1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Im wondering if i can obtain better temps on this Kuhler...

Current setup...

[​IMG]

but im wondering.... What if i turned the fans on the kuhler around to pull air inside instead of exhaust??

another thing that might effect those temps is that my computer sits pretty close to a wall as my desk sits in an alcove. after an hour of BC2 i touch the bit of wall directly behind where my 6970 exhausts are and its real hot. so Im afraid if i do flip the fans to pull air into the the case then it will pull the hot air in from the GPU's too.

another thing thats stopped me doing it is the build up of dust inside my case, since that part wont be coverd by a dust filter unless i go out of my way to buy one.

Id like to hear your thoughts.

oh and that big square box at the bottom of the diagram is my PSU....I forgot to label it.

There are also 2 120mm fans pulling air into the case/over the hard drives from the front of the case. the 200mm fan is always set to medium unless its really hot as it gets pretty loud and makes the case start to 'whine' as it resonates with the plastic mesh in front. I think the 200mm runs around 800RPM@ medium settings

3. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    can you make it so the fan exhausts air upwards?

4. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    do i look like a guy who wants to get medieval on his case? :laugh::laugh:

5. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Wedding was in Latvia. We celebrated it 2 days about 55 guests i almost got all my money back i spent on wedding.All was filmed about 7.5h only first day and 1000+ photos was made.

6. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Glad you're back Arciks! Congrats on the marriage :toast:

You know what it looks like to me? The 200mm fan on the top of the case is stealing a lot of the available air from the Kuhler. You want the Kuhler to get the maximum amount of air it can.
    Try making the fan on the top of your case intake instead of exhaust and see what that does for your temps. And then try turning the fan off altogether and check results.

Afternoon everyone

7. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    trying this game here http://rustyhearts.perfectworld.com/download, looks good and it's free so i can't lose much by playing it

anyone else want to join me?

8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    changing the 200mm into an intake would royaly fuck up the airflow inside my case.

2x120mm+1x200mm intake -- 2x1850rpm typoons for exhaust = nuclear melt down.
    --------

But good point but i am already one step ahead of you. Remember i was telling you about my side panel mod??

[​IMG]

I completely removed the small panel where i can mount a 120mm fan and used some velcro tape and attached a dust filter there.

I couldnt use the 120mm fan mount anyway as the retention clips inside were getting in the way of the kuhler. with a 'gap' like that, the 200mm wont be choking the typhoons for air. I hardly run the 200mm at max anyway. it only does around 600rpm@47cfm. so theres good air flow inside my case after the small mod.

I did switch the 2 GT's around and used it as an intake but results were anywhere short of disastrous compared to when the fans were facing the other way. members here just dont seem to understand how hot 2x6970s get at full load and when those 2 room heaters are roarin' anyone standin behind them will be left with severe burns. and thats literally what happened here.

the hot hair from the 2 6970s got sucked into the kuhler when the fans were acting as intakes and they just funneled the hot air from the GPUs back into the case.

9. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    *rant* why does BBC Iplayer desktop take 60mb to play Radio 1 ? That's just crazy. Probably better then opening a browser for it, but still. Sort it out BBC!

*/rant*

ps.

10. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    saw that, didn't see the point, i get 50fps in BC2, i get bad K/D because i'm bad at it. not because there's 0.0001 Second lag from C1E that's compleatly overshadowed by the ping time

still, i read it all the way through, i'd already done most of the things it reccomends anyway

Why would you use the desktop iplayer client?, unless you spend most of your time offline there's no point to it?

i just use the online thing and i have no problem on my 5Mb, even if other people are on the network at the same time

11. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use the desktop IPlayer client because I like to have music playing in my games on top of the SFX :) So I have it playing ALL the time !

12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I Just leave chrome open:laugh:

13. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I know it might seem like it'll f*ck up the airflow, but we all know that air doesn't react how we want it to inside a case. You've got to be willing to try new (and sometimes silly sounding) things to get results, trial and error style.

Personally, I don't think it'll mess up the airflow. The bottom half of the case is sorted; in from the front and out from the back (GPU exhaust).
    But the top of the case looks like it has has no air to exhaust, so IMO the top fan + the kuhler are gagging for air.
    Easiest way is to just try turning the 200mm fan off and see what happens to CPU temps. If they're lower, then try turning the fan round.

14. Broom2455

Broom2455

Thanks Received:
    Fans and Kuhler 920

Originally Posted by FreedomEclipse View Post
    changing the 200mm into an intake would royaly fuck up the airflow inside my case.
    2x120mm+1x200mm intake -- 2x1850rpm typoons for exhaust = nuclear melt down.

Just a thought , have you tried running it the same way I do my H50. ?
    My H50 rad is in the front of my case above the DVD drive running push/pull so pulling from the front of the case. All I have done is put the screws in the rad and used cable ties and doing this it dropped my temps by 5 degrees.

Hope this gives you an idea

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  15. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    Thats a very good idea!
    It also avoids alot of the dust buildup if the case is on the floor.

I tried a similar thing but iinstead of the p/p watercooling all i did was to form some corrugated plastic in a squared funnel to lead to the HSF directing some cool air there as the HSF was getting the hot air off the back of the upper GPU,
    which stole most of the cool lower intake's air.
    I hope that made sense..

16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    cant run the rad in front. I have 3 hard drives and 1 SSD. and due to how small this case is and how big the graphics cards are. I cant shift stuff around like i would like to.

Either I run with the rad in front and lose 2 or 3 hard drives or i just leave it as is

17. Broom2455

Broom2455

Thanks Received:
    Ok, just a thought :)

18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Its a real tight fit inside this case. Even the 6970s wont go inside unless they are at an angle. theres just not a lot of space to move this around.

Broom2455 says thanks.
  19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    If you change the cooler to pull air into the case it will just suck in the rising heat from the gpu exhaust.
    All i can think off is more intake from the front of the case since you already did the side panel mod. Not much you can do to increase airflow in that case.

20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Not a lot to be done unless i take it around the back of the yard and give it a blast with one of these

[​IMG]

which will most likely result in me needing to pay for a new case anyway (obviously id strip all my gear out before shooting at the case)

21. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    my M59 is similar

22. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Whaddya reckon?
    EVGA GTX 570 for £195.00 yay or nay? hopefully I can resell my 470 for £150 ish

23. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Depends where from...
    £150 seems too steep for a 470 - I just paid £115 for mine and it was only 3 months old.

24. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    really? the prices seem to have gone up again recently from what I have been googling and ebaying the last few days, though not sure why.

25. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Well, I did get mine from a TPU member so that's probably why it was cheap. You'd no doubt get more on the bay for it.
    Where are you planning on getting the 570 from? Not one of the OCUK refurb's I hope :laugh: