1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The TPU UK Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by mullered07, Aug 13, 2008.

1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    you are better off messaging Tatty_One the moderator to get your name added. Mullered hasnt been around for a while now.

On a more positive note, Im finally off the dole!

got a crappy job in security but its the first job offer Ive had in a long while and even though I might not like it, a job is a very precious thing to have during these poor economic times.

With money coming in I can start the upgrade train rolling again so here are my plans.

1. get a pair of GTX680's (£600'ish)
    2. get a nice case for watercooling - Corsair 800D (£200'ish)
    3. Watercool said GTX680's & CPU with custom waterloop. (£300-400'ish)
    4. Get 27" catleap monitor (£300)
    5. get onkyo 5.1 setup (£300-500ish depending on which model)
    6. kick back and rock the fuck out. (Pric£less)

Ive decided that Im still gonna keep my 2500k. at 4.9Ghz, theres no real reason for me to upgrade it. so that alone saves me about £300-400 as i keep the same CPU and mobo.

Im basically looking at 3-4 months hard work to make all this happen. at the same time I'll be selling my Xonar STX and also the 6970's to recover a little of the cost. which I think would most likely knock another £300-400 off, maybe more depending on how much the 6970s are worth nower days. Im thinking probably around £160-180'ish???

2. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Sell me both HD6970s for £50 each :p

Basically what i'm doing too. Getting an FT02 and i 'might' put a loop in it. Might be Project time again...

3. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Get the catleap first. HONEST. Amazing things.
    Also, don't spend all your money at once! Savings are awesome, and you can always spend them later.

Also I agree about the 2500k, I'm skipping at least one generation too. Unless another Amazon £150 3570k deal comes up.

4. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    youre gonna have to do some 'special' favors to get it for that price!

[​IMG]

Seriously though, If you are interested in taking them then we will definitely talk when the time comes :toast: just not for £50 each though :laugh::laugh:

well... Im most likely gonna be taking things slowly, there are things that need to be paid for and sorted out first before I start working on upgrades. money borrowed from friends and family need to be paid off first. Watercooling alone is probably gonna be the thing that costs the most as water blocks for 680's are around £100 which is ridiculous imo but I will need 2 of those before I look at the rest of the peices for the waterloop.

the cat leap will most likely come first. the Onkyo 5.1 setup will come second, by that time it will most likely be near christmastime, Corsair are coming out with a new 'Godzilla' pc case that should knock some £££ off the 800D, 680's should be cheaper too! though Im also waiting to see what Nvidia come out with, the watercooling kit will most likely be last on the list as its a lot of stuff that needs to be put together.

5. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Also.

After spending about £70 re-tubing my guitar amp, I have been jamming since I had them delivered since 10am this morning. Its been a while since i've actually sat down and played this long.

6. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    With holidays etc. coming up, i can't afford to get 2xGTX680s at anywhere near 2nd price, ha.

Special favours though, i'm good at them.

7. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I was talking about my 6970s but suit yourself :p

MoonPig says thanks.
  8. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Long day.

9. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Hands off piggy... Trades for that 6970? :p

10. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    hmmmm....

the only real trades i can really consider at the moment is a 512GB SSD as i need one for my games. I was gonna say a Asus Xonar Phoebus but im ditching my soundcard for a home entertainment 5.1 speaker+AV setup so thats useless for me.

Like I said. I most likely wont be able to do anything until after christmas some time (just released next month is december!)

Ugh.... I will most likely have to sell my 6970s for £130 after christmas.... so much for paying more than £300 each back in the day.

11. KieX

Thanks Received:
    No worries, was worth a shot :laugh: Yeah, depreciation is bummer. But I imagine you can probably still sell those for more, 130 seems very low. CEX buy them for around £195

FreedomEclipse says thanks.
  12. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Where? showing as £90 for me? they actually sell them for £180.

13. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I was still a little drunk from last night it seems. Was searching for 7970 instead of 6970 :slap:

14. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Bought a mint DirectCU II 6970 from AvForums for 105 delivered. Mad bargain, and it seems to be brand new!

BF3 is nice at 1080p 70fps.

15. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sup chaps, I'm looking to buy an AMD FX 8350 soon, and I'd hoped you guys could give me a few sites to have a look at with decent prices on these things. I know nowhere is in stock (except Overclockers.co.uk but they're prices are ridiculously inflated...(£180)) but I wont be buying it until the h100i hits the shelves as well.

16. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Dabs.com They will have it for £150 which isn't a bad price really is it. :)

17. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Are they legit and well reviewed?

18. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    lol yes

edit: when I was doing IT procurement for a startup we used Dabs for almost all and they were great, good terms, sent stuff without a PO in advance (!) and even helped a lot with returns when we ordered the wrong stuff (before DSR). That was about 2003 though...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    DABS is owned by BT. I do have an account with them and I have bought stuff from them in the past but I got immensely annoyed with them when I ordered something that they claimed to have plenty of stock of waited more then a week after paying for next day delivery only to find out that the item was out of stock. Not only did they not inform me that the item was out of stock, they failed to update me on the stock levels, keep their website updated and already took my money for the purchase.

I cancelled my order and bought what i needed elsewhere. it took a while for them to refund me.

even though Im not a huge fan of SCAN, SCAN and ebuyer will always be my #1 when it comes to looking for stuff. SCAN in particular tend to have a greater range of stock then quite a few of the other big e-tailers.

20. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    I won a CS:S competition that DABS sponsored (Didn't go with the intention of playing it, i'm not like that), so yeah - i'd say they were. Never bought from the site though.

21. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    I gave Overclockers.co.uk a friendly call, and they will happily price match... almost anything o_O going to see if i can get them down to dabs prices, as they seem to have some in stock.

22. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Pity you still have to give OcUK money in that scenario.

Oh, wait. They're owned by caseking.de now, irrc. I retract my previous statement.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    Millennium says thanks.
  23. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ebuyer's price is getting worse by the week, which sucks.

24. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    My problem is not that their prices are high, but the fact that they have switched to using Parcelforce.

Not only did parcelforce lose part of my order for an entire day when it should have arrived at my doorstep that very morning, the delivery guy was totally unapologetic when my order was found and delivered a few days later, No apologies were given when i pointed out that the goods i ordered were for next day delivery.

Prior to that I had already contacted ebuyer telling them I was shipping their goods back for a refund as I had already sourced the remaining parts I needed elsewhere to meet the deadline I had to stick to for the build I was doing.

a pick up was booked via parcel force, driver never turned up that day or the next. Called Ebuyer up to complain about the situation. they told me no pick up was booked - However I was already emailed the booking details and I had the tracking details for the pick up and the tracking number worked on the parceforce website but no pickup was made.

another pickup was booked. driver was a no show again. Called ebuyer for the 3rd time and demanded an explanation or at least a refund of the bill If i was to send the goods back to them via DHL as Parcelforce are being so unreliable.

I Know the problem is not ebuyer themselves but they bare some of the responsibility for hiring parcelforce to do their deliveries. Ebuyer apologised and said they would find out whats going on with P.F, was put on hold for about 3mins, guy comes back and tells me that a driver should definitely be on route for pickup.

I Politely told him that I understood that ebuyer wasnt at fault for wasting my time. but they were partly to blame and since this is the 2nd, 3rd or 4th issue ive had with P.F in the same week and that if they continue to use P.F for their deliveries then I will take my business elsewhere.

the service that parcelforce are running actually makes HDNL who are like the worst of the worst when it comes to couriers look damn good.

25. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    ParcelForce suck... I've had a few thing's from them where the outer box has been damaged which is no surprise if you actually watch them get the items out the van to drag them down your driveway...

+1 They are very ignorant to it's like sign here, by the time it takes me to write my signature they've practically left.

Lucky for Ebuyer I've never had any issues with the items in the boxes!