1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

the stuff u have found on the side of the road

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by DR.Death, Nov 17, 2008.

1. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    well today on my walk home from school i found a perfectly working kds 17" monitor and a keyboard it was a mint find seance my other screen died on me and ma through it out here are some picts
    [​IMG]

so what have u guys found in your travels

2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I probably cant list it all. I did a whole lot of dumpster diving a few years ago. I have found Roomba's, whole PC's, 15 automatic cat litter boxes, mixers, shredders, coffee makers, the list goes on and on.

3. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya

4. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Lots of goodies.

Chris

5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Pron, lots of pron.

6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Dr. Death, my most recent find was a partially stripped PC. In it I found the Athlon T-bird currently in use by "Jennifer". My other find was a 21" NEC Multisync which died this past February, lasted me about 3 years.

7. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I have that beat. I found a dumpster full of Coors beer. I mean a dumpster FULL of it. Over 200 cans of beer. I also found cokes and sprites in that same dumpster a few nights later.

8. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found $600 with a rubberband around it near the grass on the side of an on-ramp to a freeway just a blowing that unmistakeable green and white greenback color in the wind. I don't know how OP's missed it. I always find money like that, but never $600 before.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  9. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    the best things I've gotten for free in the last 3 weeks are an eMachines PC that's only 2 years old, and the Starcraft Battle Chest, both from the 'Freecycle' Yahoo group here in my city. I was happy to get something useful for once, lol. Neat stuff I've found while walking around are tools, radios, and my old cat amongst other things... Dumpster diving pwns!

10. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya i am liking living here i get to get alot of cool stuff

11. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sounds like a good Yahoo group. I find lots of useable lumber for repairs and also firewood (but I don't have a fireplace where I am now), tools, small appliances, computer parts but mostly unusable, etc.

Chris

12. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    Seriously? Which freeway and exit? I'm curious if I've been in that area. (Not that I've lost $600)
    Things I've found though are two whole P2 machines (in '05) some PS1 games and a TV.

13. James1991

James1991 New Member

Thanks Received:
    nothing yet but it would be nice if a Core i7 CPU, x58 board and alot of DDR3 RAM fell off a truck and i found it:D

14. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Happened way back in about 1992 getting on northbound Lodge Freeway (10) from Warren or Forest, I forget which street now but near Wayne State U. Only about 2 miles west of where I once lived near Chene St. and Warren, a war zone in all honesty.

Found $20 between the double door entrance on the west side (Cass Ave. side) of the Detroit Public Library. People were going in and just walking over that poor old folded in half $20 bill. Found $20 bills a few times, as well as 10's and 5's, and maybe a $50 once but I am not sure about the 50 as it may have been a 20 and was looonngg ago.

One morning in my old carousing days, I woke up in a still half-inebriated stupor and went back to the tavern/bar I had been in the night before. However, it was a Sunday morning and the bar was not open yet. So, I stumbled back to my car and in doing so espied those unmistakeable greenback colors lying in the parking lot. Found a $5 and a couple of $1 bills, and upon further recon and examination of the area I found another $5 and some more $1 bills, about $15 total. So, me little brain computes a bit and I walk through the entire parking lot but didn't find anymore so I decided to go to a couple of more bars' parking lots and I found a few more $. Therefore, for a couple of months I would check out the parking lots of bars on Sunday mornings and had some very minor success. What was happenings was that inebriated people were pulling their keys out orf their pockets and in doing so also pulling out and dropping some $ on the ground. Inside of bars, people frequently slide money back into their pockets but miss their pockets, and I've done that but lucklily discovered what I had done and recovered my cash in a very crowded and dark bar about 0.5 hours after I dropped my $30 or so. A couple/few past friends of mine owned taverns/bars and they did find a lot of dropped cash insided their establishments over the years.

Lately I have not had any luck, but I pick up every penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and $ that I find. Always need spare change when paying for things at stores.

Chris

15. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Back in the 1970's I was in rush hour on the freeway and the back door of an armored car opened and some money did fall out and blew all over the place but I couldn't stop to pick any up. It was amazing. I think that was on northbound I-75 near Grand Bolulevard or Caniff exits in Detroit, somewhere around there.

Chris

16. James1991

James1991 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that is when you dont want a windscreen in your car so it can all just fly in:D

17. savor_of_filth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Road kill,lots of it..
    And a zeiss ikon contina (1940) I guess,I sold it to my friend,I got 25bucks,haha..

18. christof139 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never thought of it that way. Have to start following armored cars around as soon as I knock out my front window on my vehiKle. :rockout::wtf: oops.

Chris

PS: That's an old camera, something an old Foreign Legionaire would have.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    ive found nothing the uk sucks for finding bargains and free stuff
    i have heard of company givng free pcs away or selling them cheap to employees tho, thats when they upgrade

there might be some sort of pc recycling program in my constiuency

20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    the best thign is mates who have old stuff but then again they want cash for it :( even really old stuff

21. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    I've found a portable CD player, a 486 PC, a pair of PC speakers, a TV, a nice chair, and a Macintosh 5400 including OS 8 and a trackball. My parents made me throw out the Mac though... :(

22. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya i am living on my own now they use to do that to me its rather annoying

23. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was driving down the road one time and I swear I saw a money roll, so I turned around at the next light and on my second pass I saw there was someone pulled over climbing back into their car. I always wondered how much money it was

24. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    It was exactly 600$. :laugh:

25. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in picking up random trash like PII and PIII pc's, CRT monitors etc from the road before they get collected by the trash collectors! :eek: