1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    thats actually better then waiting for play.com to sell for 11.99

but obviously i gotta factor in the cost of p&p and it works out 16p cheaper per license if you bought from ebuyer.

gonna have a little sit and think about that before i commit to buying anything

3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    ebay boys, grab a 2009 or 2010 edition, they upgrade out of the box to 2012 and are dirt cheap. i get mine from there....
    only morons pay for the newest ones... i have 4 from 2009 that are all this year.

4. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    did search for 2009 and 2010 - their all about the same price as amazon and play.com

Theres only 1 2010 on auction for £10+£2 P&P which is pretty much play.com on a good day - I bought 3 box's (1 box = 3 users) for that price. so unless you get it at around £8 per box or less everything else is just the same.

:EDIT:

and im also talking about I.S here, not AV, I can see AV's are cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Also Ive manged to get in touch with Seagate and that Spinpoint F1 that vibrates more then a dildo is being replaced with a 750Gb Barracuda. no idea if its the 7200.11 or 7200.12 but i have read some bad horror stories about the 7200.11.....Aparently the first few batches had bad firmware that would cause it to brick within days, weeks or months of use.

Seagate have made it clear that any drive they send back is a refurb and them being seagate....I think i will put it up on ebay with my 2 6970s....

Id rather sell the hard drive at a loss then live with the fact that i could lose all my data at any time when the drive packs up.

6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    ah sorry, I use AV.

Play will be cheaper in that case...

7. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    ya muppet :slap:

8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I have a 500gb Seagate 7200.11 32mb cache and its dying (out of warranty). Its making click sounds and sometimes wont be recognised. I only have a few ISO and movie files which i can transfer over because it does work sometimes but i need a drive to do that as the Sammy F1 i have wont be enough. Sucks as a 1tb is still bat shit expensive.

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I feel bad that samsung f**ked me over on that last RMA, but i kinda guessed they were in a rush to handover the business to Seagate. Its like they grabbed whatever crap they had lying around on the floor, stuffed it in a jiffy bag and sent it back to me.

and now that Seagates the man in charge im gonna be f**ked over a second time on build quality/reliability. not to mention their 1year warranty :shadedshu:shadedshu

Im gonna have to sell a few litres of snake oil with this thing too when i throw it up on ebay

10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a shame, I just off loaded five 640GB F4's, I bought them just before the floods for £42 each and sold them at the weekend for £100 each :toast: Had I known, i would have let you have one at cost + 10% ;)

11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Ive been using an old Sammy F1 750gb for a while now but the storage drive is a problem, hopefully it wont finally kick the bucket till sometime drives are a much lower price. I dont know if im just being cynical but i dont think hard drive manufacturers will ever let drives get as low again, sort of just take advantage of the situation to keep prices high for as long as possible.

12. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    If i still had my power of foresight, i would've bought sooooo many drives before this flood and sold them all now. I'd be rich, i tell ya, RICH.

13. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know why they don't sell laptop bases as stand alone PCs?

14. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again Captain hindsight! That would we do without you! :laugh:
    :roll:

Southpark is genius :D

MoonPig says thanks.
  15. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    'barebone laptops' was a craze that never really took off.... sure there were quite a few companies that were doing it for a while. Even MSI did it and allowed people to order laptop parts directly from them but i think it was just overly too complicated for everyday people as the hardware enthusiast makes up such a small percentage of the market. you could still probably do it. but most of the companies that did do it probably arent doing it anymore.

Last time i heard about someone attempting to do it, he was making all these phone calls to manufacturers to find out if he could source parts from them, but most of them either told him no or just never called him back.

16. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mean a build it yourself laptop

i just meant a laptop with no screen attached

Would be much better then a tablet PC, just walk around and plug it in to whatever TV/Monitor is nearby

17. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Never heard of anything like that, Only barebone laptops, some manufacturers shipped the chassis with a screen and some didnt

Plus people tend to want screens on their laptops otherwise they would class it as broken.

Its a bit of a silly idea if you ask me and i could never see something like that making much money at all.....

the general concept exists though. but they call them 'nettops' they are literally netbooks that have been shoved inside a case around the size of a DVD Trilogyboxed set that you need to hook up like a small pc - it doesnt have its own keyboard or mouse, but you can buy one of them 'all-in-one' keyboards that are small & compact which has a trackpad on it to move the mouse around.

18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Just got a better Sub a pioneer 110w, boy does my system sound good now.

19. KeAnS

KeAnS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone want to buy an nautica watch here:

20. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Going Sandy again on Monday, going the cheapo mobo route but yet to decide on one.

21. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Anyone here running a Corsair Force 3 SSD, specifically the 120GB? I'm hovering over the purchase button.

22. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I decided to go for the Agility3 60GB over the Force3 as it was on a little discount at the time. However, from what i've read, the Force3 drives are the better ones.

23. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    heard good things about that one
    i saw a cheap muskin one on aria i think. looked quite good. 180gb i think for £130 or something
    Im still on a Vertex 2e which is empty still!

24. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I missed a buy it now for a Corsair H70 which was in really good condition, £50+postage. Im looking for a new cpu cooler, im thinking of buying something in the £20-45 range like a half decent air cooler. No idea what to get tho.

I noticed a lot of places are doing SSDs for £1=1GB

25. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    My mate just bought an OCZ Vertex 3 60GB and a Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 for £102 (I think) shipped from Amazon and he couldn't be happier. Except for the f*cking gay sticker they give you with the SSD. They could supply a nice square plush label like other manufacturers, but instead they give some piece of sh*t that no-one in their right mind would stick on their case.
    /rant

But anyway; he specifically got this cooler because it mounts on AM3 and blows the air towards the rear fan on the case; instead of either up towards the top or down towards the GPU. I know you're running AM3 so this may help your decision. Three coolers that I know of that have this mounting ability out of the box:
    Deepcool Ice Matrix 400
    Xigmatek Gaia SD1283
    Zalman CNPS10X Performa

And the Thermalright TRUE, but I'm unsure whether the new models come with the right bracket. I've had 3 TRUE 120's, only 1 came with the right fitting for the rear airflow.

KieranD says thanks.