1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Is the UK the most damn fine & dandy place to live?

1. Yes without a doubt

14.3%
  2. Yes but only with a cup of Earl Grey

19.0%
  3. Would be better with a half decent government

47.6%
  4. No it's crap!

19.0%
  1. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    how much did they cost?

Links down

If you want i have a link to a 7200RPM 2TB for £65 and it comes with a free 4GB memory stick
  2. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Gut rot lol
  3. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Better then premium grade dog piss
  4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't want any HDD's sorry, I have about 8 here, I have buyers for the 5 I just bought, £10 profit on each one for me :toast:
    cheesy999 says thanks.
  5. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    bought 2x 2TB in the last few days for £80 each, not bad considering when I sell one, will make my money back off it and maybe £20 plus £40 each for 2x 500gb drives I'm trading in and I have got a nice shiny 2Tb drive for fook all :toast:
  6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Ive had some nasty whisky in my time, High Commissioner its like drinking petroleum yet the flavour is extremely watery.

EDIT: Im tempted to cash in on the high price of hard drives but i got no buyers.
  7. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    £11 for 70cl - I class that as cheap whisky. You want something like Johnny Walker - black label, or Chivas Regal....then theres your usual like Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. I can usually polish off almost a whole bottle by myself in a few hours and still be able to walk home. :toast:

though, I'll admit. Whisky is an aquired tasted and not for everyone. but I love the stuff

I could do with another TB, but Im waitin on an SSD
  9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't like whiskey myself. Friends told me that if you want to drink whiskey, you have to either go for the good stuff or not drink at all, is that true?
  10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Depends who youre drinking with id say. If you got a lot of friends around then you gotta break out the good stuff. If not then even a £10 bottle from Aldi will do, Aldi do some good stuff, but you can obviously taste the difference. Its not bad if youre drinking by yourself though, stuff will still get your drunk.
  11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Nah, vodka and coke (diet) all the way for me, don't like whiskey at all, it knocks me sick, the only thing remotely close to whiskey I like is Southern Comfort, I could drink that straqight on ice all day long :toast:
  12. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    On a different note, installed COD2 last week for the first time in a long time and am caining it and really enjoying it too, I think COD1 is next, can't beat the oldies :toast:
  13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    you might need to download a small file to get the game running.

the game works but not in widescreen - you need to hack the .ini files to get widescreen support.

secondly the file i was talking about fixes a problem with the graphic cards. when joining servers I always used to get kicked before i entered due to a rendering error because PCI-E cards are so much more advanced then the old AGP cards that people were running back in the day when it was out.

I have this file somewhere on my hard drive but its buried somewhere.

Lastly.... Asus Xonars [​IMG] the game. Even with Creatives hacked Alchemy and the Xonars GX feature turned on. the game would just Echo like fuck and carry on echo'ing until it overloads the buffer and crashes the game. there is no fix for this other then using a creative card or running everything in Miles 2D audio which is great. but its not surround sound
  14. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Conventional wisdom tells me that you should not offer good stuff to the masses, they drain your wallets fast, unless you share the costs.

Going to stick with my "women" drinks, like cider, Baileys and other easier to drink stuff.
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    "Johnny Walker - black label, or Chivas Regal.... Jack Daniels or Jim Beam." ROFL

Blends can be okay for the price other times its just firewater and gut rot.
    Freedom will know but for anyone else blended whisky is a blend of different malt whiskies
    and grain whiskies, its usually cheap. (blends used to be the bread and butter, only now
    are single malts really at the forefront)

Blended whisky is more for mixing with soda/cola ect but better blends can be sipped;
    use a rather cheap blend when mixing because the flavour gets diluted anyway.
    Single malts are more for people who want to have a taste experience or are really into whisky;
    these you drink neat or with a tiny bit of water to "open" the whisky as they say.

I wouldn't break open a single malt for getting drunk on, I would just buy a blend for that.
    Single malts are more for tasting. Never pay more for a blend than a single malt, that's the
    problem with say Johnnie Walker Black Label sometimes they can be as expensive as a cheap
    malt.

Johnnie Walker is a bit overated imo, its more of a brand and name than anything else.
    Its nice and certainly does the job its just the price you have to watch for. Churchill and
    Richard Nixon where pretty famous Johnnie Walker drinkers. Black and Green Label are nice
    for sipping as far as a blends go but the Blue Label is totally over rated. Green Label is all
    blended malts and Black Label is a combination of malt and grain whiskies.
    Greens better but for a blend Black Label is a nice sipping whisky.

Single malt is difficult for some people to get into as it has a lot of different styles;
    Irish whiskey tends to be smooth.

Blends like Chivas Regal and Johnnie Walker are mass marketed.
    Mainly its people who dont really taste whisky but want a whisky brand to stick too.
    Jack D is okay its a bit like firewater so you have to mix it, depends on if its on special offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e3eBU_6oz0&feature=relmfu
    This guy Ralphy does good whisky reviews, i learnt a lot from his videos.
    I've been reading The Scotch Whisky Book by Mark Skipworth it goes into detail about distilling and the history of whisky,
    the different types of whisky in Scotland,
    half the book has notes with pictures of various whiskies some are not in production anymore.

EDIT: Ive tried to edit that down and format the text, i had to just hit return key to get the paragraph sizes right. I wish you could do that in the edit function. You get lines that are massive if you write a paragraph depending on screen size and res.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  16. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    What is it with all the stupid ass tags in BF3? do i get special tags for dancing a jig on a tank?
  17. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    lol guess ill be finding out soon, my copy was posted yesterday by Tesco. Used a fiver off code and 8% quidco cash back.
    Millennium says thanks.
  18. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    Black Absinthe all the way strong :D
    no messing with countless pints and running to the toilet every twenty minutes once you 'broke the seal'
  19. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Currently I have (access to) Glenfidditch 12,15,18 years and JW Black Label. I take it as the Glenfidditch 18 years old single malt is the best? Tried JW, didnt like it. Taste too much like drinking ignited charcoal, but then again I am not used to drinking things higher than 20%.
  20. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The older whisky like the 18 year old have had a longer time to develop in the barrel and might be a bit softer on the finish (alcohol and barrel flavour has more time to mature) but the flavour also changes over time, you'd be surprised. Try the 12 and 18 Glenfiddich first as they make the 15 year old differently. I cant remember trying it but its supposed to be easy to drink; you might taste wood from the barrel, a bit of peat and/or citrus. More flavours seep from the barrel into the whisky the older it gets, you get fruit on the 18 year old and not really on the 12 but start with the younger one and work your way up.

If you pour whisky over ice it will shock the flavour oils effecting the taste, this is fine on a harsh blend where the ice works to calm down the edge but a dash of water works as well without "shocking" the drink. If you dont like Black Label neat why not try it over ice or with water? (just dont use to much otherwise dilutes the drink). I personally dont like whisky over ice, i drink everything neat because ive just developed a weird taste for it.

With malt whisky try it without water try it with some, older whisky too much water can kill the flavour and younger stuff you can get away with adding a little more. With older 18 and 21 year old malts your paying for the flavour, might turn out you just dont like the flavour of whisky i mean i cant stomach the taste of wine.
    Fourstaff says thanks.
  21. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    personally I am a Brandy and Malt Whiskey fan, Courvoisier for the Brandy and Carhdu for the malt, in amongst the odd lager of course :rockout:
  22. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Like MM, I prefer the Absinthe. Green one for me, 5/6 water, 1/6 absinthe with a teaspoon of sugar lightly caramelised. B.E.A.Utiful
  23. MightyMission

MightyMission

Thanks Received:
    paah green you lightweight :) but yea wicked stuff is that haha many a night teetering on the brink of insanity due to my favourite tipple!
    The semi caramelised sugar sounds like a nice angle,i'm going to place an order with my czech friend for some restocking so i can give it a go..
    i'l pm my digits so you can shoot over the transfer details mate-i could have done it today but i'm still a bit lean from yesterdays antics :roll:
  24. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Craft Lagers are nice like St Mungo or Harvistouns Schiehallion but bugger those macro lagers like Carling, 2 good beer breweries are Innis and Gunn and Orkney probably to much flavour for your average lager boy.

Talisker is nice Single Malt btw. Monkey Shoulder is a nice Blended Malt whisky.
  25. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Ok will try from the youngest and work my way up then. And with ice to start off.