1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

?

Is the UK the most damn fine & dandy place to live?

1. Yes without a doubt

14.3%
  2. Yes but only with a cup of Earl Grey

19.0%
  3. Would be better with a half decent government

47.6%
  4. No it's crap!

19.0%
  1. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok gave Virgin a call, and they told me they don't supply any router other than the crappy DGN1000, suggestions please!
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Thats bullshit right there....

They supplied my neighbour with a D-link router - Even though it looks really really cheap and shit and weighs less then a pint. they still gave her one.

And i know they gave her one. because those fags didnt bother configuring it properly for her and i had to go in there. set it all up for her.
  3. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    OBVIOUSLY BEFORE YOU TOOK A SWIG, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH i did read your posts.
    When did your neighbour get their D Link Router? if it wasnt that recent im thinking maybe all they supply now is the DGN1000.
    Also could be some chap that was on the phone that doesn't have a clue or isn't really interested.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    if they have an american accent put the phone down and call again, they are most likely indian.... In which case they will never give you anything for free as they feel it is coming out of their pockets!
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I expected her to move but she didnt (re-read original post)

last week
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    The only way I have been able to get through to an UK virgin rep is instead of choosing support/billing etc choose I am thinking of leaving Virgin, sure enough the first time I did that whaddya know I got through to someone in the UK who didn't sound like they reading some kind of crappy generic script, also got my issue sorted and didn't leave them :)
  7. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    First one was some Indian girl (with an Indian accent so strong that I can smell curry from here), the next one is some Northern Brit which knows his shit. He told me that Virgin only supply the shitty DGN1000, even when I offer to pay. :ohwell:
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    the new router they supply is the 'D-Link DIR-615' they gave one to my neighbour and theres further documentation of Virgin switching their Netgears for D-Links >HERE< the move happend around august time according to that thread.

googling 'Virgin D-link DIR-615' brings up a lot more hits

so I think its safe to say they are bullshitting when they claim not to supply anything else other then just a netgear router.

though, It might be possibly down to what sort of package you have with them.
    My neighbour has the full works - cable TV, telephone & broadband. so what they give or allocate to you could be based on that. though its stupid they wont give you something better even though you offer to pay for it.

Its cool though...Just go to amazon or PCworld and pickup a cable/adsl router/modem for yourself and configure it.

If youre having trouble with getting the correct settings then call up their support and if they refuse to help you. cancel and go with another provider who is willing to help.
    Fourstaff says thanks.
  9. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    I only have phone and 5-8Mbps broadband, they told me that digging up London is a pain in the ass, if I don't get cable/fiber in London already planning issues is going to delay it for years. So, yeah, I don't qualify as a "good customer", maybe that is the reason why they ignored me :/

Yes, I want a new ADSL2+ router, but I need suggestions :D
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Nah Freedom what you did was assume she would move, you reap what you sow, your fault.

I would watch because if your still into a contract they might try and charge you the remainder or a cancellation fee, tbh it seems Virgin will let you configure your own router your best doing what you originally planned and buying a new one.
  11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Not at all. Its all common sense (or the lack of in this case it seems) why stand so close to the ONLY sink in the room when i ask to rinse my mouth???

to me what youre saying is as ilogical as someone playing chicken on a busy/packed dual carrageway. (the chicken represents the dentist's assistant) So.... youre speeding along the busy dual carrage way and some idiot is playing in traffic and you accidently clip him, not enough to kill him or do any serious damage, but enough to break a rib or 2, maybe some brusing or broken bones.

Whose fault is it? Yours because you should have rolled down the window and shouted at the idiot to get out of the way or the idiot's for playing on the dual carrageway???

And you CANT swerve the car out of the way because the carrage way is packed and to move would cause you to hit other cars which causes a bigger accident and possibly more fatalies - so that is not an option

Not everyone is as thick as shit as you take them to be.
  12. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers
    Seems that finding recommendations for wireless routers is difficult.

D-Link DSL-2740R?

EDIT: Your analogy doesn't make sense, someone playing in traffic is stupid is fuck and the driver has no choice because they cannot pre empt in that situation where as you had that option before hand. Who did i say was as thick as shit? I said it was your fault for not telling her to move, can i rinse is not the same as im going to rinse, can i rinse is a question not a notion for her to move.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Fourstaff says thanks.
  13. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Not the Dlink DSL-2740R, there are a lot of reports saying that it drops connection every so often.
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    My analogy makes perfect sense. and yes - she was 'stupid is fuck' for standing in the way. Hello??? Only sink in the room? Can I rinse my mouth?

Im not gonna spit it out over the floor am I??? - Like i said, its common sense. and if you cant see that then youre even worse then her IMO. its a clear open and shut case. I dont need to tell her to move - she should have moved anyway.

Or are you going to turn this argument around and say that i lack the common decency or manners to ask? because the way youre going on about it bro, you might as well add that to the list
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    To me "Can i rinse" is asking a question not a motion for someone to get the fuck out of the way. "Im going to rinse" well that is a warning. I already explained that and your fixated on the fact you could say anything with the pink rinse shit in your mouth when im not actually saying that is wrong im saying BEFORE you took a drink you could have checked.

Nah man you obviously didn't care whether she was in the way or not otherwise you would have checked and told her before you took a rinse.

Its your fault for getting her wet. Anyway how the fuck did you spit that out and manage to spit on someone? She must've been in your face or something.
  16. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Well, if she is working in the dentist she should know that people spit the water out when they rinse their mouth, so if she had any amount of brains at all she should move back when you are told to rinse. Not your fault that she is an utter idiot.

I am not sure how to comprehend this.
    Millennium and FreedomEclipse say thanks.
  17. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    149 days without my dear i7 monster... So, i'm getting back into the scene. Got me an i5 760, Asus P7P55D-E and 4GB G-Skill ECO on the way.

Anyone want to offer me some brilliant deals? ;)
  18. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Why didn't you go Sandybridge? Cheap deal or something?
  19. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    MoonPig did you have any luck on the hexus forums? I saw your wanted post there. I'm still trying to get to 100 posts to get to the good stuff :)

And BTW there are still some good deals out there for 2.5" 1TB drives if you are lucky, and you dont mind running a laptop drive in that new system...
  20. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I need any 320GB SATA HDD to replace with an SSD i have spare.

Could you have found me an SB setup for £55? ;)
  21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Budget lol. Got one im sticking too for myself, to many 2600k deals and i dont want one i want a 2500k. Should have got the aria special when it was £150.
  22. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  23. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Dunno but i think VLC might.
  24. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    In VLC i can acess other network places however i want the reverse, i want the PS3 to play the AAC files on my computer instead of just the MP3's WMP supports

And is that a new avatar you have?
  25. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    then Im not sure about the PS3 thing then (as i dont have one)

and yeah its a new avi