1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Is an independant Scotland going to be bad for the remainder of the Un-United Kingdom?

Poll closed Saturday at 6:55 PM.
  1. Yes without a doubt it would have serious social/economic repercussions

37.5%
  2. Yes but only a marginal effect

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No not at all but would prefer we remain intact anyway

25.0%
  4. No not at all, they can do whatever they want, we will be better off without them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Does anyone outside of Scotland really care anyway?

37.5%
  1. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Sansun Black 600W single rail you can have, it's my spare just in case things go "BANG", it is a budget unit but not bottom of the pile (in fact it's fairly decent), used for a couple of months only about 3 years ago, it only has 32 Amps I think but looking at your system it would/should be more than enough, like any of them it is heavy though, for the cost of postage (prob a tenner because of the weight) I would let you have it, good deed of the day, free apart from postage.

2. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    thanks, but i'm not entirely sure on that, with the amount of things i've had to return under warranty this year, i think i might buy whatever i can find that has the longest warranty

look at it this way, i'm on my second motherboard, when it arrives, i'll be on my third HTC wildfire, i'm on my second goldring headphones, second pair of sennheiser headphones, my mouse is also on the way out i think, and these are all things that have happened this year

things just keep braking, (although occasionally it's my fault, like the wildfire)

interestingly i might stick to sony tech from now on where i can, because it never seems to brake, i'm currently listening to a 40 year old stereo system, and yesterday someone pulled the cable on my playstation and it dropped nearly 3 meters and suffered no damage whatsoever, when i filled my psp up with water, it still worked when i dried it out, i could carry on for a while like that

if there were sony PSU's i would probably buy them based on how reliable all their other stuff is, as such

does anyone know what PSU's are, in general, the most reliable

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Corsair = 7 year warranty on psu's

4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    shit it is coming tomorrow whilst im in france...

5. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    sold, was going to buy a thermaltake but the brand did some things that put me off them a bit, but 7 year warranty = win in my view

EDIT:the ones with 7 years look to be a bit too expensive

call the postal company and tell them to hold it for a day or 2

6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Should have used Libre Office old man.

I might make a thread but any reason why i should keep Silverlight plugin installed? Same with Java i thought i needed it but Scaminatrix says hes never needed it.

@ Cheesy if you have money to spend get a Corsair TX V2, ive got the original TX and it does the job brilliant, plenty of amps.

7. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have owned loads of PSU's, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, OCZ blah blah, and the best, most reliable and longest lasting is the one I have now, I have had it for 3 years, run XFire and SLi several times and it is faultless, but more importantly we have a Thermaltake Support rep and sub forum here so issues should be resolved painlessly and swiftly.

8. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    well i looked at all the other brands, but in the end thermaltake seem to be the best price/features and power, so i'm looking at this Thermaltake 575W Toughpower XT Modular PSU | Ebuye..., because it's only £5 more then a non moduler, and has many more features then OCZ, corsair etc

i checked that one over with the thermaltake rep a month ago or so, in case it came to this, and allthough i've seen some things i don't particularly like from thermaltake, i think i'll go for it, now all i have to do is get the money, luckily, as i said before

9. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:

Just a bad day at the office. Workin' in IT is great if you don't have to deal with people, unfortunately I do. Hundreds of them.

10. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    just remember, if it wasn't for the idiots you'd have no job

where do you work, as in, what company, i just noticed intel have a UK branch dealing with designing etc intel atom proccesors earlier today, that could be an intresting job

11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    You changed your mind rather quick there.

12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Price vs performance overrides every other factor

and it was never going to stop me going with thermaltake, just put me off them a bit, if another company could offer me a comparable power supply for a simlar price i would take it but as it happens thermaltake are the cheapest

EDIT:Sainsburys are putting ipod docks on their trolleys http://www.itproportal.com/2011/08/30/sainsburys-shopping-trolleys-get-ipad-docking-station/:banghead:

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    So you take price over performance, for me its a combination as i cant afford top hardware and i dont really like buying pricey hardware. Just look at my specs for an idea of the stuff i tend to go for. Also really depends what's available at the time.

I dont mind Toughpowers other Thermaltake stuff nah.

14. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Well price vs performance is sometimes a win factor when it comes to general electronics like a TV for example.
    I mainly buy based on performance and factor in budget too,which is why i have an i3 and GTX460 lol.

15. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Regardng PSU's:
    I've owned:
    HX620 (dead)
    Antec TPQ850 (also dead)
    HX650 (makes loud ticking noise and runs hotter than I would like - I don't think it'll outlive it's 7 year warranty)
    TT Toughpower 750 (I'm just about to receive it - but it's suspected to be dying as it's eaten hardware)

I've googled these PSU's and they all have the same-ish problems surrounding them. Also, guess what I've found? They're all multi-rail PSU's. The best PSU I've ever owned was a Toughpower 750 EVO_Blue. It was a single-rail PSU and it was silent, cool-running and reliable. I've sold it now, which I regret.

Long story short - cheesy, if you want a good, reliable PSU, I would say to go for a single-rail one and to avoid the multi-rail ones.

If I had a chance to get my old PSU back, I'd gladly replace my brand spanking new 7-year warranty HX650 for my old EVO_Blue, just for the coolness, lack of ticking noises and the single-railness.

If anyone has any broken mid/high-end PSU's, please let me know through PM what make and model as I'm trying to get a better idea on the difference in reliability between multi and single-rail PSU's :)

16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I remember a few years ago everyone wanted multi rail PSU now they all want single rail. Just shows how things change, i think the idea was that you could supply separately to each component but a lot of people prefer the stability of a single rail.

Well the Corsair TX 650W V2 i had recommended is single rail but yeah its about £60-70 worth it though i would think as the time the warranty runs out i think its 5 or 7 years then well you'd be wanting a new psu by then anyway.

17. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I think some people just don't know how to "use" multi-rail PSU's. AFAIK you've got to know which connections are for which rails. Otherwise you're going to load all your HDD's and your GPU/s through one rail, and the other rails get left doing nothing.

But then, that doesn't explain why my brand new HX650 started ticking the moment I fitted it.

I've never like the multi-rail ones but I always thought it was just a preference of mine. Now I see it as an important choice when I'm choosing a PSU for my rig.

18. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Lot of people always recommended single rail to me for PSU.

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    my HX1050 is a single rail.

20. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    A little late but i been busy....
    on the subject of ssd's - kingstons sata II 96gb models are available for £89 on ebuyer,not refurbs though so they come with a 3 year warranty.

21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I can match that look.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/kin...-230-180-mb-s-79-99-3-99-del-dabs-com/1005770

EDIT: Im still looking for a new mobile, cant seem to find a nice contract on a Samsung Galaxy SII i could get a HTC sensation but i just dont really want one.

22. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    I think i am going to get an iphone 4,the backlights gone on my old n97 and much as i love the phone my renewal is soon so it wont be any more expensive than my current tarrif.
    I reckon i could batter tham down on the price a bit if i can be bothered with all the waffle.
    I'd sooner have another of my phone but ofcourse they have long been discontinued.

About the SSD:between reading it and coming here i got the price mixed up :laugh
    It's £83.43 w/free shipping.:Kingston 96GB V+100 2.5" SATA-II SSD - Read.. | Eb...
    therefore i win :D
    by a gnats...

I just lost big though.
    I was super-glueing something back together for my kid and must have spilt some on the computer desk..
    and i just went to move my leg to write this up as i was slouching on the desk and tore my trousers :banghead:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    KieranD says thanks.
  23. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    So I decided to go to tesco's and get some more vodka, while there I grabbed an meat feast pizza and fancied some chilli to put on top, so me being me decided to get some bad ass chilli and came across "Naga Jolokia" formerly the world's hottest chilli pepper (2007) and thought, fuck yea, I will have some of that shit..........

Fuck a duck!!!! I chopped them, then licked my fingers and my mouth burned for 20 mins, still put 2 of the fuckers on the pizza, have had one slice so far and no shit my mouth is burning hotter than the fires of hell lmao these are serious chillies for anyone who is really into spicey food, the vodka ice and diet coke is helping but really cannot forget to wash my hands before I visit the loo cause these are like nothing I have tried before lol :cry::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:

24. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Damn man, lucky you were wearing trousers - coulda been reaaaal nasty!

Hahaha my mate was gonna rub that stuff in his eyes until he was warned about it! Now that would have been funny...

25. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Diet Coke is based on the same recipe as New Coke from the 80s, people like Diet Coke yet nearly everyone hated New Coke, AH I HATE PEOPLE why do they like Diet if New was so shit? Coca Cola Zero is just based on regular Coca Cola that's why it doesn't taste like shit even though people think its just marketing that diets for females, zero for men and young adults when its not they are different recipes.

I wonder what Crystal Pepsi and Pepsi Clear where like? NVM

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011