleeving before must of took some time good job
    kenkickr says thanks.
  12. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Nice work. There are lots of us that have these 750's. I love mine, but there are so many cables its hard to manage sometimes.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  13. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I used sewing needles. 1.27 @ Walmart. I like the sewing needles cause they don't bend as easily as the staples and do not cost 15-20 bucks like the tool. I went through 4 needles when doing the ATX and EPS connection. I'll show some pics later on this week when I get more sleeving.
    Cptnyr says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully once I'm done I can inspire more 750 users to do this cause it honestly so far has made the ATX and EPS connection wiring management so much easier.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm wondering how I would go about doing my 620..it's modular and the modular cables are all plastic sheathed 'ribbon' style...it's mighty weird.. maybe I could find another set of cables that fit the modular slots? or use the ends on new cables?
  16. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I think I have a PSU @ home with the same modular cables, except mine as all the cables like that..Ultra X-Connect 500W. Basically you just treat it the same as any PSU but if you are going to sleeve all the cables together you need to get some masking tape or painters tape, cut a little off, wrap it around the cable, and number them so you do not get messed up and ruin your PSU. If your wanting to sleeve them individually then just do one cable at a time. That is exactly what I did cause, well, that's what I wanted!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I have some more sleeving on the way to get this done. Soon updated with more sexy pics.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Finished up sleeving this morning so here are some pics:

In all it's glory! You should notice some of the connections are missing. Makes for much better cable management.
    [​IMG]

Showing off the cutting I had to do to make the cables fit
    [​IMG]

I think I'm going to run by Autozone and get some black fuel line cause the green just turns my beauty into shit. I also need to run the PSU by the shop and spray it to make sure no metal shavings are sitting in there even though I thought the walmart bag and tape did an excellent job. Once I get it sprayed out and assembled I post another pic, this time complete.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. EnergyFX

EnergyFX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very nice. Thanks for posting this Ken. I have been planning to do this to my ToughPower 850. It's always nice to see/read about how others have done... even if you think you know what you're getting into.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  20. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Thanks and I enjoy posting mods. I know I'm not at the ranks of MK and many others but I enjoy modding as much as the next guy!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Very well done ...that is very clean and tidy looking.I know how hard it is to get them all done and the time it takes but well worth the effort.
    Now I will have to finish mine off...I started and done the 24pin but never got round to finishing the rest.
    kenkickr says thanks.
  22. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    It does take quite abit of time but I would definitely do this again without asking over engraving.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice job Ken, i think you just inspired me to do my indians case i'm building. I see you said 1/8 tubing do you have a total amount that you used. I'm heading to e-bay now. :laugh:

Again great job :toast:
    kenkickr says thanks.
  24. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I love it! Looks so nice and clean. Do mine next! :p
    kenkickr says thanks.
  25. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I believe I used about 150 ft of sleeving total but you have to remember the Corsair 750 has ALOT of cable to it. BrooksyX, if you send me the PSU and material I would gladly do the mod for ya.
    Crunching for Team TPU