1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Is the UK the most damn fine & dandy place to live?

1. Yes without a doubt

12.5%
  2. Yes but only with a cup of Earl Grey

16.7%
  3. Would be better with a half decent government

45.8%
  4. No it's crap!

25.0%
  1. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Profanity has it's place, I use it regularily but context rules, your point is put across just as well without it :p
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Come now, lets not be racist
  3. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Nice ultra modern building though, just a shitty journey each day :cry:
  4. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Work/Unemployment dilemma.

Now - Ive been given some good news. I have been offerd a job or at least a work trial working behind the bar at one of my through one of my mums contacts whose daddy aparently owns a huge massive business ranging from food and drink logistics, restaurants and some IT related stuff but theres a lot lot lot more then just that and i wont know how big the business is until i go and see them on Thursday.

I was first offerd a job in their logistics department delivering food/drink to restaurants but it appears that daddys girl wants to keep me away from doing hard labour.

Now ive done logistics before and id rather be doing the hard labour as they start before 9am and finish about 12pm.... BUT I have been taken away from that and I now have to learn how to mix drinks behind a bar.

I know youre thinking it sounds good. but it gets even worse - I have to do monday to saturday from 11am-11pm (72hrs p/w) but on a lighter note, they pay cash in hand. and because daddys girl recommended me to daddy i hit the ground running and start off with full pay while training.

NOW aparently there are loads of people that are trying to get this job, and secondly the boss doesnt let ANYONE work in this restaurant unless they are recommended to him. so the fact that hes willing to give me a chance to jump the que and get into it when there are loads of people fighting for the job is really something.

But i dont want to do a fucking 72hr week :cry: :cry: If i manage to drag it out for a year and kiss some butt along the way, i might be able to transfer to the IT side of the business.

but the 72hr per week hurdle still stands and i really dont want to put myself through this but at the same time. im unemployed and the fact that mum managed to get me a prized job through her contacts is again something that would be rude to turn down.

so its either waste my life being unemployed and having all the time in the world or i can kiss it all goodbye and waste it making drinks behind a bar and earn so much money i wont be able to enjoy it on my time off because id be too busy sleeping.

*sigh*

what a bridge to cross
  5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:

What are you doing now life wise?

Personally I say do it. Get the money, and more importantly get the experience. Saying you worked 70 hours a week in a busy bar to your next potential employer shows that you are a hard working motherfucker.
    KieX says thanks.
  6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Know anyone who can split the shifts with you?
    It's all about how you word it to girly's daddy.
    You can say "I'd like to halve the time with someone, as I want time to focus on a professional career." At that, he might consider you for a different role.

Or you could ask him: "Will working behind the bar hamper my chances of progressing up through the company?" That will gently let him know you're setting your sights high.
  7. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I'm a misanthrope, I had everyone.
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    On my pc all day lol

yes - I have a friend who wouldnt mind helping me out but the problem still stands as he didnt get a recommendation so wont get in.

I'l know more about the job when i go for a introduction this thursday. and i pray to many gods that it isnt 72hrs p/w otherwise I'l be burnt out within a month. - 72hrs p/w is some serious shit. Ive only managed 60hrs p/w before and by the 4/5th day work was sorta like a dreamland and i was floating around the place like a zombie half awake. I completely lost track of time and days. even though im used to doing 12hr shifts - 6days p/w doing it is too much for me
  9. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    72hrs p/w is savage. The most I've ever done was a 300 hour month. There was with a 50 hour shift in with that just for the giggles (2 days straight w/ sleep-in wage :D ) and I don't recommend it.
    Someone I used to live with worked at loads of bars, pubs and clubs, and he never left for work before 6pm. I think it might be crossed wires; 12 hour shifts are more common in warehouse/logistics roles so might be stray info about the other job floating around. I hope so for you, sounds like it could be a nice career oppurtunity.
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well its more of a bar in a restaurant. but we shall see on thursday. if it is 72hrs though I will need a serious think about if i should stay on and do it...while pouring myself some scotch from behind the bar
  11. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Quick advice guys.

Touching up my CV for an IT Techy position :D However, I've only ever had one smallish job. Should i list all the programs i know and my hardware knowledge?

Need to pack it out abit :(
  12. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    its good to list your experiences. but if its too much the employer might just not bother reading it and toss it straight in the bin
    MoonPig says thanks.
  13. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Man up Freedom, and do the 72hr/wk. At first its going to be tough, but I promise you that you will soon get used to it.
  14. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    How's this for a free upgrade, grabbed an i7 860 off ebay for £130 and sold my i5 760 on there for £130 too :toast:
  15. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Freedom, I was under the impression that it was illegal to work now for more than 46 hours per week, unless you had government exemptions (Police, Armed Forces, Fire, NHS etc)??

my advice for what it's worth..... give it a go, think of it as a trial, if things aint working out after a couple of months then at least you have some money in your pocket!
  16. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    You must sign an opt out form if you wish to work more than 48hrs a week afaik.
  17. HUSKIE

HUSKIE New Member

Thanks Received:
    F'ing OLD royal mail where are they?????
  18. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    List other skills that you can bring into the job. Did you do catering for example? Then you know how to organise your work space for maximum efficiency and also understand the dangerous of contaminating your food.

Think about what other things you have that you can apply to this job, and put them down. Even if it's just organisation, prioritising etc.
  19. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice:toast:I'm swapping out for an i5 2500k setup this weekend myself, albeit with slightly less graphical power but at no extra cost :D

I shall put a few benchies in for anyone that is interested.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  20. IndigoGoose New Member

Thanks Received:
    Quality thread guys
    This is why i'm proud to say i'm British
  21. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    All this talk of swapping & trading makes me want to move to mATX. I don't need much convincing mind, I've been wanting to go back to a SFF for a while now.

Before I do though, I'm going to mod some cable management holes into my Antec 300 and spray it all black.
  22. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once you go black there is no going back my man :eek::D
  23. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    All my rigs bar my first Shuttle have been black.

:rockout:
    LifeOnMars says thanks.
  24. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Thermaltake Soprano - White / Black
    Desk Mod V1 - Wood
    Antec 300 - Black / Grey
    Coolermaster CM690 - Black / Grey
    Desk Mod v2 - Black
    Coolermaster CM690 Pure Black - Black
    Desk Mod v3 - Black
    Corsair Obsidian 800D - Black
    Fractal Design Define XL - Black / White
  25. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Remember to keep it as only one page; if you need a proper hand chuck me a PM, I've done courses on CV writing and the info's still fresh in my head. The guidelines of CV writing change all the time (from an interviewer's perspective) so gotta keep it fresh.
    What you got listed for hobbies?